FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpBB : Critical Error Events

deanhills
I seem to be getting these error messages more often than I have before. This was my second one for the day and my second visit for the day, so could have been down in spurts at other times as well. These events started over the weekend during the morning GMT+4, and now seem to have made it to night time too. Any one else experiencing the same thing?

Quote:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Source: http://www.frihost.com/
CHAOS-THEORY
they obviously just changed the database location &/or infos thats why the phpbb website couldn't connect to it temporary, its mainly due to an update or a backup. nothing that really matters to u (;

For FriHost; to make the forum in maintainance Mod, just change index.php file name to something like index1.php, then create another index.php and write in it "Forum Under Maintainance, we will be Back Shortly", to dont make ur users wait unexpectedly. check my website http://wwGz.tk i just put it in maintainance Mod just to show you. i ll get it back shortly i hope u dnt miss
deanhills
Thanks for going to the trouble of creating a Web page, quite probable. Tonight when the server had gone completely under, it first came up with an "SQL Error: 2006 - MySQL server has gone away" and then "Can't find the server".

I'm sure Bondings is watching over it as it is up and running again.
CHAOS-THEORY
Yeah as i said the problem is mainly the webhost or a problem in the sql db infos... now it seems all quiet good; and nahh it not a problem i wanted to lock my website temporarly before so i took the occasion to show off a trick thats all (;
manfer
This is not a maintenance/backup problem. The frihost website is having problems, real problems. That error is appearing quite often, serveral times a day.

The error that is appearing here is not very helpful at all and only the admin can know the real problem by checking the logs. I bet mysql database overloaded for whatever reason.
deanhills
manfer wrote:
This is not a maintenance/backup problem. The frihost website is having problems, real problems. That error is appearing quite often, serveral times a day.

The error that is appearing here is not very helpful at all and only the admin can know the real problem by checking the logs. I bet mysql database overloaded for whatever reason.
True. May be a good idea to move the Frihost Forum to Server 4 until Servers 1 and 2 are in good shape again. Server 4 ironically seems to have had the least number of issues over a longer period of time.
CHAOS-THEORY
quiet often doesn't mean its a server problem... besides that error is not due to overloading obviously. my clients always get the Mysql error whenever i am updating/changing the Mysql db; cause as he declared in the error :

its critical error, database not found. and its mainly due to one of these 3 reasons :
> they deleted the database to restore it again from backup.
> the config file of phpbb is missing/corrupted/ or have wrong credentials,
> or the server lost connection to db which is far away from true unless the whole website server shuts down with it, cause am sure the databse is located at the same server with the ftp webserver host.
this is the right answer, no more no less.

i dont get any errors at all so, its settled down.
manfer
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
quiet often doesn't mean its a server problem... besides that error is not due to overloading obviously. my clients always get the Mysql error whenever i am updating/changing the Mysql db; cause as he declared in the error :

its critical error, database not found. and its mainly due to one of these 3 reasons :
> they deleted the database to restore it again from backup.
> the config file of phpbb is missing/corrupted/ or have wrong credentials,
> or the server lost connection to db which is far away from true unless the whole website server shuts down with it, cause am sure the databse is located at the same server with the ftp webserver host.
this is the right answer, no more no less.

i dont get any errors at all so, its settled down.

A database server can go down without necessarely the whole server going down. I don't know where you get that idea that if mysql is down the whole server is down. Not to mention that the database server and other servers don't necessarely need to be on the same server (though most probable they are, but not mandatory, and a lot less nowadays that we are moving to cloud technologies).

I don't see anywhere a database not found error. What the error shows is "Could not connect to the database". We are here talking about frihost.com website errors. I don't know if you are talking about your own experience on your own site which is interesting but not necessarely the same than frihost problem.

The not found error shown by deanhills on the second message is most probably explained by the fact that the server was coming back from a shutdown. It is easily to imagine that the database server probably was still not up and the web server was already up and deanhills got that message for that reason.
deanhills wrote:
Thanks for going to the trouble of creating a Web page, quite probable. Tonight when the server had gone completely under, it first came up with an "SQL Error: 2006 - MySQL server has gone away" and then "Can't find the server".

I'm sure Bondings is watching over it as it is up and running again.

The forum was getting those errors too often (from a normal operation) on different hours of the day and different consecutive days and that's why was almost sure not a maintenance/backup issue. Don't know if still is having errors, I'm not sure, but it was in the moment I replied, as I replied to let deanhills know that I got the error more than once a day -different hours- and several days.

