FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone ever met another Frihoster in 'real' life?

watersoul
First, I cannot stress the importance of online safety or meeting strangers in any social situation, and before I continue I would advise anyone to have a look at this UK police link for good safety advice which you may not have considered: http://safe.met.police.uk/internet_safety/get_the_facts.html

That said, after posting here for a few years now there are a few regulars here who I would definitely message if I knew I would be near them in their country. After reading many of their posts it would be interesting to even just spend an hour face to face.
Of course none of us 'know' much about members other than what we post here, but there are none I think openly exhibit psycho murderer tendencies and quite a few who I think would be welcome company over a beer or a coffee.

So, has anyone ever met a forum member in real life, Frihost or otherwise? Did the person seem completely different or exactly as you expected? I tried internet dating once and all the girls were different to what I expected, would never do it again, definitely prefer 'real' life for romantic introductions.
Deline
watersoul wrote:
First, I cannot stress the importance of online safety or meeting strangers in any social situation, and before I continue I would advise anyone to have a look at this UK police link for good safety advice which you may not have considered: http://safe.met.police.uk/internet_safety/get_the_facts.html

That said, after posting here for a few years now there are a few regulars here who I would definitely message if I knew I would be near them in their country. After reading many of their posts it would be interesting to even just spend an hour face to face.
Of course none of us 'know' much about members other than what we post here, but there are none I think openly exhibit psycho murderer tendencies and quite a few who I think would be welcome company over a beer or a coffee.

So, has anyone ever met a forum member in real life, Frihost or otherwise? Did the person seem completely different or exactly as you expected? I tried internet dating once and all the girls were different to what I expected, would never do it again, definitely prefer 'real' life for romantic introductions.

I think the best idea for frihosters would be like the bloggers do sometimes, they all meet together in an event to know each other and talk...
watersoul
Deline wrote:
I think the best idea for frihosters would be like the bloggers do sometimes, they all meet together in an event to know each other and talk...

That would definitely be interesting, I guess with the number of countries being covered by members though it would be unlikely to ever happen.

If I ever go to the US, Canada or Croatia there are some longtime members I would ask to see if they wanted to hook up at a bar near them. I have zero interest in ever going to the UAE though so our paths will only ever cross digitally while you're there @Dean Laughing
Ankhanu
I've met a few of my online friends over the years... only one from a friendship that began on a messageboard (aside from a messageboard that was dedicated to the local music scene, which, given the tight geographic scope of the board, I'm not gonna count), mostly from people I've met on IRC. I even met my wife via IRC... but, yeah, I wouldn't recommend online for finding a mate, even if my situation turned out splendidly (neither of us were looking to find a mate while chatting, it just occurred, which I think is an important distinction).

For the most part, the people I've met are largely the same as I'd expect, within a reasonable tolerance. The interaction dynamic is fundamentally different between face-to-face and online communication, but, the core of who the person is generally shines through. If you spend a lot of time talking with someone online, they're generally going to show who/what they are... most of the danger, I think, comes from meeting after only a short period of communication, or relatively shallow interactions; you don't get a real sense of the person behind the keys. Each meeting has been with someone I'd chatted with for about a year, and were genuinely considered friends before hand... and have remained as such since Smile

Gotta say, my (now) wife took an awful risk coming to visit me the first time. Luckily I'm not that much of an ****** Wink
watersoul
Ankhanu wrote:
Gotta say, my (now) wife took an awful risk coming to visit me the first time. Luckily I'm not that much of an ****** Wink
Lucky for her and definitely lucky for you as well man, you might never have met your special lady otherwise. Cool story Smile
standready
Hey watersoul,
If you ever make it to the US, the pints are on me!
I have never met anyone from here in person but I do skyped with friends from other forums. Takes time and money to get together though- one day.
andro_king
I know a frihoster in personal. He is a good guy. Its him who introduced frihost to me. Smile
Vanilla
watersoul wrote:

I've met one of the mods from the Portuguese forums. Smile

Also I think I need to say something REALLY important concerning my country. I think you guys are aware that in 2014 Brazil will host the World Cup and in 2016 it will be the Summer Olympic Games. So if any of you decide to visit my country, feel free to send me a message! I think I'll work as a voluntary during the World Cup (not sure about the Olympic Games though). It would be awesome to know some of you personally. Very Happy

Ankhanu wrote:

