FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do you know your politicians.





nickfyoung
Quote:
Some interesting statistics. Is your government any better.

"36 have been accused of spouse abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad cheques
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71, repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 currently are defendants in lawsuits and
84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year"

"It's the 535 members of the AUSTRALIAN PARLIAMENT

In CANBERRA "


Copied from an email.


MOD - quotes added; refer to the Frihost Forum rules and FAQ
-Ankhanu
standready
I know my crocks, I mean, politicians. Can't beat 'the machine' to vote them out either.
Nick2008
This generic list of "statistics" has been widely circulated and modified towards various governments/groups on the internet.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/congress.asp

Of course, I realize that many politicians are probably involved in all sorts of questionable activities, but finding out about them through more credible sources is pretty difficult...
deanhills
I'm not totally in favour with how statistics have been used in this instance. I'd say if we took humanity as a whole, and work these statistics on them too, then the politicians would probably come up rosy in comparison.

Hopefully however these politicians would never get elected to Government.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
I'm not totally in favour with how statistics have been used in this instance. I'd say if we took humanity as a whole, and work these statistics on them too, then the politicians would probably come up rosy in comparison.

Hopefully however these politicians would never get elected to Government.

There is research showing that those with personalities likely to seek public office are also likely to be narcissistic, risk takers with some predisposition to impulse and a disregard for consequence. Yes these behaviours are throughout society, but they're relatively concentrated in politicians (and other high status positions like lawyers and medical doctors).
Sorry, I don't have time to go digging for supporting links, and I won't for about a week.
catscratches
Yeah, you would need the statistics for the general populace for these numbers to mean anything.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
There is research showing that those with personalities likely to seek public office are also likely to be narcissistic, risk takers with some predisposition to impulse and a disregard for consequence.
I guess one could then also argue on the general populace voters side that they are generally misinformed, gullible and can't see through presentation and media gimmicks. The two go together. A well informed and educated society would make sure that candidates with these kind of personalities don't get elected. Instead we find a society who is misinformed, lacks proper education in politics to judge politicians properly, is vulnerable for being dazzled by presentation skills, etc, thereby empowering those politicians with narcissistic risk taking personalities in their risk taking pursuits that end up in criminal offenses. The one feeds off the other.
Nick2008
deanhills wrote:
Instead we find a society who is misinformed, lacks proper education in politics to judge politicians properly, is vulnerable for being dazzled by presentation skills, etc, thereby empowering those politicians with narcissistic risk taking personalities in their risk taking pursuits that end up in criminal offenses. The one feeds off the other.

Here in the United States, candidates generally put up television advertisements that attack the other candidates, saying that they did "this and this bad thing" and then the other candidates fight back against the others with the same principle. It seems like the voters are more interested in choosing the "lesser of evils" based on how they were portrayed in commercials rather than finding out who is being truthful and who is bending the data.

I feel that the candidates that put up ads that vigilantly attack other candidates are much worse than the people they are trying to deride. Personally, I give much more credit to candidates that simply talk about their ideas and positions rather than those that try to make their competitors look like pinheads.

Take for example, one of Mitt Romney's presidential ads last year - all it did was degrade Obama:



Then, take this presidential advertisement from Ron Paul. It doesn't attack or even mention any of the candidates he's up against, he simply gives a quick overview of his ideas and positions in 30 seconds:



Of course, ads are designed to influence people but a lot can be said about a politician's character based on the ads they approve. I'm more likely to support somebody who simply stands behind what they believe in rather than someone who is busy ridiculing others.
spinout
Last time I watched the political discussion our prime minister didn't answer the questions and a party leader from the far right complaint about the prime minister not listening...

haha... Same as always1 Laughing
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
Here in the United States, candidates generally put up television advertisements that attack the other candidates, saying that they did "this and this bad thing" and then the other candidates fight back against the others with the same principle. It seems like the voters are more interested in choosing the "lesser of evils" based on how they were portrayed in commercials rather than finding out who is being truthful and who is bending the data.

