FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any Martial Arts movie buffs?

inman
I mean not the CG enhanced ones like Matrix series. The real ones.

I am a fan of Jackie Chan and Tony Jaa flicks. I am eagerly waiting for a DVD release of Tony's latest Tom Yum Goong.
koolbluez
Jackie & JetLi movies...

Jackie 4 funny fights; JetLi 4 superb, fast martial arts...

I like most of Jet's movies... even if they r flops... worst liked Unleashed - Danny, the Dog
mtoni
House of the Flying Daggers...

this is an original asian movie (dunno the exact language)
This movie has a lot of action. The story is good too, but the end is a little weird (surprising/unexpectedly)

if you want to watch this I truly recommend a surround sound setting, because it is so cool when you hear the knifes/bamboo sticks etc etc
Plus a scene with a 'traditional' game, where little stones bumps on drums.
inman
Oh yes. The surround mixing in Flying Daggers is just superb. I loved every moment of it. Right from the opening drums game to the flying knifes - everything is colorfully shot and well mixed.

All together yet another excellent movie from the director of Hero.
inman
koolbluez wrote:
Jackie & JetLi movies...

Jackie 4 funny fights; JetLi 4 superb, fast martial arts...

I like most of Jet's movies... even if they r flops... worst liked Unleashed - Danny, the Dog

I thought Danny the Dog was an excellent film. Not the typical Jet Li film, but better than most of Jet's recent US productions. Morgan Freeman was stunning as the blind pianist. The fights were also well choreographed.

Anyway now I am waiting for Jet's Chinese production Fearless. An early teaser of the film is already out. Did you watch it? Its excellent.
koolbluez
Danny the dog had lesser stunts... not like JetLi movies which are action packed...

The movie is OK according to me... never expected MorganFreeman & JetLi in a same movie Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
srijit
Jet Li is all about wires and almost impossible stunts.
Jackie Chan has very nicely cheoreographed fights.
havent seen Tony Jaa, but some of his moves look great Smile
I like Jackie the most, but his myth SUCKS!!!
kuad
I like all the non-American Jet Li and Jackie Chan movies. All the old ones like Project A, Police Story trilogy, Once Upon a Time in China, Fong Sai Yuk etc.

Yeah srijit The Myth is crap, but most of his recent movies aren't that good.

Recent films like Hero and House of Flying Daggers have been pretty good, but I've read that the Chinese themselves were indifferent or didn't like them, possibly because they thought the movies were targetted at Western audiences.
odinstag
I love a well done MA movie. I also like a lot of independent stuff that I find on the net sometimes.

Jet Li is awesome. So are many of the top action starts. Even the stars that don't always do action movies are training hard these days and it is making fight scenes in general very exciting.

It is much better than the shoot them ups like commando from the 80's.
alkady
I like Jackie Chan and Jet Li's martial art movies, Even the Matrix but I still find that the Wachoski brothers went a little too far with the matrix sequels, Most of the storyline was horrible espically the one with Sati, It made it look like it was some kids movie.
kany
I like the films of both jetli and jackie chan but the last movie of jetli i saw was Hero which i thought was not the best.
inman
Hero was like a poem written on celluloid. Excellent direction by Zhang Yimou. Breath-taking cinematography. And haunting background scores. What a movie it was?
canadol
As a die hard fan I am very dissapointed nobody mentioned Bruce Lee. How can yo be a fan if you don't mention he man who introduced the martial art films to America. It is not as high production as todays films but some of the best none the less. Honourable mention to the old classics (real cheesy to most but a real fan enjoys).

Jackie chan and Jet Li are great on television but did not take the "self defense" martial arts. Jackie went to a theatre to learn his for the camera. Jet Li took a classical martial art but known as a "dance style" art for looks and apreciation.
nakamaru
I wouldn't say that I'm a "buff" but I do like some old Bruce Lee movies.
pudovkin
I like a lot those beautiful films with martial arts, like "Hero", "House of flying daggers" and "Crouching tiger, hidden dragon" (I accept any new suggestions...).

But the best movie of this category I think is "Enter the dragon". Bolo (aka Chong Li) rules! LOL
indeedwrestling
My favorite Marital Artist is the obscure king of "Six-String Samurai", none other than JEFFREY FALCON!

Perhaps you've seen it. It's called "Six String Samurai" and stars Jeffrey Falcon. Simple plot summary: Post-apocolyptic world, Buddy (Jeff Falcon) has a samurai sword and guitar is on his way to Vegas to be crowned the new "King". Music is by the Red Elvis'. It's a pretty interesting film.

So, who is this guy?