I've met my last 3 boyfriends online... I don't know how things are in your country, but tis really hard to met nerds other than online! Guess that's because we're on the computer most of the time. Rolling Eyes
moncong
that would be great reunion Very Happy
watersoul
standready wrote:
Hey watersoul,
If you ever make it to the US, the pints are on me!
I have never met anyone from here in person but I do skyped with friends from other forums. Takes time and money to get together though- one day.
Cheers standready, sounds perfect! You are definitely in mind for the US, got a UK friend living in California who is always offering me a sofa to sleep on and although it's a long way from you, if I'm crossing the Atlantic then a return internal flight is not going to make much of a difference. I don't need a visa due to the 90 day stay option thing, but money is the decider because self employed any holiday is lost income as well.
Read some nice things about Indiana, 25 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore park, plus an interesting 21 mile canoe/kayak hire trip from Shades State Park to Turkey Run State Park with overnight camping. Suspiciously cheap $50 so you'll have to let me know if you ever hear stories of tourists mysteriously going missing in those parts! Laughing

andro_king wrote:
I know a frihoster in personal. He is a good guy. Its him who introduced frihost to me. Smile
Ah that's pretty cool, there are quite a few Frihosters from India & Nepal, again two countries I've never visited but have a good friend who lives in Nepal teaching paragliding. One day!

Vanilla wrote:
So if any of you decide to visit my country, feel free to send me a message! I think I'll work as a voluntary during the World Cup
Ah, the day my home nation Wales qualifies for a World Cup final is the day I'll be travelling to watch it. We're not getting to Brazil unfortunately but it looks like England will. My national sporting heart will always remain with Wales although I do support England if they play anyone else apart from us.
Hope you get to see some free games for volunteering Smile
grofet
I have never meet any frihost user before. I think make a frihost event in real life is very difficult. Me and many other frihoster just posting in this forum only to get points for free great hosting account from bondings. I'm also do not have passport, time and money to go to frihost event on other country. But it worth a try.
watersoul
grofet wrote:
I have never meet any frihost user before. I think make a frihost event in real life is very difficult. Me and many other frihoster just posting in this forum only to get points for free great hosting account from bondings. I'm also do not have passport, time and money to go to frihost event on other country. But it worth a try.
I'm not suggesting an event to be honest, obvious cost and planning issues even if people wanted it, I'm just more curious generally if anyone has met other people outside of the digital world.
There are definitely a few people around the globe (who I've known online for years) I'd love to say hi face to face if I'm ever in their country.
Ankhanu
Vanilla wrote:
... I don't know how things are in your country, but tis really hard to met nerds other than online! Guess that's because we're on the computer most of the time. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, it's much the same Razz Though my situation was an international meeting too, as she's from the US, and I'm from Canada.
inoshi
No I've never met a Frihoster in the flesh so to speak, yet would be willing. Yes, so instead of waiting for folks to come to us, if we're travelling somewhere we could post to the forum and see if anybody would respond? The other type of internet gathering gone physical has been Occupy whatever demonstrations.
Vanilla
Ankhanu wrote:
Vanilla wrote:
... I don't know how things are in your country, but tis really hard to met nerds other than online! Guess that's because we're on the computer most of the time. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, it's much the same Razz Though my situation was an international meeting too, as she's from the US, and I'm from Canada.

May I ask if you used to live far away from each other? I know both countries share a border, but when you consider how huge Canada and USA are...

watersoul wrote:
Ah, the day my home nation Wales qualifies for a World Cup final is the day I'll be travelling to watch it. We're not getting to Brazil unfortunately but it looks like England will. My national sporting heart will always remain with Wales although I do support England if they play anyone else apart from us.

I'll be happy if they select me as one of the voluntaries, all right. We have a shortage of English speaking people, so I guess speaking English is my main advantage. Also I have quite a few places that I wish to know in Wales (is that right? "in wales"?), so when I'm rich enough I expect to know some of the frihosters nearby. Very Happy
Ankhanu
Vanilla wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Vanilla wrote:

May I ask if you used to live far away from each other? I know both countries share a border, but when you consider how huge Canada and USA are...

