FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

square root of 4 minus 2

Arrogant
square root of 4 minus 2, no doubt gives zero
Try it in Windows calculator
cybersa
Answer:-1.068281969439142e-19 Laughing

But it gives correct answer,when trying square root of 4 minus 1.
lkglacier
Arrogant wrote:
square root of 4 minus 2, no doubt gives zero
Try it in Windows calculator
Of course, it depends on the order of operations. (square root of 4) -2=0

cybersa wrote:

But it gives correct answer,when trying square root of 4 minus 1.

For this, you're doing: {square root of (4-2)}, which is the square root of two. Also, there are two answers to this equation, one positive, one negative. Not just a negative.
SonLight
Agreed, the statement in the OP is somewhat ambiguous, but cybersa apparently interpreted it as I would expect most people would, as ( sqrt(4) ) - 2. The answer given is apparently due to a roundoff error, smaller than epsilon for "most epsilons". Smile

Other possible interpretations are that sqrt(4) = -2, in which case the answer would be -4, or sqrt(4-2), about 1.414.

It would be interesting to know exactly which calculator program(s) give(s) the roundoff error. A well-programmed application, with standard-compliant floating-point hardware, should have gotten exactly zero. It might be possible to set some fp flags on the computer which would cause a roundoff error, but it seems unlikely with such a simple problem.

For the record my system, 64-bit intel, Linux Maya 13 with standard calculator got zero when I typed in sqrt(symbol) 4 = - 2 =, but not before I mistyped it at 4 sqrt(symbol) - 2 = and found out it didn't work that way (it gave me about 5.65i, don't remember now if that was plus or minus).
Peterssidan
cybersa wrote:

Well, -1.068281969439142e-19 is pretty close to zero. Wink
Arrogant
@lkglacier - you interpreted it the other way

The windows calc doesnt give an exact zero which is the correct answer
And yes it is a rounding off error
kelseymh
SonLight wrote:
It would be interesting to know exactly which calculator program(s) give(s) the roundoff error. A well-programmed application, with standard-compliant floating-point hardware, should have gotten exactly zero. It might be possible to set some fp flags on the computer which would cause a roundoff error, but it seems unlikely with such a simple problem.

To first order, I agree with you, but the underlying problem is rather subtle. It depends on exactly how the SQRT() function has been implemented. Some systems use lookup tables for small-integer arguments, with interpolation to handle fractional parts. In that case, I would certainly expect sqrt(4) to return exactly 2.

Other systems might reuse the tabulated versions of exp() and ln(), and implement sqrt(x) as exp(ln(x)/2). In that case, it's quite possible that the nested functions could end up returning 2-1e-19 or so (i.e., a difference from 2.0 in the final bit).

Ultimately, it boils down to where the system programmer tried to optimize CPU usage versus preserve maximum accuracy.
Arrogant
Totally agree with your point
asnani04
Nice reasoning, kelseymh.
abhinavm24
ok now whats the correct ans??
Shocked
someone plz post the correct ans.
Embarassed Idea
Arrogant
The correct answer is definitely 0 (zero).
root 4 is 2 and
2 minus 2 is 0.