First thing you notice when you look at his IMDB entry is that he was in a number of Hong Kong films:
# Operation Pink Squad (1986)
# The Outlaws/Outlaw Brothers/The Best Thief Partner (1988) some pictures
# Inspector Wears Skirts/Lady Enforcers/Top Squad/Tyrant Flower (1988)
# Caged Beauties/Fight for Love (1988)
# Above the Law II/Blonde Fury/Born to Fight/Female Reporter/Lady Reporter/Righting Wrongs II (1989)
# Inspector Wears Skirts II/Top Squad 2 (1989)
# Burning Ambition/Dragons' Fight for Supremacy (1989)
# Thunder Cops/Operation Pink Squad II (1989) (cameo, movie has Stephen Chow!)
# Prince of the Sun (1990)
# She Shoots Straight (1990) (not usually listed)
# Lethal Contact (1991)
# Madam the Great/Way of the Lady Boxers (1992) (cameo)
# The Sad Story of Saigon (1993) (not usually listed)
# Oh! Yes Sir! (1994)

(years are tough because these films are often re-released with subtitles/dubbing many years later)

Basically, he plays the "white guy" who can do some marital arts. He's actually pretty good. Mr. Falcon was a member of the US Wushu Team in 1985, 1986 and 1988 when they competed in China.

One of the best sources of information about this guy is the Falcon's Nest. I linked an archival version of the website because it disappeared after 1999. That's the odd thing about Jeff Falcon - I can't seem to find any interviews, appearances, even discussion about him after the "Six String Samurai" movie. The best part of the site is the "Falcon Journal". Basically, it lists all his accomplishments (1982 World Karate Grand Champion, performed for the Queen of England when she visited China, fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese). He's moved around Asia: China, Hong Kong, Thailand and spent 94-96 in fruitless meeting trying to get a film made (until finally he and Lance Mungia just made their own entertainment corporation!) In a newspaper article, Jeff explained that the site was run by friends of his in Hong Kong.

So what happened to him?

It sounds like he moved back to Hong Kong after the movie. The email address on the page no longer works. At one point the website changed into a Pakistani Tailor Shop and then eventually disappeared. Some think that Falcon moved back to China to study in a shaolin temple. Perhaps I'll post in some of the Asian Cinema newsgroups to see if anyone knows what happened to him! I can find interviews he did with the director for "Six String Samurai" but nothing else really after that. Currently, Lance is finishing up a direct-to-DVD new Crow movie (The Crow: Wicked Prayer) that has Dennis Hopper and Tara Reid in it.

Later, I found an interview with John Ladalski (another Westerner who is a HK film vetern) from March 2003, he said:
"Jeff Falcon has a bit of an ego, he thinks he's too great. He is good but he's nowhere in films now, just doing business in China as he married to a Chinese lady and speaks good Chinese."

His Chinese name: (Kit Fu/Git Fu/Jie Fu). Very interesting!

Jeff Falcon, of American origin, is a former Wushu champion who launched directly into the hard world of Hong Kong cinema. His impressive martial arts abilities earned him roles in close to a dozen films. He was a regular in the battles against his compatriot Cynthia Rothrock, facing her no less than three times (Blonde Fury, Inspectors Wear Skirts, and Prince of the Sun).

He also met his wife in the ex-colony (for the record, he speaks Chinese); together, they launched into toy manufacturing in a factory based in mainland China. But his business hung fire, and Jeff Falcon chose to resell it in order to return to the U.S. and finance a film that he co-wrote with director Lance Mungia. The film was Six String Samurai, in which he played, logically, the lead. Unfortunately, despite the confidence he had in the success of the film, and after some bad publicity work, the film flopped. The failure seemed to mark the end of his cinematographic career and today he works at the Los Angeles airport. But since his friend Lance Mungia was the director of the last The Crow, it is still possible that Jeff will make a discreet comeback onto the silver screen. We will end with one of his quotes: “For a Chinese director, a foreign actor is a prop that has to be fed.”

Ain't It Cool News has a 6/7/00 email from Director Lance Mungia which Bridget found (BIG THANKS!) and sent to me.
Basically it says that Jeff Falcon has been in China (as of 2000) studying Buddhism and Martial Arts with some Sichuan Wu-Shu Monks. When he comes back he'll be in shape and hopefully do Mungia's film, "Vengeful Ghost". Also, Falcon is working on a script in China called "Mainlander".
The email from Lance was in response to a reviewer's positive feedback about a Dave Riddick/Jeff Falcon script called "Flirting with Destiny". Other screenplays he has written include: "The Plutonium Powered Kung- Fu Crusader", "The Legend Of Yang Fei Hong", "Call Me Master?!"

Anyhow.. he's my favorite Marital Arts Actor!
pudovkin
NICE!
I'm going to look after this film!
sunrise
I liked Jackie Chan when he was young, but his movies are getting progressively worse as he gets old. Have any of you seen "The Myth"? Hard core fans of Jackie might like it, but man, his old charm has disappeared.

I think Jet Li is the best of the current crop, but even he is old. Sad But, Bruce Lee was the best physically and in terms of martial arts skill out of all these actors. Too bad he died when he was thirty two years old and then Shannon getting shot, possibly the two worst things that ever happened to the martial arts industry.
Scaramanga
kuad wrote:
Recent films like Hero and House of Flying Daggers have been pretty good, but I've read that the Chinese themselves were indifferent or didn't like them, possibly because they thought the movies were targetted at Western audiences.

