FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have you started to feel old yet?

chasbeen
I remember being in my mid 20's and thinking I was never going to get old.
Anyway I was running down to the garage to see if my old car was fixed one day and I noticed on that day that perhaps I had peaked physically.
The first sign of "a decline" for me was that my recovery from physical exercise was getting longer.
These days I find that getting up in the morning I am stiff and ache all over.
What signs have you noticed (If any)?
Ircher
Not even close! Still in my early youth ages! Anyway, good luck with the back pain, baldness, stomachaches, headaches, and more when your 60 Razz! Okay, I'm joking with that last comment, but still, be prepared for the worst, okay.
jmraker
I feel old due to grey hairs starting to come in and fatigue, I always want to take a nap at work. Then there's the times where I'm at the door trying to go somewhere, and forget my shoes, then at the door again I forgot my keys, and then I go back inside to get some money before I'm all set to go. Razz
bukaida
The daily work pressure along with the pollution, unhealthy food and life style bringing the symptoms of old age much earlier than expected. In my thirties itself, I am feeling that I am ten years older than my actual age physically. However you mental age always depends on your mind setup and you can bind it in your twenties as long as you wish( Remember the song--18 TILL I DIE ? Very Happy )
moncong
after graduate from university, i work as photographer and also give some mentor on university photography club.. each year i having new friend, till some day i found that my age is almost 10 years from them.. Sad
standready
I am beyond getting old. Ready to dig the hole. Now, where did I put that shovel.
chasbeen
It's important to promote yourself physically.
I see people my age who don't. Be careful you don't end up sitting next to them.
All it takes is a little will power, then you don't have to worry about the next wrinkle or ache.
Ankhanu
I hurt my back when I was 26, and it's been a detriment since... So, yeah, I feel old sometimes Razz
chasbeen
Ank
I hurt my back at that age playing Squash
About every 18 months My back goes and that's been happening at the same interval since.
It impairs me for about 3 days but barely prevents me training.
Ankhanu
At one point mine had me hobbled over for near a week, and sleeping flat on the floor... Hasn't been fun. I tell ya, it makes working as a wildlife technician, hiking through the mountains more of a challenge Razz. most of my jobs have involved heavy lifting and long periods of walking/hiking; when your back starts twinging, it really affects what you can do :/
mustatab
Aging i our enemy and we cannt do much fr it. But keep your brain young and atleast you might feel young. Age is in our mind and hormones and our genes make us old. w cn take hormones but cannot change genes
mustatab
If we think our selves as old then age will take its toll. Good exercise can help in fighting aging. specially resistance trining decreases musles brekdown nd gives strength to tendons and joints, So good aerobic and anerobic exercise can help in fght against the aging. No pill can fght ging yet
moncong
Ankhanu wrote:
I hurt my back when I was 26, and it's been a detriment since... So, yeah, I feel old sometimes Razz

me too.. Rolling Eyes
Cruxader
I'll be 36 in November and while I don't recover like I used too, I feel pretty good overall. I've taken a rather long break here recently, but I did the Insanity Workout last winter 2x in a row and it made a WORLD of difference for me. The first 2 weeks I thought I was going to die, but after that I got much better. Since doing it my energy level is much better and I don't get sore or achy as easily. I'm planning on doing it again here hopefully starting this weekend... We'll see. It's been hard to get back into. I think if I lose about 20 pounds I will feel really good. That will get me back down to what I weighed in college.

If you can get your cardio endurance up, that will go a LONG way to getting you on the right track to feeling good again. Exercises that strengthen your core make a big difference too.
Vanilla
I don't have pains, don't feel stiff, my health is pretty much ok (considering my Hyperuricemia). I have gray hairs since I was 17 and I dye my hair every month, so I don't care much about them. But I feel old. Even my friends call me "old lady" cause I don't like going out or socializing much, but that's because I'm an introvert. The reason why I feel old is because I like hanging out with people much older than me and when I talk to people my age I don't feel we have the same values/beliefs. It's even weirder when you compare me with my mother, which is 25 years older and feels much younger than me.

