FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gif Vs Jif (What do you call it?)

Gif or Jif?
Gif
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Jif
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Other
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

truespeed

Steve Wilhite inventor of the gif file format recently said that although most people pronouce it gif,he says it should be pronounced as jif.

So how do you pronounce it?
codegeek
I tend to say all the letters like "g.i.f". I think this habit came about because of other formats like "j.p.g" and "p.n.g". I've heard some people call them "jpegs" or "pings".

In any case, I think jif sounds better than gif.
jajathanja
I'd tell him Gosh I need to get a life... hehehe
deanhills
I've always use Gif (as in gifts), and heard all my buddies using it the same way. I think if I should use jif, they may not know what I'm referring to. So I guess it's colloquially used. Could be that somewhere else people are using "jif" and if I should bump into them referring to Gif (as in gifts), they'd wonder what I was talking about. Very Happy
Peterssidan
Almost everyone say "gif". I don't think one person, even if he's the creator, should be able to change that.
dharmin
I say it as G.I.F. (Gee-I-Eff) and not as a single word!! Very Happy
itsmemarti
Girlfriend In Fanties (G.I.F) ---- Hahaha
sark
I always pronounced it jif. I thought everybody pronounced it like that...
Aredon
It's a hard G in "Graphical Image Format". It really doesn't make any sense to have it be a soft G in the acronym. I honestly don't care what the creator says. He's wrong. ^^
sark
Aredon wrote:
It's a hard G in "Graphical Image Format". It really doesn't make any sense to have it be a soft G in the acronym. I honestly don't care what the creator says. He's wrong. ^^

So you're saying the guy that made it is wrong in the way he decided to spell it because you decided so? How can you be so sure of it? What makes you think you're absolutely right and he's wrong?

You have three hours, it's noted.
truespeed
sark wrote:
Aredon wrote:

So you're saying the guy that made it is wrong in the way he decided to spell it because you decided so? How can you be so sure of it? What makes you think you're absolutely right and he's wrong?

You have three hours, it's noted.

The G is for graphical,a hard G,common sense says it is GIF,and 99% of the internet agree,it may of been his GIFt to the world,but his baby has grown legs changed its name and moved on.
Mr_Howl
Gif. It's not Jraphical.
IceCreamTruck
Mr_Howl wrote:
Gif. It's not Jraphical.

Jreat idea! People jrather in different jeo locations around the jlobe and call it what other people are calling it. Do they call it jiff in Jreat Britain?

Here in Kentucky we call it just gif. Smile
cybersa
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:
Gif. It's not Jraphical.

Jreat idea! People jrather in different jeo locations around the jlobe and call it what other people are calling it. Do they call it jiff in Jreat Britain?

Here in Kentucky we call it just gif. Smile

LoL Laughing

I call it as GIF.
william
Hmm, for the most part I've heard that both ɡɪf and dʒɪf are acceptable (sorry if I got that wrong, haven't used IPA in a long time). That said, I, for some reason, always say dʒɪf or "jif". It just feels better for my tongue than the alternative.
Insanity
I actually think that I call it both at different times. It doesn't really matter to me because I get my point across regardless.