I feel that the candidates that put up ads that vigilantly attack other candidates are much worse than the people they are trying to deride. Personally, I give much more credit to candidates that simply talk about their ideas and positions rather than those that try to make their competitors look like pinheads.
I feel exactly the same way. I still can't get it that people are allowed to do that. Feels as though that should be against the rules.
twotrophy
I think that this source needs to be verified. There is a possibility of this e-mail to be inaccurate or misleading. But thank you for bringing this up as this brings new things in my mind. Politicians should mind that things that they may consider ethical or see as beneficial to their respective countries might not be seen as ethical nor beneficial to civilians.
nickfyoung
Deanhills
Quote:
I feel exactly the same way. I still can't get it that people are allowed to do that. Feels as though that should be against the rules



It seems to be the main type of political advertising here in Australia too. The last state election was a big example. The ruling premier pushed hard in advertising and through media slating her opposition leader and his family. It backfired and her party was annihilated.
Radar
Politics always seems like a complicated thing, because there are people who are in positions of power, and typically, sentences like that don't end well. You balance that against the people voting for them though, and the constant desire for the welfare of the public to be better... I don't know how to improve the situation, but it is a little surprising that despite so many people wanting it to be better, it's still just struggling on.
ocalhoun
Radar wrote:
but it is a little surprising that despite so many people wanting it to be better, it's still just struggling on.

Not surprising at all when the people with power (ie money) have found out how to subvert the entire democratic process. -- Not just the politicians, the process itself.
raaeft1
Being a journalist with 30 years' experience, I have realized that almost all politicians are selfish and self-centered. They are masters at using you. But if you need their help at any point of time, they usually perform the vanishing act or they make false promises.
kaysch
In my opinion there are too many people who prefer to sit back in their comfy chair at home and complain about their politicians instead of taking part actively in a political process themselves.

In a working democracy politicians (and that includes would-be politicians such as journalists and NGO members) tend to say what their audience wants to hear. And if it is socially accepted to attack other politicians they will do so, especially during an electoral campaign.

I find that this bad attitude towards politicians is a serious threat to a representative democracy - which is by far my preferred form of government. And that is why I have decided for myself some weeks ago to attend some meetings of a political party whose fundamental principles I share and see whether I can contribute somehow. I'd wish more people did the same so that the whining about politicians stopped.

nickfyoung wrote:
71, repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

When I was unemployed last year I could not get a credit card either. So what?
deanhills
kaysch wrote:
I find that this bad attitude towards politicians is a serious threat to a representative democracy - which is by far my preferred form of government. And that is why I have decided for myself some weeks ago to attend some meetings of a political party whose fundamental principles I share and see whether I can contribute somehow. I'd wish more people did the same so that the whining about politicians stopped.
Thing is, this "bad attitude" is usually something that is manipulated by vested interests who have the media in their pay. I agree that individuals should take greater responsibility for the votes they get to cast at elections, however some do take care, but I'd say the media plays a great role with where their sentiment ends up of being. Just do a search on any of the candidates, and the junk information that comes with it is unbelievable. Very rarely that one gets a factual bio limited to the candidate's qualifications and experience for the position, including the good and not so good.
kaysch
deanhills wrote:
Thing is, this "bad attitude" is usually something that is manipulated by vested interests who have the media in their pay. I agree that individuals should take greater responsibility for the votes they get to cast at elections, however some do take care, but I'd say the media plays a great role with where their sentiment ends up of being. Just do a search on any of the candidates, and the junk information that comes with it is unbelievable. Very rarely that one gets a factual bio limited to the candidate's qualifications and experience for the position, including the good and not so good.

I agree with you, deanhills. Journalists can be biased for various reasons. They could be paid directly to spread a certain story, or they may write something they hope their readers will like. In any way, it would be naive to believe that everything the press writes is true. The same is true for scientific studies by the way.
sodron
[quote="deanhills"]
Nick2008 wrote:
Here in the United States, candidates generally put up television advertisements that attack the other candidates, saying that they did "this and this bad thing" and then the other candidates fight back against the others with the same principle. It seems like the voters are more interested in choosing the "lesser of evils" based on how they were portrayed in commercials rather than finding out who is being truthful and who is bending the data.

nice
bukaida
In India, the highest corrupted persons, Mafia, People with criminal background are among the 98% of the politicians ( We have the largest electoral system in the world Smile ). But I think the scenario is more or less similar in every country. That is why some wanted an option "none of these" in the ballot paper. Obviously it was not accepted.
Related topics
In Search of Non-Corrupt Politicians
Are politicians good sources for science? (Greenhouse Myth)
Politics is basically a "BAD" word
Look! Politicians are doing something good! (Trying anyway)
What is rape? And rape and politicians ...
Follow Politics and politicians with Application
Japanese Association Condemns History Textbooks
What does Bush look like?
FOR WAR OR NOT
Bush Poll
Top Chinese General Warns US Over Attack
Gunmen Kidnap Senior Iraqi Official (Yahoo)
War in iraq
An interesting test...
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.