FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Definition of Marriage

nickfyoung
Quote:
"Dear Mr. Obama,

I learned recently that you have 'evolving' views on marriage. Just so I am in full understanding, you are saying you no longer believe that marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman. If it is now open to interpretation then what is it?

At the San Francisco Marriage Counter:
"Next.
"Good morning. We want to apply for a marriage license."
"Names?
Tim and Jim Jones."
"Jones?? Are you related?? I see a resemblance."
"Yes, we're brothers."
"Brothers?? You can't get married.
"Why not?? Aren't you giving marriage licenses to same gender couples?
"Yes, thousands. But we haven't had any siblings. That's incest!"
"Incest?" No, we are not gay."
"Not gay?? Then why do you want to get married?"
"For the financial benefits, of course. And we do love each other.
Besides, we don't have any other prospects."
"But we're issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples who've been denied equal protection under the law. If you are not gay, you can get married to a woman.
"Wait a minute. A gay man has the same right to marry a woman as I have. But just because I'm straight doesn't mean I want to marry a woman. I want to marry Jim."
"And I want to marry Tim, Are you going to discriminate against us just because we are not gay?"
"All right, all right. I'll give you your license.

Next."
"Hi. We are here to get married."
"Names?"
"John Smith, Jane James, Robert Green, and June Johnson.
"Who wants to marry whom?"
"We all want to marry each other."
"But there are four of you!"
"That's right. You see, we're all bisexual. I love Jane and Robert, Jane loves me and June, June loves Robert and Jane, and Robert loves June and me. All of us getting married together is the only way that we can express our sexual preferences in a marital relationship."
"But we've only been granting licenses to gay and lesbian couples."
"So you're discriminating against bisexuals!"
"No, it's just that, well, the traditional idea of marriage is that it's just for couples."
"Since when are you standing on tradition?"
"Well, I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere.
"Who says?? There's no logical reason to limit marriage to couples.
The more the better. Besides, we demand our rights! The mayor says the constitution guarantees equal protection under the law. Give us a marriage license!"
"All right, all right. Next."

"Hello, I'd like a marriage license."
"In what names?"
"David Deets.
"And the other man?"
"That's all. I want to marry myself."
"Marry yourself?? What do you mean?"
"Well, my psychiatrist says I have a dual personality, so I want to marry the two together. Maybe I can file a joint income-tax return."
"That does it!? I quit!!? You people are making a mockery of marriage!!"

So Mr. Obama, exactly how evolved are you???"

Copied from an email.

Add quotes when copy-pasting.
Quotes added by Vanilla.
truespeed
I take it you are against the idea of Gay marriage Nick? Smile
nickfyoung
truespeed wrote:

Doesn't make much sense to me although I am resigned the fact that it will eventually be universal..
the_emissary
I know this is a forum and we're supposed to discuss things here, but think of the amount of time we waste thinking about or talking about gay marriage...

Valuable time that could be used reading the series of rich dad poor dad books or think and grow rich... think about it.
truespeed
nickfyoung wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Doesn't make much sense to me although I am resigned the fact that it will eventually be universal..

Marriage in general doesn't really make much sense,but if you are to allow opposite couples to marry,it seems only fair to allow same sex couples to marry.
nickfyoung
truespeed wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Marriage in general doesn't really make much sense,but if you are to allow opposite couples to marry,it seems only fair to allow same sex couples to marry.

Can't disagree with you there. It certainly seems fair. It is taking me a while to get used the idea.

Another email along the same lines. Seems to be a source of jokes in some circles.

""
Quote:
For those who haven't heard:

New Zealand just passed both laws - gay marriage and legalized marijuana.

The fact that gay marriage and marijuana were legalized on the same day

makes perfect biblical sense because Leviticus 20:13 says,

"If a man lies with another man they should be stoned."

We just hadn't interpreted it correctly before!
""

I have put quotes at the start and end of the bit I copied.

Are you saying I should put quotes on every line.

OK I can't seem to get quotes to work now. What am I doing wrong.
icon-lille
faut arreter les gars aujourd'hui ca sert a rien de se marier!!

Moderator Google translation wrote:
must stop guys today ca is pointless to marry!

-Ankhanu
deanhills
For me marriage is a contract where two people with legal status of consent (according to their country's laws) enter into a legally binding contract with one another, called "marriage". Regardless of sex, faith, religion, whatever.
nickfyoung
I asked the question on the Faith forum but haven't got a reply. If a lady has been separated for 30 odd year and her ex has a new partner with his kids, is she still married to this guy. By law she is because she has never had it annulled but is she in the eyes of the church.

I am talking about the Philippines where the church is opposed to gay marriage. If the law was introduced there to approve gay marriage and the church was still in opposition to it then the church would not recognize the marriage. So you would have legally married gay couples with their marriage not sanctioned by the church.

To go back to the first point, an annulment can take several years in the Philippines and this lady and her new partner are of mature age. Being both members of the church it would be frowned upon for them to live together before being married.

My point is, is it fair for them to have to wait years at their age when she is clearly not married to her ex and has not been for 30 odd years. It would be the same as the analogy of the gay marriage. She is still legally married but not necessarily in the eyes of the church.
Nyasro
Marriage is i think a way to have life time friend, supporter, helper and specially a life-partner