What is totally obvious is that if the whole server is down you don't even get the error from mybb as apache webser is down and doesn't reply to your request. So what you would get on that case is one of the default errors from your browser that indicates the connection can't be established or just a DNS resolution error if the DNS Servers are failing too. Not the case. We were receiving a MyBB phpBB error. (apache up, database with problems)
CHAOS-THEORY
omg dude do u understand english ?, read what i said again -.- ....i couldn't follow all what you said with all that miss spelling but; don't you know what phpbb is ? and who said that the whole server is down ?
i know what type of error is related to what for, if i didn't i wouldn't even post, so dont argue too much, phpbb is phpbb no more no less. and its not about the server, its about the forum system. its the same as my website/forum... besides nowadays webservers hostings always includes an unlimited number of dbs, even free hosting services. and they are all including it in one server with the webhosting of course. who needs a db that is working while the website is not in 2 different servers ???? and as i explained the critical error. i wont repeat it again cause its so obvious except for someone that never used phpbb.
look what i found for u Critical Error Phpbb - Frihost
btw its just an error dont panic or someting... *out*
manfer
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
omg dude do u understand english ?, read what i said again -.- ....i couldn't follow all what you said with all that miss spelling but; don't you know what phpbb is ? and who said that the whole server is down ?
i know what type of error is related to what for, if i didn't i wouldn't even post, so dont argue too much, phpbb is phpbb no more no less. and its not about the server, its about the forum system. its the same as my website/forum... besides nowadays webservers hostings always includes an unlimited number of dbs, even free hosting services. and they are all including it in one server with the webhosting of course. who needs a db that is working while the website is not in 2 different servers ???? and as i explained the critical error. i wont repeat it again cause its so obvious except for someone that never used phpbb.
look what i found for u Critical Error Phpbb - Frihost
btw its just an error dont panic or someting... *out*

Nonsense is the only thing that I can reply to this. If you can't understand my english must be your problem because I'm sure my english is not so so so bad. Followed with a real explanation on phpBB code.

If we talk about phpBB2 (I recall reading somewhere this website is not using last phpBB software because of the large amount of customizations made to the original phpBB code, maybe even it is using phpBB 1 but anyway can't be very different than phpBB2).

From /includes/db.php
Code:

// Make the database connection.
$db = new sql_db($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpasswd, $dbname, false);
if(!$db->db_connect_id)
{
   message_die(CRITICAL_ERROR, "Could not connect to the database");
}

From /db/mysql.php
Code:

//
   // Constructor
   //
   function sql_db($sqlserver, $sqluser, $sqlpassword, $database, $persistency = true)
   {

$this->persistency = $persistency;
      $this->user = $sqluser;
      $this->password = $sqlpassword;
      $this->server = $sqlserver;
      $this->dbname = $database;

if($this->persistency)
      {
         $this->db_connect_id = @mysql_pconnect($this->server, $this->user, $this->password);
      }
      else
      {
         $this->db_connect_id = @mysql_connect($this->server, $this->user, $this->password);
      }
      if($this->db_connect_id)
      {
         if($database != "")
         {
            $this->dbname = $database;
            $dbselect = @mysql_select_db($this->dbname);
            if(!$dbselect)
            {
               @mysql_close($this->db_connect_id);
               $this->db_connect_id = $dbselect;
            }
         }
         return $this->db_connect_id;
      }
      else
      {
         return false;
      }
   }

mysql_connect from php documentation
Quote:

Returns a MySQL link identifier on success or FALSE on failure.

So for any coder should be totally obvious that phpBB returns the not very helpful error message "Could not connect to the database" if it can't establish a connection to the database for whatever reason. A reason we can't know from that error message and only the admin can know by inspecting the server logs. Being one of the possibilities that the database server was going down intermittently for a reason we can't know.

So "don't worry, or it is for sure maintenance/backup" doesn't seem to me the best advice without having the minor look into the logs. And if I were the admin would look into logs to know what happened to receive those connection errors in several moments and several days.

And in my opinion is less possible that the reason were a misconfigured config file nor a maintenance/backup issue because of the so many times the error happened.

-----------------------------------------------

And if we talk about phpBB3 (though I repeat from what I recall reading in this forum is not the version used).

Really I was going to make same thing for phpBB3 but doesn't worth it. If you want you can do it yourself as for your words you have a huge knowledge of phpBB. What I would say is using phpBB3 and msqli (which is the library I would expect to be used with a MySQL database in a phpBB3 forum installation) you are not going to ever receive an error such as "Could not connect to the database" as that is not one of the messages spitted out by msqli library. Well same using the old mysql library with phpBB3. Both use the more verbose mySQL errors which don't contain a message such "Could not connect to the database".

Other readings
MySQL error codes and messages
phpBB3 mysqli.php
phpBB3 mysql.php
CHAOS-THEORY
if u consider what i said none sense then what should i consider ur copypaste ?

other readings :

http://www.learnenglish.de/ ??
manfer
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
if u consider what i said none sense then what should i consider ur copypaste ?

other readings :

http://www.learnenglish.de/ ??

Just nonsense again. Copy&Paste?. LOL LOL LOL ROLF.

