FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 2007

Tony The Tiger
I emailed a talent agency a Word document in .docx format. I believe that file format was introduced in Windows 2007. An agent from the office called me to say that they do not have software to open a .docx file. Does that mean that A.) the office is running on Windows 2004? B.) The office is an Apple software office or C.) the guy was looking for an excuse to call me on the phone? I ended up talking to the guy for 45 minutes about my scripts.
william
Well, to be fair, Windows XP still enjoys a large market share, so it's possible he only had Office 2003 (which is what was generally preinstalled on XP systems). I'm not even sure if Microsoft's Word Viewer supports .docx yet, but I haven't checked in a while.

That said, OpenOffice (and LibreOffice) are free and can open .docx, so anybody can gain the ability to open .docx files.
the_emissary
Or he's not keeping abreast with advancements in technology.
crazyfffan
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I emailed a talent agency a Word document in .docx format. I believe that file format was introduced in Windows 2007. An agent from the office called me to say that they do not have software to open a .docx file. Does that mean that A.) the office is running on Windows 2004? B.) The office is an Apple software office or C.) the guy was looking for an excuse to call me on the phone? I ended up talking to the guy for 45 minutes about my scripts.

There's no such thing as Windows 2007. You're probably talking about Office 2007.
There's no such thing as Windows 2004.
There's nothing to do with Windows if someone can't open a docx file. There's also nothing to do with Apple or the operating system in general.
If your "talent agency" confirms that he has a Windows operating system, and he has Office of version lower than 2007, there's a fantastic tool called "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack" that will help him open the file.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=3
But this is so basic, even my nephew of 10 years old know the fix, a "talent agency" can't be not knowing. So I'll go with C): He's trying to call you.
sysna
Yes there is no windows 2007 and no windows 2004 ! this means probably they are using office 2003 and can't open your files, you can save your docx files in doc format using office 2007 easily and send to them.

I know many companies that are still using office 2003.
Tony The Tiger
sysna wrote:
Yes there is no windows 2007 and no windows 2004 ! this means probably they are using office 2003 and can't open your files, you can save your docx files in doc format using office 2007 easily and send to them.

I know many companies that are still using office 2003.

I meant Office 2007 and Windows 2004 (or 2003).