Pretty far; here's a Google map of the two locations at the time. We were separated for about the first 7 months after she visited and our relationship "began".
Arrogant
That would be really fun. But I havent met any frihoster yet
watersoul
Vanilla wrote:
watersoul wrote:

I'll be happy if they select me as one of the voluntaries, all right. We have a shortage of English speaking people, so I guess speaking English is my main advantage. Also I have quite a few places that I wish to know in Wales (is that right? "in wales"?), so when I'm rich enough I expect to know some of the frihosters nearby. Very Happy
Yep, 'in Wales' is perfect, although I'm only there for a weekend or so every couple of months to visit family. I've lived on the south west coast of England for many years now.
When you make your fortune and visit the UK I'd be happy to help you plan a trip of the lovely places here, or in Wales. It would also make an interesting topic.

inoshi wrote:
No I've never met a Frihoster, yet would be willing. Yes, so instead of waiting for folks to come to us, if we're travelling somewhere we could post to the forum and see if anybody would respond?
That would definitely be my plan when I next go abroad, but I wouldn't be interested in meeting any new unknown members, could be axe murderers Shocked
You're in New York aren't you? Quite a few longer time posters in the US and quite a few in the UK for that matter, one member promotes music/band nights in London and I've always wanted to have a look some time, just never jumped in the car to take the 3 hour drive. Hmm, I feel like a road trip weekend this summer... [thinking]

Ankhanu wrote:
Pretty far; here's a Google map of the two locations at the time. We were separated for about the first 7 months after she visited and our relationship "began".
Wow man, that is a long way to go for a relationship, such a beautiful story that you are now married as a result. Very Happy

Arrogant wrote:
That would be really fun. But I havent met any frihoster yet
If you stick around for a few years then who knows? I've been posting here 7 years and if the community stays as generally friendly, interesting and eclectic as it is then I assume I'll be here for another 7.
inoshi
watersoul wrote:
inoshi wrote:
No I've never met a Frihoster, yet would be willing. Yes, so instead of waiting for folks to come to us, if we're travelling somewhere we could post to the forum and see if anybody would respond?
That would definitely be my plan when I next go abroad, but I wouldn't be interested in meeting any new unknown members, could be axe murderers Shocked
You're in New York aren't you? Quite a few longer time posters in the US and quite a few in the UK for that matter, one member promotes music/band nights in London and I've always wanted to have a look some time, just never jumped in the car to take the 3 hour drive. Hmm, I feel like a road trip weekend this summer... [thinking]

Yeah in NYC. Just give a shout if heading this way. My only caveat being that I'm not a decent tour guide, but can make suggestions. Wink

Inoshi
playfungames
I have never met another frihoster in my life. I have seen people here talking about meeting another frihoster just once. I also have doubts that I would ever meet a frihost user. When I enter my country name and search, I find the results in hundreds only which is really low when I enter other countries. So it is an indicator which shows that there aren't many frihosters from my country. I have seen 2 exactly who claimed it.

About other forums, yes I have met people from online. It was exciting. When forums were really popular back in 2003 - 2005 era, we used to have meet ups and there we met around 10-12 people (all boys and rarely 1 girl who would never show up the next time).
mustatab
Hi I am new on Frihost and still trying to learn the working of this site. But it seems there are so many nice people here in forums. I am in Houston, TX and would love to know anyone living nearby. I am interested in fishing and computers so if we have mutual interests we can be more good friends. As I am new in Houston so really I do need some friends here.
RoylanM
I've met another FriHoster in real life before, but I will not tell who it was. We both were at a webmaster conference, we all just got through introducing ourselves and talking and we to the conference room. In the middle of the conference we were asked about our preferred web host and I answered FriHost of course and the conference host asked if anyone else preferred frihost and someone else said they did. After the meeting we both walked up to one another and got into a conversation and so on.
watersoul
inoshi wrote:
Yeah in NYC. Just give a shout if heading this way. My only caveat being that I'm not a decent tour guide, but can make suggestions. Wink
Nice one inoshi, NYC is actually my cheapest option for any flight to the US, a lot of my friends have just gone for a long weekend and I've always been tempted. I would certainly shout if I was chasing an adventure your way.

playfungames wrote:
When I enter my country name and search, I find the results in hundreds only which is really low when I enter other countries.
Lot's of people don't have their country stated in their profile (I can't see yours either) so I imagine that influences the results?