What I would like to know is if you have the minor idea to read code. I bet you understood nothing of my message and that's why you had a tantrum. Just so funny. And I don't mean to be rude but kid attitude makes no sense and maybe is something your parents allow you to do but that attitude in a serious forum and trying to talk seriously with people... ROLF.

And I'm not going to continue with this because is totally off topic.

I explained clearly what I had to explain about the error and anyone that wants to read it seriously can read it. And anyone that don't want to do it, I don't mind at all.
CHAOS-THEORY
Quote:
...nonsense again. Copy&Paste?. LOL LOL LOL ROLF.

Quote:
..mean to be rude but kid attitude makes..

-.- < mature enough
deanhills
Looks like a fairly major crash of Server 2 this afternoon. When I tried to log into Frihost it came up with this error message:

phpBB : Critical Error Could not connect to the database

I don't know how long it lasted. When I logged into Frihost for the first time today at approx 4:10 p.m. (GMT+4), Frihost was down. Then had to run an errand immediately after and when I returned approx 50 minutes later it was still down.

Website on Server 1 was working perfect though. So looks as though only Server 2 was down. Most relieved when the server came back on approximately 5:20 p.m.
manfer
There is some kind of issue for sure. With the server were frihost.com website is hosted as a whole or with the database server in particular.

Server1 and server4 has nothing in common. I mean they are in different datacenters. That's why an issue in one of those servers is not going to be related at all with an issue in one of the others.

And those two servers has nothing in common with server2 and server3, which are in a different datacenter, far from the other two.

Seems server2 and server3 are same server (maybe they started being two different servers and later the accounts were joined into just one).

frihost.com website seems to be on its own server but this server shares something in common with server2 and server3 (at least same datacenter) or maybe even a different virtual server on same computer or some other similar configuration (it could be even just same server serving two different IPs).

As explained before the error that appears here and that comes from phpBB "Critical Error: Could not connect to database" doesn't provide any clue about the issue and only the admin by looking at the logs can find out what is happening. The only thing that you can be sure when that error happens is that the web server is online because phpBB is the one replying and that it can not connect to the database for an unknown reason. For sure is not maintenance nor a misconfiguration and more than probable is something that is going to continue happening regularly until resolved. It all indicates to be an overload issue on the database itself or CPU overload that affects the whole server.
deanhills
@Manfer The reason I posted this event, was for the Admin to take note of what my experience had been - for the record. As you so rightly pointed out he is the only one who can investigate.
manfer
deanhills wrote:
@Manfer The reason I posted this event, was for the Admin to take note of what my experience had been - for the record. As you so rightly pointed out he is the only one who can investigate.

I know. And your message is great because he now even has a specific timeframe in which to look at. Quite useful.
deanhills
An exact same critical event as the one reported on before at 5:45 p.m. GMT+4.

Quote:

deanhills
Another critical event at 4:00 a.m. GMT+4. Seems to be more regularly now.
codegeek
Yes, I got the error yesterday. It actually continued for 2 or 3 refreshes but it stopped after that.
johans
yap, i just notice it also more often

If the site needs to re-design then i will volunteer here in frihost.
zimmer
deanhills wrote:
I seem to be getting these error messages more often than I have before. This was my second one for the day and my second visit for the day, so could have been down in spurts at other times as well. These events started over the weekend during the morning GMT+4, and now seem to have made it to night time too. Any one else experiencing the same thing?

Quote:

Source: http://www.frihost.com/

Indeed. What happens? I thought it is on my browser but official tread posted here.
deanhills
There were ZERO Critical Error events today. I was also on more often than I was on previous days, so well done and thanks for fixing the problem! Cool
manfer
Today at arround 15:00 UTC the forums were down again because the MySQL Server on Server 2 was down, and only the MySQL Server, the rest of Servers (Apache, DNS, Mail and FTP) were up.
deanhills
Server 1 seems to be partially down at time of writing this post. No e-mails, cpanel access or mysql database.
deanhills
Server 2 phpBB critical error. Forum went down for a few minutes a few minutes ago.
twotrophy
Frihost is still quite good compared to other free hosts even after such incidents which tend to happen every few months. I hope that this would come to the attention of Bondings soon. I hope that it would not take too much of his time. I think that I am using server 4.
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:
Frihost is still quite good compared to other free hosts even after such incidents which tend to happen every few months. I hope that this would come to the attention of Bondings soon. I hope that it would not take too much of his time. I think that I am using server 4.
I'm sure Bondings knows about it and he is waiting for some time available to move to a new server, like he had with Server 4 a while ago. Server 4 had some serious problems 2/3 years ago, and it seems to have been fixed once it was moved to a new server, although there has been the odd complaint recently. But not to the same extent as Server 1. I don't think there are many active Frihost users on Server 1, so that's probably why there aren't as many complaints. All of the new Websites I think are on Server 4, so if anything goes wrong there, quite a number of people would complain about it.