FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Will they ever make another good ORIGINAL Sci-Fi movie?





Cruxader
Just got done reading the After Earth reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, apparently this movie may be worse than Battlefied Earth. Not good. I'm really starting to question if there will ever be another good original Sci-Fi movie? Granted, the new Star Treks are pretty good, but they are based off of a very well developed foundation, so they are certainly not original.

Avatar was the last original Sci-Fi I can think of that was pretty good, but not great in my opinion. To be honest, it was basically Pocahontas in space though...

Any thoughts? Am I forgetting an obvious one?
catscratches
You're forgetting Moon.
Vanilla
Prometheus counts? I know it's part of a bigger universe (the Alien one), but I really enjoyed it. The story is good, the characters are believable, the movie flows without major flaws. My only complaint is that some of the characters are just too dumb to live.

There's Oblivion too, its note on IMDB is pretty high. I'm not that into sci-fi movies, so that's all I can think about.
Cruxader
Vanilla wrote:
Prometheus counts? I know it's part of a bigger universe (the Alien one), but I really enjoyed it. The story is good, the characters are believable, the movie flows without major flaws. My only complaint is that some of the characters are just too dumb to live.

There's Oblivion too, its note on IMDB is pretty high. I'm not that into sci-fi movies, so that's all I can think about.


I disagree about Prometheus. The cinematography and special effects were top notch, but the story was shallow and the characters were downright stupid. I'm not saying that from the standpoint of "I think they're stupid." What I'm saying is they made REALLY dumb decisions.

I haven't seen Oblivion so I can't really comment on it. Although I imagine Tom Cruise over acted in it.

I did forget about Moon. It was pretty good I guess.
Vanilla
Cruxader wrote:
I disagree about Prometheus. The cinematography and special effects were top notch, but the story was shallow and the characters were downright stupid. I'm not saying that from the standpoint of "I think they're stupid." What I'm saying is they made REALLY dumb decisions.


Yes, I have to agree with you on that. I did wish that Charlize Theron's character got more screen time, she was the only sane person in that ship. But I enjoyed it, dumb characters and all. Guess I didn't care much about the story because I'm more into Fantasy than Sci-fi, but it wasn't bad for me. Very Happy
Radar
I think the problem you're running into is the definition of 'original'. Okay, the plot of Avatar does seem familiar, but some people hold to the idea that nothing is truly original. Everything is, in some way, based on something else, nothing occurs in a void. There will be plenty of movies that aren't sequels, most movies aren't, I don't think, and I hope that many of them are good.
Klaw 2
Vanilla wrote:
Cruxader wrote:
I disagree about Prometheus. The cinematography and special effects were top notch, but the story was shallow and the characters were downright stupid. I'm not saying that from the standpoint of "I think they're stupid." What I'm saying is they made REALLY dumb decisions.


Yes, I have to agree with you on that. I did wish that Charlize Theron's character got more screen time, she was the only sane person in that ship. But I enjoyed it, dumb characters and all. Guess I didn't care much about the story because I'm more into Fantasy than Sci-fi, but it wasn't bad for me. Very Happy


If you also watch the deleted scenes the movie will make a lot more sense...
They are available on the blue-ray disc...
Cruxader
Klaw 2 wrote:
Vanilla wrote:
Cruxader wrote:
I disagree about Prometheus. The cinematography and special effects were top notch, but the story was shallow and the characters were downright stupid. I'm not saying that from the standpoint of "I think they're stupid." What I'm saying is they made REALLY dumb decisions.


Yes, I have to agree with you on that. I did wish that Charlize Theron's character got more screen time, she was the only sane person in that ship. But I enjoyed it, dumb characters and all. Guess I didn't care much about the story because I'm more into Fantasy than Sci-fi, but it wasn't bad for me. Very Happy


If you also watch the deleted scenes the movie will make a lot more sense...
They are available on the blue-ray disc...


I haven't seen the deleted scenes. However, the movie did make sense to me. The problem I had with it was the characters were down right dumb. I mean it was seriously like watching teens in a B grade slasher flick. A "scientist" just decides to take off his helmet on a previously unexplored planet because the O2 levels are about right. Doesn't seem to care that there could be anything else floating around in the air that could kill him? "Hey there is a guy we KNOW was killed hunched over in front of the ship. Let's open up and let him in." I could go on.

Or a great example of something similar was from Star Wars Phantom Menace when Amidala's counsel-man jumps to the totally unfounded conclusion that "Our communications are down, it MUST be an invasion." I realize people make rash decisions in the heat of the moment, but c'mon.

