FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Secure navigation on the internet

deanhills
On the extreme side of secure navigation experts advise the use of proxy systems. Those are a bit more advanced, not always completely fool proof either, and the better quality ones may also cost money to subscribe to. The following are ways to minimize risk of navigating the internet. If you know of any more this would be much appreciated.

1. Use a secure browser with up to date software.
I don't require excessive anonymity, so am using Mozilla Firefox. If one wishes to be ultra secure one could also choose:

http://uzbl.org/
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

2. Use "secure" search engines.
I'm using Google as it is the best one around. The fact that it is so great is probably an offsetting positive of its negative of tracking our navigation habits at the cost of our security. It's tracking us everywhere. If one wishes to be more safe when searching, without the same high standard of search results, one could opt for:

https://www.ixquick.com/
https://duckduckgo.com/
http://yippy.com/

3. It's always better to have only one tab open in a browser at a time.
Also to have the browser set that it deletes cookies upon closing of the browser, and to close the browser after working with the tab. The more tabs open, the greater the possibility if someone should get into your files, that they would gain access to all of the open tabs.

I also have the automatic text complete feature and password remembering facility turned off.

4. I try and shut down the computer at the end of every navigation session. For obvious reasons.

5. Stay away from social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
I'm naturally averse to social networks like Facebook, Twitter and the like. I'd say those would be areas one would want to minimize use of if one would prefer to navigate securely. Registering with them they seem to be establishing an immediate link with the e-mail address and other compulsory data one has to supply to them like birth dates and mobile phone numbers. I'd say if one does register with Facebook to supply them with fictitious information as far as possible. Particularly since they like to publish one's birth date as well.
Peterssidan
I have heard of "experts" giving advise like this before and I find it a bit extreme. I just assume my browser is safe and that it is safe to visit "unsafe" sites, as long as I don't download and run any executable files. I mean if I can get a virus by just visiting a site then there has to be a bug in the browser.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I have heard of "experts" giving advise like this before and I find it a bit extreme. I just assume my browser is safe and that it is safe to visit "unsafe" sites, as long as I don't download and run any executable files. I mean if I can get a virus by just visiting a site then there has to be a bug in the browser.
You're right, one could get a little paranoid about it, but you've just mentioned something else that is very important, not to download and run any executable files. Particularly when one is working through one's e-mails. I don't even open the e-mails that look clearly like spam. Reading the e-mails is OK, but clicking on links in it or downloading any materials could be a problem.

Another safety concern that occurs to me is the one about downloading free software. One should be careful which site one downloads it from, and be very careful to read the terms and conditions and all of the bells and whistles that are attached to the software. It can have either viruses or unwanted and hidden software with it. I'm glad Norton anti-virus picks up on files that are being downloaded. Must say however my Mozilla Firefox these days seem to be set to download and install its updates automatically. Norton's comes with a message that says it is safe, but by the time I notice it, the updated software has already been installed.
TheGremlyn
Hmm lets...

Has multiple tabs open (in more than one browser!)
    Doesn't clear cache and cookies after closing browser
    Saves passwords for most things because they can't remember what password went with what account (or even what username!)
    Usually leaves the computer one after browsing around
    Oh yea, also has a Twitter and Facebook account!

Secure browsing I has not!
jajarvin
I use Tor browser.
Tor is:
Tor is free software and an open network
that helps you defend against traffic analysis,
a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy,
confidential business