Ankhanu wrote:
At one point mine had me hobbled over for near a week, and sleeping flat on the floor... Hasn't been fun. I tell ya, it makes working as a wildlife technician, hiking through the mountains more of a challenge Razz. most of my jobs have involved heavy lifting and long periods of walking/hiking; when your back starts twinging, it really affects what you can do :/

That's why I believe I'm really lucky! I used to work directly with cows and among the things I needed to do were run fast, carry their food, load the (humongous) corn grinder, clean 16 huge pens where they lived... I think that what kept me from hurting my back was my habit of stretching every day. One day I loaded a ton of corn in the machine by myself, using only a bucket. Can't believe I did that.
playfungames
Feeling old is the exact feeling that I was having a couple of minutes ago. In fact I have this feeling every now and then. By old I mean I am not really really old but I am older than what I used to be when I was a teenager. I hope you get the idea.

Anyways, other reasons I feel older are: There are people who call me uncle (My niece and nephew), random people I meet outside address me as big brother and sir, most of my friends are married, some are getting married soon and some even have kids.

All these make me feel really old. I remember the days when I was a carefree teenager just partying around all the time. When I try to do the same these days, I see much younger people who are doing the same and I feel I am too old for the place.

But I still have a few more decades to go till I become physically old.
chasbeen
PFG
Your not old but you reminded me of a conversation I had with someone,
They said they were 25 and I remember thinking "that's old" as I was only 18,
Wish I was 18 or 25 again! Shame we only get one go at it ain't it?
nixink
Feeling the effects of age is purely a mental thing... the fact that my beautiful dark hair sports the odd "blonde" is absolutely not an issue... I am a little concerned that my 6-pack has drooped a little... ie where before I had washboard abs... now I can wear my stomach like a kilt... and this too is a benefit not a curse, as I now never really need to cover up - it's all automatic... so no issue there... The next good thing about the whole "aging" process as the fact that I carry around my own on board washing line... ...it quite conveniently stores away inside my nose and ears... I don't believe in any of the this beautify me crap that's advertised regarding removing hair that's spozed to be there anyway. If the woman in France don't have a problem with it, why should I?
Going to the toilet has become a whole new experience in itself too... where once, not so long ago I might add, the noise sound coming from the loo while doing a no.1 could quite easily be mistaken for black beauty coming to use your residential facilities... now I can stand and pretend that I'm listening to light raindrops, tickling my lobes and helps me destress after a heavy day of bingo... and it only takes a day and a half to get through a session... time well spent...
I used to have a photographic memory and this is the part that, for me, is the kicker... ... ... ... what was I saying? Who am I talking to? And why is this little light on the screen flashing...
raaeft1
I am 54...I have been feeling old not because of my greying hair or falling vision or arthritis but due to sedentary life style. My overweight has been a problem. But reading The Secret recently has brought to me that perfection lies within;youth lies within. I must focus on perfect weight and perfect health and perfect youth rather than on what is visible to the naked eye. The whole packaging of what I am has to undergo transformation
zimmer
yup. I am 32 but my weight is getting heavy and i dont have this athletic movement back when i was 20's.

The other reason is my food that i am eating is not anymore nutrisious. I always go to fastfood chains such as burgers and chicken keeping me old..

Lastly, the Job is too much time consuming. i don't have time to exercise and play games. My joints getting tired.. lol.

I need to change my lifestyle i guess.
spinout
At the age of my teens I felt like a million years,,, older than my grandpa... Now I and middleaged and feel this is my last time to change my life. And - I can't change it - I am still the mean demon I have always been. I could as easily had been a dictator, but I tried the good patch and it is a impossible patch to walk. So dumb, why didn't I becomme the dictator of the world?
dharmin
I do feel quite old (its worse than i thought now that i think about it...).
considering that I'm still in my mid 20s, i get tired earlier than i used to in my teenage years...
Maybe its only mental because i am still in great shape, but last time i played football, i felt so exhausted afterwards and had a stiff back and body pain the whole of next day!!
I guess "You are only as old as you feel" applies to all!
jajarvin
Aging brings with it a variety of ailments.
What bothers me is the visual impairment.
I have to constantly bear with me wearing glasses.