Listen, I love the first 3 Alien films, but this was a pretty badly written movie. To be honest, I still enjoyed it, but that was more for the special effects. It could've been a great movie.
Klaw 2
Cruxader wrote:

I haven't seen the deleted scenes. However, the movie did make sense to me. The problem I had with it was the characters were down right dumb. I mean it was seriously like watching teens in a B grade slasher flick. A "scientist" just decides to take off his helmet on a previously unexplored planet because the O2 levels are about right. Doesn't seem to care that there could be anything else floating around in the air that could kill him? "Hey there is a guy we KNOW was killed hunched over in front of the ship. Let's open up and let him in." I could go on.

Or a great example of something similar was from Star Wars Phantom Menace when Amidala's counsel-man jumps to the totally unfounded conclusion that "Our communications are down, it MUST be an invasion." I realize people make rash decisions in the heat of the moment, but c'mon.

Listen, I love the first 3 Alien films, but this was a pretty badly written movie. To be honest, I still enjoyed it, but that was more for the special effects. It could've been a great movie.


Yes some things aren't really realistic but some things are explained many people thought it was weird that the biologist tried to get close to the snake...
In the deleted scenes you can see he found other life first and collected them and then got euforic...
Pippo90
I really hope that Sci-Fi genre will rise again! To me the current "problem" is that in a sense we are living in the future: there are so fast improvements in technology (something which I found amazing), that maybe the man in the street does not really need Sci-Fi. And we know that the men in the street are the majority by definition. Smile
catscratches
To me that seems like it would make sci-fi more relevant than ever...
Cruxader
Pippo90 wrote:
I really hope that Sci-Fi genre will rise again! To me the current "problem" is that in a sense we are living in the future: there are so fast improvements in technology (something which I found amazing), that maybe the man in the street does not really need Sci-Fi. And we know that the men in the street are the majority by definition. Smile


You def have a point. If you watch older Sci-Fi films, even ones that are considered "classic" you almost have to laugh at the "technology" that's depicted in them. 2001 A Space Odyssey comes to mind.
Blummer
Sadly times of good sci-fi are gone. For me. Maybe only 1-2 in every 10 sci-fi films is enjoyable for me personally.
Cruxader
The Enders Game movie that is coming out might be good. That book was quite good.
Pande
I miss James Cameron's "Aliens", what a perfect movie.
Insanity
I agree with the Ender's Game post. I read the books and thought they were pretty good, so I'm excited to see how they change things with the movie adaptation. Hopefully it stays true to the book, although I think there are sections where it would be hard to portray, such as Ender's inner thoughts and such. Anyways, I think that it was a sciece fiction book, so it should be a science fiction movie. The trailers look pretty good too. So there's that to look forward to.
Blummer
Also looking forward for Ender's game films. Just obtained a few books and enjoyed the first few paragraphs, looks really magnetic.
manfer
District 9 (2009) directed by Neill Blomkamp which is practically from the same date as Avatar (just three or four months earlier at most) is a very very good sci-fi movie too.

A new sci-fi by Blomkamp Elysium is planned to be on theaters on August this year (at the date of this post it is in about three weeks).

Besides:

  • Inception (2010)
  • Iron Man 2 (2010)
  • Super 8 (2011)
  • Looper (2012)
  • Chronicle (2012)
  • The Hunger Games (2012)
  • Prometheus (2012) is not bad movie. It is fine if someone doesn't like it but we can't deny is not bad movie.


and
Dredd (2012) I have not seen it but I heard it is good

Maybe I missed others, but probably not, or at most one or two. But considering we are talking about a three years timeframe it is not so small amount of enough quality sci-fi movies. There are a huge amount of bad sci-fi too on those years, but that's pretty normal.

As for me I haven't seen any good sci-fi movie on 2013. Let's see if at least Elysium and Ender's Game are good enough.





I have not seen Iron Man 3 that I think is not bad either. And this weekend it is going to be on in the US theaters R.I.P.D.



I missed the ORIGINAL on the question. That would reduce the number of films. Anyway all the listed movies are recommended.
Related topics
How often do you read sci-fi for pleasure?
Awesome Russian-language sci-fi site.
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror and the stereotypes behind them
Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
Worst Film Ever?
The Last Movie You Saw?
Is god down with computers?
Best Sci-Fi Baddies?
12 Monkeys.. one of the best sci fi movies?
Best Horror/Scary Movies
5 Awesome Sci-Fi Inventions
Avatar 2
TRON: Legacy
Top 5 sci-fi series
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Movies and Television

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.