FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 8

Tony The Tiger
Is it just me or is Windows 8 a step backwards from Windows 7. I can't figure out how to do anything that I use to be able to do without even thinking.
johans
Windows 8.1 is now released.

2013 breaking news: MS Windows now coming with Start button included!
silverdown
windows is trying to be like apple, which it never will, the fact the bill gates claim (as some sites have said) to want to right it wrong with the start button, media packaging and other bad business moves just shows, the consumers are finally in control. Though the installation of the preview then to the final version shows potential money making scheme to have people buy support packages in order to cleanly and to get first class support from windows 8 to windows 8.1 preview to the final version of windows 8.1 final version. I still like windows 7 and bill gates can keep windows 8, 8.1 preview and 8.1 final. hopefully when i need a new computer in 5 to 10 years windows 9 is better...
crazyfffan
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Is it just me or is Windows 8 a step backwards from Windows 7. I can't figure out how to do anything that I use to be able to do without even thinking.

Windows 8 is something completely new, not just another shinny polished version of its predecessor. You still can do everything as you used to do with windows 7, but it's a little bit trickier to be familiar with. My advise is to stick with it for a day or two, you'll figure out most of the things.
Tony The Tiger
crazyfffan wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Windows 8 is something completely new, not just another shinny polished version of its predecessor. You still can do everything as you used to do with windows 7, but it's a little bit trickier to be familiar with. My advise is to stick with it for a day or two, you'll figure out most of the things.

It takes a lot of patience to figure out how to do everything.
Tony The Tiger
johans wrote:
Windows 8.1 is now released.

2013 breaking news: MS Windows now coming with Start button included!

How do I upgrade to Windows 8.1? Is it a free upgrade?
Arrogant
8 is a disaster
Im having problems with connectivity alot these days.
Just restored the system and it works fine now.
sodron
Arrogant wrote:
8 is a disaster

i will troble with connectivity anyone solve this asap
Tony The Tiger
Arrogant wrote:
8 is a disaster

I have been having connectivity issues too, but I was fairly certain it has something to do with my WPA/WEP setting. I have my home network set up to be receptive to my 2003 Windows XP Dell Inspiron 8200. However, once I get my new backup (former primary) computer, (2010 Windows 7 HP Pavilion DV7 3100) back up and running I will call my provider to go to a more normal setting for the 2010 and my 2013 Windows 8 HP Envy DV7 as well as my 2012 Samsung Google Chromebook. Then, I can say whether I am really having connection difficulties.
DerIcyferg
Windows 8 is a giant pile of horseshit.
RoylanM
I honestly thought about getting windows eight but after reading reviews and asking my friend who brought it, I decided that I'd stay with my windows 7 ultimate. It looks good for show but it's rougher than a construction workers hands.
dxverm
I've used windows 8 and once you get used to it, its not so bad on a TV or tablet, but for hardcore workstation work ie, actually trying to do WORK ... its flat out horrible. Stick with windows 7 until something better comes out which probably won't. So Win 7 might be the best this world has to offer us Smile
Blummer
dxverm wrote:
I've used windows 8 and once you get used to it, its not so bad on a TV or tablet, but for hardcore workstation work ie, actually trying to do WORK ... its flat out horrible. Stick with windows 7 until something better comes out which probably won't. So Win 7 might be the best this world has to offer us Smile

Interesting point, I've been using it on a laptop since the beta came out and I'm ok with it, I even tried 8.1, but it sucked since not all the drivers worked.
StriderVM
Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment that Windows 8 is intended for use on Tablets and similar touch devices. Trying to use Metro using mouse is too clunky while using a touch screen for normal Windows operations is a chore.

Worse, I don't remember any games that specifically works only on Windows 8. Unless it's from the Marketplace. So it really doesn't help on things.
telseq
Tony The Tiger wrote:

What about you install a windows 7 look alike?
Da Rossa
Like I said in another topic, Windows 8.1 is good, but still has some annoying problems about stability and compatibility. Drivers are not fully functional and gaming does make the cassis heat. I don't know why.
The Start screen is fantastic. The drawback could be the lack of the traditional games, such as the Chess and Solitaire. There is a way to bring them back, but it's a hassle.
nanuvem
I am using windows 8 and I must say it is a pleasant surprise. It has some issues but no more than it's successful predecessors (98,XP,7) when they arrived at the scene, imho.

If you don't like change stick with 7 but I would put windows 8 at the same level (just needs polishing on some of the new functionality).