Have anyone the same problem?
Qantas94Heavy
chasbeen wrote:
Anyway I was running down to the garage to see if my old car was fixed one day and I noticed on that day that perhaps I had peaked physically.
The first sign of "a decline" for me was that my recovery from physical exercise was getting longer.

Oddly enough, I'm still so young compared to others, and yet I feel so old already. It's quite a weird feeling that you realise that you're feeling older than before, but then again I don't know what the 60 more years of my life (hopefully!) hold for me.
jensbodal
I've started to have to calculate my age by taking the current year and subtracting my birth year from it.
Radar
I haven't started to feel old, but I'm aware that I can't exactly fit into the stereotypes of being young any more.
amagard
Quote:
I am beyond getting old. Ready to dig the hole. Now, where did I put that shovel.

LOL. Right attitude, standready.

I think I feel getting old. In former times I used some toothpaste and didn't care which one. Nowadays it has to be a special one to treat my sensitive teeth.

Anyway, I think it is a nice arrangement by nature that our perception of "being old" is changing while we are getting old. My best friend told me recently that when he was young he decided to jump from a bridge at the age of 50. He is over 50 now as I am and of course far away from doing so, still enjoying life.

Nowadays I do more sports than I did when I was a student. But may be that is an indication as well of becoming old ?

OK, I already started thinking about retirement, especially since my company came up with some offering last week, which finally I refused. I want to retire while I am still young Very Happy -- or not that old so to speak.
bukaida
If people do not feel them as old and try to stay young, then where will all the anti-aging beauty products go? An entire industry is running on it. The more people feel them old, the more will they spend on the products that (they believe) will keep them young. Very Happy
andro_king
chasbeen wrote:

I m in my 20's ,just now Smile will let you know when i get to my 30's Smile
BigGeek
Feeling old? I am old - I'm 54 years old now.....look back and it seems like yesterday I was 18. It is hard to believe that was 36 years ago!!

I still look good for my age, 6 feet 2 inches tall and weigh 210 lbs with a 33 inch waist. Abs look good, could be a little less fat on them but they still look OK.

Problems are the close up vision is gone, and I need different magnification readers for different tasks, end up with 3 different reading glasses. Had to put a magnifying lens into my welding helmet so I could see the welds up close. Also arthritis is setting in, all over the place!! AND No I do not recover from workouts near as quickly as even 10 years ago.

I have been lifting weights and exercising since I was 15 years old, save a few months here and there throughout the years for injuries. But I have been pretty consistent over my life with the workouts. I also have always had the bodybuilding nutrition standards as a part of my diet and still eat fairly clean and healthy to this day.....can't even remember the last time I had McDonalds has to have been over 5 years now.

As far as working out goes my job is really busy and I do not have the time during the week to train like I used to, nor do I recover from it very quickly any more. Now I workout 2 times a day on Saturday and Sunday hitting every body part with 3 exercises of 15 reps. Yes I still squat, dead lift, bench press, row, and pull ups. At 54 years old I can still do 12 wide grip pull ups. After my weekend weigh lifting I take off Monday through Friday which leaves me time during the week for Yoga, Foam Rolling, bike riding, aerobic workouts and the like, but no weights, it takes me 5 days to recover and get ready for the next training session.

Now, do I feel old, NO!

Are the aches and pains more, eyes bad, joints and muscles recover more slowly....YES!

My father right before he died at 80 years old used to say, "Growing old and dying is not for the faint of heart".