mustatab wrote:
Hi I am new on Frihost and still trying to learn the working of this site. But it seems there are so many nice people here in forums. I am in Houston, TX and would love to know anyone living nearby.
There are a lot of nice posters here and if you want to increase your chances of bumping into anyone from your area just put it in your profile so people know. No need to take risks giving out exact location details but 'Houston area' would certainly be noticed by anyone local to you Smile
watersoul
RoylanM wrote:
I've met another FriHoster in real life before, but I will not tell who it was. We both were at a webmaster conference, we all just got through introducing ourselves and talking and we to the conference room. In the middle of the conference we were asked about our preferred web host and I answered FriHost of course and the conference host asked if anyone else preferred frihost and someone else said they did. After the meeting we both walked up to one another and got into a conversation and so on.
That is a cool story considering you only joined 5 months ago Smile
I'm liking the thoughts that a few Frihosters have actually met in 'real' life, maybe I'll join the club myself one day.
truespeed
Bindings should sell frihost t-shirts for coins,then once worn there is always the possibility of a chance meeting.

We could possibly have a design contest to see whose design ends up on the tshirt.
twotrophy
truespeed wrote:
Bindings should sell frihost t-shirts for coins,then once worn there is always the possibility of a chance meeting.

We could possibly have a design contest to see whose design ends up on the tshirt.

Thank you for your unique idea. I have never came across such an idea in Frihost before. Unfortunately, it may be too difficult for Bondings to sell because it would take a long time to design which can be done by having a t-shirt design contest and ensuring that there is enough stock but Bondings can still try if he has the time. I wonder what he would post if he has the time to post on this thread.
watersoul
truespeed wrote:
Bondings should sell frihost t-shirts for coins,then once worn there is always the possibility of a chance meeting.

Sounds good, a Frihost logo/brand would be an improved start though, I wouldn't wear a basic Times New Roman font saying 'Frihost.com' unless it was in some ironic gesture or whatever.

I got a logo made for coins by a member a year or so ago. It was for a mate and it is now on his business corporate clothing, the idea is proven to work but it needs the input of the people who run the site (Bondings et al)
Until we reach the dizzy heights of mainstream internet branding then I'll leave it to a simple post of 'I plan to go to X country next year, anyone wanna hook up'
watersoul
twotrophy wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Thank you for your unique idea. I have never came across such an idea in Frihost before. Unfortunately, it may be too difficult for Bondings to sell because it would take a long time to design which can be done by having a t-shirt design contest and ensuring that there is enough stock but Bondings can still try if he has the time. I wonder what he would post if he has the time to post on this thread.
It would be easy to do.
A contest for the design would pull a load of talented digital media folk out of the shadows and I'm sure there would be lots of entries.
The image could be saved as a GIF/PNG/JPG and easily printed on clothing in any local printing service provider. Two streets from my house is a business which will even knock out printed clothing for 3.00 per single item if the shirts/hoodies are supplied by the customer. Effort and will to make it happen is all.
Insanity
No, I haven't, mostly because peopel on FriHost are all around the world, and it makes it difficult to meet them. There aren't any events or anything like that either, so it's hard to meet people. It would be cool to meet them, but I don't know if there will be a lot of people that would be interested.
chasbeen
My son's a member and 1 or 2 have joined Frihost after I recommended it.
I'm in Kent England. If your passing WS or anyone else / either sex you can message me via my website.
Meetups should be in a public place, in fact an Internet entity exists for that same purpose and I gave a presentation to an audience of 100 souls after a few "meet ups".
inoshi
watersoul wrote:
inoshi wrote:
Nice one inoshi, NYC is actually my cheapest option for any flight to the US, a lot of my friends have just gone for a long weekend and I've always been tempted. I would certainly shout if I was chasing an adventure your way.

Yo @Watersoul. A particular friend of mine does the same, but going in reverse to UK often, mainly London I think.

Chasing adventures - nice!!!

Laughing
Vanilla
Ankhanu wrote:

Holy cow! That's pretty far! I met a nice guy online some time ago, but the distance was too much for us. I'm so happy when I hear stories like yours! Very Happy
Ankhanu
In general, I think a Frihost meetup would be kinda fun... but at the same time, I'm not all that good with the sociality thing. After a little while I'd want to leave, be on my own a while, and then come back Razz

watersoul wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Wow man, that is a long way to go for a relationship, such a beautiful story that you are now married as a result. Very Happy

Vanilla wrote:
Holy cow! That's pretty far! I met a nice guy online some time ago, but the distance was too much for us. I'm so happy when I hear stories like yours! Very Happy