Uhhh I'm not sure where you read this, but Hero grossed $27M in China and $3.3M in Hong Kong (and overall took in $123M overseas, which is more than double what it made here in the US,) which is definitely not a bad showing. And I don't see why the Chinese would be indifferent towards these films, as they're pretty much standard faire for wuxia cinema.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ong Bak yet. I mean I know that inman mentioned Tony Jaa, but when the movie came out, everyone was swearing that he was going to be the next Jackie Chan. I just never saw it. His films so far are fairly boring and repetitive, and certainly nothing really innovative as far as the martial arts go. And as movies go they are usually less than stellar.
inman
Dont miss Ong Bak. It is definitely a must watch for all martial arts movie buffs.

When I saw the film for the 1st time, I thought this guy was crazy. But soon I learned that he performed all the stunts by himself that too without using wires and CGs. I was skeptical about this comment. Later I happened to get a video called "Ong Bak World Tour" in which the cast and crew of Ong Bak travel around the world to promote the film. As part of the promotion, there was a stage performance by Tony Jaa and stunt crew in which they demonstrated almost all the stunts they showed in the film. Since it was performed on stage in front of audience, it is 100% true that he didnt use wires. Now I am his fan.

His 2nd movie called Tom Yum Goong is an even better film. A minor drawback of Ong Bak was that the story was set in Thailand and therefore the fights were more like traditional and not modern. But Tom Yum Goong is set in Sydney which means skate-boarders, dirt bikers and even wrestlers are part of the stunts. The highlight of the movie is the continuous 6 mins of uncut stunt sequence in which Tony thrashes goons inside a building from ground floor to top floor.
anthonygerbils
do any of you here know any good ju jitsu martial art movies as i have tried really hard to get some but are hard to find and if i have names i can star searching again
much apprciated
budazz
i love bruce lee films...some of jacky chans film...jet li too... Very Happy
Whong
I love watching Bruce Lee in action, he really knows to do the job! Superb martial artist! I like Jackie Chan too, but not really that much because he is more of a Joker! Laughing

Bruce Lee is serious and not fooling around! Wink

http://www.martialartsstudios.frih.net/Bruce%20Lee%20Biography.html

Check out my Bruce Lee Biography, there is also a video clip! I've edited it a bit but I guess it isn't of any harm! Wink

Tell me how you like it! Please! Wink Very Happy
bladeron
yes, bruce lee, jet li and jackie chan....

i have all their movies on my hdd (except for the lastest releases which are in the process of d'loading...)

jet li is amazing with his fight scenes, the last one i watched was brillaint, ie, claws of steel...........for some reason his movies has 2-3 names and i realy get confused sometimes.......

jackie chan is great fun to watch, and one of my favourite movies is city hunter

someone did mention Ong Bak, yes i was really amazed by the agility and the stunts done by than man in the movie
i thought it must have been some other stuntman doing things, but in the end the movie showed that the stunts were actually done by the hero
Whong
bladeron wrote:
yes, bruce lee, jet li and jackie chan....

i have all their movies on my hdd (except for the lastest releases which are in the process of d'loading...)

jet li is amazing with his fight scenes, the last one i watched was brillaint, ie, claws of steel...........for some reason his movies has 2-3 names and i realy get confused sometimes.......

jackie chan is great fun to watch, and one of my favourite movies is city hunter

someone did mention Ong Bak, yes i was really amazed by the agility and the stunts done by than man in the movie
i thought it must have been some other stuntman doing things, but in the end the movie showed that the stunts were actually done by the hero

What do you think about Bruce Lee Question
My favourite Jackie Chan Movie is Rush Hour! Laughing Wink
Whong
What is the Best martial arts movie you've ever seen?

What do you think was good in it and what was bad in it! Question Idea
UVPMedia
Haha - it's funny you mention the film Six String Samurai - imagine the guy from "Kung Fu" walking around a Mad-Max-esque wasteland carrying only a sword, an electric guitar, and an umbrella, kicking @$$ and wailing on his guitar. Kind of like something the guy from the Real Ultimate POwer website would come up with, lol. It's a very weird film, in a way, but I'd recommend it to anybody who likes martial arts, guitars, or both. There's even a villain in it who dresses like Slash from the old Guns 'N Roses. Wink
soulman
there is a Thai movie talk about the elephant and Thai's Art, that's good~
matttai
My favourite martial arts movie is Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon. There is no denying the raw intensity and fire in his martial art! Every other movie i have ever seen lacks this same intensity so i still think it is the best to date.
Alot of movies nowadays have alot of fly by wire effects and constantly moving camera shots which make them lose their impact. If you watch a bruce lee fight scene you can see his fight scenes usually stay in a single shot for 10-20 seconds which you never see nowadays.
Ong Bak came somewhat close to going back to the Bruce Lee formula but Tony Jaa just simply lacks the same charisma that Bruce Lee exuded. He also lacked a complementing host of bad guys and sidekicks to flesh the rest of the cast out (Who can really get more badass than Han with his claw?)