I enjoy being old and I am OK with growing older, it is part of life and I could care less about the grey hair and wrinkles they give me character Cool
grofet
Yes i'm old enough physically but feel young in mind. You should think out of the box, have a lot of innovation and creativity to feel young in mind. You should not afraid to death by close to god to enjoy this life. Stress and depression can makes people feel old, so stay away with stress and depression can makes you always feel young in your mind. We can not avoid old on our physic, but we can avoid feel old in our mind to makes our life happy. For me become old is a piece of cake nothing to worry.
wellerchap
It's a great question - no, I don't feel old yet, despite being 47 years old - I guess I should, but so far (touch wood!) I'm in pretty good nick, am on my feet a lot at work, and get out and about a fair bit.
I never gave up on my teenage hobbies of football, scooters & music, and I think these have helped me keep feeling pretty good.
chasbeen
BG
I do the weights . 15 miles running a week and Taekwando.
I'm 56
My ankles are bad some days, I expect I will need to make adjustments at some stage in the future.
There's always a way to maintain this all round shedule, Mine takes 6 of the 7 days in a week
Each of those days is occupied by 30-90 minutes of exercise.
I think I'm getting a lot for a little,
rjraaz
Yesterday was my Birthday and my age increased by another a year.

But, I still not start to feel like an old.
BigGeek
chasbeen wrote:
BG
I do the weights . 15 miles running a week and Taekwando.
I'm 56
My ankles are bad some days, I expect I will need to make adjustments at some stage in the future.
There's always a way to maintain this all round shedule, Mine takes 6 of the 7 days in a week
Each of those days is occupied by 30-90 minutes of exercise.
I think I'm getting a lot for a little,

Right on chasbeen it is good to hear from another older guy still working at routine exercise Yeah I hear you on the ankle pain thing, along with my right hip and left shoulder.

I use Chinese herbal patent formulas for the arthritis they seem to be a big help and have alleviated a few of the aches and pains. 1) is Sho Wu Pain, and 2) Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan or Solitary Hermit tea pills, these formulas strengthen tendons and bones and help cartilage stay healthy. Glucosamine is another good supplement that helps as well. Plus take your Ginseng really good stuff and it helps with recovery quite a bit!!

We haven't heard from the other old guy here.....where is Bikerman!!!!
RoylanM
I'm in my early 20's and I have not started to feel old. I don't think I will until I'm in my 40's.
watersoul
I turned 40 this year and don't feel particularly old physically, or at all grown up mentally!
My job is physical from plastering, external rendering, to brick block and stone walling. Climbing up and down scaffolding, digging trenches, or even moving a few thousand kilos of aggregate/stones in a day by wheelbarrow and bucket.

The best part of being older for me is the smug race against some of the 18/19 year old lads on sites who struggle keeping up with the pace. They may have toned muscles from their aesthetic work outs in the gym but real stamina and core strength is never as good as the look of their bodies would indicate.
A few of us older ones enjoy shaming them into working harder with lines like "You're supposed to be the next generation and you can't keep up with us old boys, you should bring your girls to the site and let them find out what a real man is like haha!" - Testosterone fueled construction site language and inappropriate comments are the norm of course, you will never see some of the jokes cracked at work posted here on Frihost!

Feeling old though, nope not at all. Got a few more lines in my face which tell as many stories as my scars, and I've been going grey since 19 so I don't really care about that either.
I regularly train Wing Chun so can defend myself better than most drunken 20 something thugs in an average bar and although I'm a dad I haven't developed an embarrassing 'dad dance' yet so still enjoy clubs, beach parties, festivals and such like.

The only thing I've really noticed about getting older is that I don't mess up as often as I did in years gone by - Experience has a lot going for it in life! Smile
Quiviro
chasbeen wrote:

A girlfriend (almost wife), two children and a dog. Mr. Green

More seriously, a couple of years ago, before my thirtieth birthday, I realised that my mind wanted to run/jump/swim/launch/bike more than my body could. As others frihosters have said, my recuperation time has been increasing exponentially last years.