FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website Design

jajathanja
Hi... I am currently designing a website for a scuba instructor. Here's how it looks like so far: http://ssi-pro-training.comoj.com/

Any opinions and comments concerning the design and also the SEO factor will be greatly appreciated. Any comments down the line 'It really sucks man....' will be read, understood and ignored Very Happy

Thanks in advance!
Simonjw
Hey.

Truthfully speaking, the visuals are not so appealing at all and could have a little bit of work done in that area. The text itself should not have that much of a shadow glow because it turns you off when you first come to the website.

You source code looks good, but has two errors due to stray tags in your header script tags. Inline CSS is good, but I would start putting your CSS in external sheets and when using Jquery you could use something like the Jquery Lazy Plugin so that not all of your scripts load at once to save bandwidth and other server resources.

With regards to your links, you don't have to put in "http://www.domain.com" you can just put in "/img/image.png" as when it is already on your server directory, the website will automatically pick up the sources needed with the latter linking.

With regards again to your visuals, why not go with a sort of Flat UI approach or even a full Flat UI approach and also incorporate some responsive design (it is really simple to do with your CSS).

Other than that I cannot see anything wrong with it in my opinion. Clean and sensible coding!

Well done if it is one of your first website front end Smile
codegeek
I am a fan of dark themed websites. So, I love the black paper texture in the background. I am not sure about the glow in the text. It seems a bit inconsistent with the theme. The logo looks good -- nice and clean.

Also, I don't know if this is specific to my machine, but the header image broke down when I hovered over the Home tab. The behaviour of the tabs is pretty awesome. I love how it just invites you to click it. In general, I liked the site, but it has some room for improvement which I am sure you will make in the coming days.
Simonjw
codegeek wrote:
nice and clean.

Also, I don't know if this is specific to my machine, but the header image broke down when I hovered over the Home tab. The behaviour of the tabs is pretty awesome. I love how it just invites you to click it. In general, I liked the site, but it has some room for improvement which I am sure you will make in the coming days.

It is definitely nice and clean despite the issue of the glow text.

It isn't really specific to your machine, but more so the browser, maybe it is outdated or you have a plugin installed which is affecting it. It is actually caused by the CSS code and how the person has laid it out with say positioning (Absolute, Relative) or even floating the element as well as not using resets.

The menu buttons are cool. A little bit of jquery or CSS3 can be used with animation transitions. It's nice to see someone using vertical navigation. It actually looks really good in flat ui.

There is always room for improvement in any front end design and even back end development, whether it is done by a novice or a seasoned professional, that is the beauty of design and development. He has taken the time to make the website to begin with and he has asked for advice so it just shows he is willing to improve where a lot of people aren't that way inclined.

I forgot to say before, good job though and also want to ask how long have you been into web design?

Smile
airh3ad
And i hope you change the color of the site like blue or image dive sites.
zimmer
i have visited your site and it was slow loading so i did not continue to view it.
cheater01
it's not loading Mann so slow :/
the_emissary
Good job, however the extensive glowing makes my eye hurt, you might want to rethink that aspect.
andro_king
It looks good Smile but it might load slow on slower internet connections,so if u can change the background to white/some light colour because they load a bit faster than dark colours

All the best with your new website Smile Cool
loveandormoney
jajathanja wrote:
Hi... I am currently designing a website for a scuba instructor. Here's how it looks like so far: http://ssi-pro-training.comoj.com/

Any opinions and comments concerning the design and also the SEO factor will be greatly appreciated. Any comments down the line 'It really sucks man....' will be read, understood and ignored Very Happy

Thanks in advance!

I am sorry.

There is a lot to do.
First:
Use clear water for the front site.
Make the visitor relax.
andysart380
i like this but as stated before some of the text is hard to read