FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

need help

abhinavm24
i want an easy to use,simple and efficient free to use OS.
Linux preferred but should be easy to manage and user-friendly.
Ubuntu or puppy linux someone please sort out.
I'm new to linux and want to learn more if you know about some good resources please link me.
Very Happy
Arrogant
If you want to run a linux OS, you could download Ubuntu 13.04.
Here's the link
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
dustindallas
Might I also suggest Linux Mint it seems to be a good beginner to Linux OS with a pretty straightforward install that you can even start in Windows. You can also give it a test run without deleting your Windows OS partition

You might check out your options at http://distrowatch.com/
zimmer
abhinavm24 wrote:
i want an easy to use,simple and efficient free to use OS.
Linux preferred but should be easy to manage and user-friendly.
Ubuntu or puppy linux someone please sort out.
I'm new to linux and want to learn more if you know about some good resources please link me.
Very Happy

Linux is totally different from Microsoft.

In my experience, I am a Microsoft server user but when i transferred to linux my knowledge is back to zero.
dustindallas
Thats the case. but changing as an experienced Windows user makes it easier to pick up the new OS, then if you were to jump in without any knowledge.
Cruxader
Linux Mint would be your best bet if your hardware is fairly modern. It works really well right out of the box.
amagard
I would also recommend Linux Mint. I have it running on a 8 year old thinkpad and it is running very well. Easy to install and easy to use.
If you have no linux experience at all the move to any linux still we be sort of a challenge. Depending on what you wanna do on your PC. If you just want to install and use OpenOffice for instance Linux Mint is as good as Windows, may be even better ( less overhead, faster ). If you are happy with the software ffered thru the Linux Minut Repository things should be easy. If you need to setup extra software of course you might run into problems you never have seen on any Windows system.
Cruxader
amagard wrote:
I would also recommend Linux Mint. I have it running on a 8 year old thinkpad and it is running very well. Easy to install and easy to use.
If you have no linux experience at all the move to any linux still we be sort of a challenge. Depending on what you wanna do on your PC. If you just want to install and use OpenOffice for instance Linux Mint is as good as Windows, may be even better ( less overhead, faster ). If you are happy with the software ffered thru the Linux Minut Repository things should be easy. If you need to setup extra software of course you might run into problems you never have seen on any Windows system.

Yes, forgot about this point. The software repositiories for Ubuntu and Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, are really second to none.
Arrogant
I am using Ubuntu and really enjoying it.
It has a large community so easy when you bump onto some problems
aryan77
Hi, I think Linux Mint is a fantastic first choice for someone entering the Linux OS world. It is very smooth and feature rich right from the installation.By all means try out other distributions too they all have different strengths.

Advantages of Linux Mint is that it is: feature rich, easy to run, not many unresolved bugs, medium speed due to Ubuntu compatibility layer, option of running MATE desktop directly from installation.

Disadvantages: Inherits some issues from the associated Ubuntu release.

Good luck.
sysna
My suggestion is Linux Mint too, it is the best one for beginners and is easy to use and comes with most of the softwares and codecs you need.
erzh
meego