FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

node.js and its benefits

Qantas94Heavy
I've been taking a look at node.js and how it works - is there any reason in particular (apart from scaling ability) to use node.js for a production site? Also, is it possible to setup node.js and PHP on the same server for development? That would be cool to see just how the node.js way of things is different to PHP in real world situations. Thanks!
zacky
According to Wikipedia, Node.js is a server side JS and as well as server itself.

Quote:
Node.js contains a built-in HTTP server library, making it possible to run a web server without the use of external software, such as Apache or Lighttpd, and allowing more control of how the web server work

In short, it is far different just from PHP. Instead you may want it to compare to PHP + Apache or PHP + Nginx.

I haven't tried to have real projects using node.js but my on development blog is currently built in node.js + AngularJS + mongodb.. of course it includes all npm packages I need.

I think it is nonsense to combine PHP with node.js since first of all, as of writing, you cannot run PHP on node server.