It's pretty far, but, in many ways, it's not much different than being separated by, oh, 1000km. There's a threshold of travel time/distance after which it really doesn't matter, it's functionally the same, and it's probably somewhere near the 12hr drive mark (vary's by person, I'm sure)... once you can't make regular trips, 8000km is the same as 1000km, is the same as 12000km, right Wink Distance is pretty difficult when you can't visit, but, if you (both) want to make it work, you make the sacrifices necessary to do so. Almost 12 years of marriage, and I still don't own the (or any) cello that I'd been planning to buy with the money I had been saving that I used to fly down to drive back to Canada with her (holy runon sentence!) Razz
adilzulfiqar
Yes i actually met a guy name image free Razz
We talk almost every day.
Well he is inactive for long time.
jajarvin
So far i have ever met a forum member in real life.
jameswood1805
What a question! my dear friend.
Simply the answer is no.
perhaps we are too busy, or we are just fake.
But if you wants to meet me you can meet me. I always available for new friends.
watersoul
Ankhanu wrote:
In general, I think a Frihost meetup would be kinda fun... but at the same time, I'm not all that good with the sociality thing. After a little while I'd want to leave, be on my own a while, and then come back Razz
Haha, I'm similar to an extent, I love being immersed in conversation and social settings but I have to escape to be with my own thoughts for at least an equal amount of time.
Been very lively and late social gatherings this weekend and today I don't want to see anyone, at all Wink

jameswood1805 wrote:
What a question! my dear friend.
Simply the answer is no.
I'm not surprised because you've only been a member at Frihost for a day!
Quote:
perhaps we are too busy, or we are just fake.
Yes, sometimes people only join up here to promote a business or product in their signature. Such members aren't really interested in any social discussion usually.
I would have no interest in meeting anyone appearing to fit that description.
Radar
If I did, it'd be in a random discussion about hosting services, and I'd be considerably surprised.
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
My son's a member and 1 or 2 have joined Frihost after I recommended it.
I'm in Kent England. If your passing WS or anyone else / either sex you can message me via my website.
Must have missed your reply on the bottom of page 1, sorry.
Cheers for the offer man, I've only ever passed through Kent on route to the ferry ports or the tunnel, although I did holiday there once when I was a kid. I remember one pebble beach in particular, Dungeoness, totally spoiled with a nuclear power plant at one end of it! Shocked
wellerchap
No, never met one - I'd imagine they'd be pretty much like most other people one meets while out and about though Very Happy
watersoul
wellerchap wrote:
No, never met one - I'd imagine they'd be pretty much like most other people one meets while out and about though Very Happy

Oh, that's awkward, I assumed I wasn't the only one with webbed fingers....hmm Embarassed
[/returns to hiding away in dark room with laptop]
ratanegra
Never have I, nope. And I don't think I ever will, since it's mostly concentrated in English-speaking countries (even though there are little language forums) and I don't live in any of them.
RosenCruz
I would love to. I see no reason not to trust these cool guys all trying to make their web sites and work on it. Wink
amagard
Never met a Frihoster in person.

May be we should use a service like Dopplr to share travel plans and thus increase the chance to meet.

Or let's meet in a virtual world like SecondLife ?
deanhills
amagard wrote:

Or let's meet in a virtual world like SecondLife ?
I thought we were already in one at Frihost ... Razz
truespeed
Maybe someone should make a frishoster locator phone app,like the gaydar one for gay people that lets you know when your near another frihoster.
watersoul
truespeed wrote:
Maybe someone should make a frishoster locator phone app,like the gaydar one for gay people that lets you know when your near another frihoster.

Haha that made me chuckle!
Not for me though, I have the GPS switched off on my android, including the wireless network location option - on an unregistered pay as you go (cash top up) SIM card.
Not so much a paranoid thing more privacy and a long held determination to make it as difficult for corporations to link data to identity as I can.

I 'bumped into' a Frihost member in a completely unrelated search about power tool accessories recently though.
Same username on the site and they provided useful information which answered a question I had.
I won't reveal the member here but it did make me smile that out of the millions of web pages in the digital world I got a result from a Frihoster Smile
drjim
well since i'm new to this forum, i haven't had the honor of even achieving the "friend" status of any of you. but if i stick around (which i'm thinking i will), maybe i'll end up making some friends here. and in turn, meeting a frihost user in real life! that'd be neat. Smile

it's a common thing for internet users to meet though, so it isn't something that's totally out the window, and totally something i'd be game for.