FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Corn Fields

nickfyoung
Monsanto genetically modified seeds has been getting a bad press lately. The latest is Hungary destroying 1000 acres of maize when they discovered the seeds were genetically modified. On the 25th of this month there is a world wide march against Monsanto.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=510948155627468&set=a.387763467945938.95422.381607171894901&type=1&theater

http://www.realfarmacy.com/hungary-destroys-all-monsanto-gmo-corn-fields/#PziLCZDqO4tAXCeZ.01

Do you think the company and it's products are 'bad' or otherwise.
ocalhoun
The company surely is bad: they ruthlessly maintain a monopoly in key portions of the agricultural industry, and their stranglehold on politics prevents existing antitrust legislation from being used against them.

The products? Mostly not bad. (Though I do think that GMO crops need more extensive testing and research before being used as much as they are. By changing the genetics, we're dabbling in things that we don't fully understand, and causing changes that we might not be able to fully predict... and if a GMO ends up unexpectedly causing problems and gets loose into the environment, we may not be able to stop it. No, I'm not saying this will cause a zombie apocalypse; I'm saying that -- for example -- a GMO crop could escape its field and begin spreading over wide areas, displacing the local vegetation.)
The truly 'bad' development of Monsanto, though, is non-heirloom seeds. They deprive the farmer of the ability to replant some of his own harvest, which forces him to buy new seeds every year. (While a well-run farm with heirloom seeds would only need to buy seeds once, or on rare occasions of crop failure or un-planned-for expansion.)
grofet
I don't like mosanto, since the company have a lot of bad track record on the past. They create a lot of things that will bring bad effect to our environment.
RoylanM
Things like this are just popping up everywhere. I mean people just can't give us a break from attacks on UK and US to this, it's just nerve racking.
coolclay
Good for Hungary! I wish more would step up to the bullying of Monsanto and other companies like it they take advantage of the little guys. I am sure most are aware of the lawsuits suing farmers than had their fields unintentionally fertilized by Monsanto pollen.
SonLight
I see GMO's as dangerous to human health, as well as being a threat to the environment. In the US at least, food labels are not required to say if they contain GMO products or not, due to the political clout of agribusiness. I see some products claiming they do NOT use gmo's. Apparently it is legal to say that, although I imagine they have to be careful exactly how they say it and not claim any benefit to not using them.

What is the status of GMO labeling laws in your country?
nickfyoung
SonLight wrote:
I see GMO's as dangerous to human health, as well as being a threat to the environment. In the US at least, food labels are not required to say if they contain GMO products or not, due to the political clout of agribusiness. I see some products claiming they do NOT use gmo's. Apparently it is legal to say that, although I imagine they have to be careful exactly how they say it and not claim any benefit to not using them.

I think they are still using them here.
itsmemarti
seriously?
sark
Heh. I remember Monsanto trying to get copyrights on some species of fruits/vegetables. At least they got what they deserved.
nickfyoung
I have seen them advertising GMO crops to the farmers on TV although Monsanto wasn't specifically mentioned.
Vanilla
SonLight wrote:

I don't see GMOs as a threat, I believe they are the key to our survival. Even the species not genetically modified that we cultivate are already highly selected. We are only giving these varieties some of what we took when we started to select certain characteristics. As for Monsanto, yes, bad. I remember some of my agribusiness classes and my teacher telling us about Roundup Ready soybean. I didn't know it was even possible to create something able to survive your pesticide (and we're talking about Monsanto's pesticide here). My problem with Monsanto is more about monopoly and less about GMOs.

Here in Brazil all food containing GMOs will have this on the label:

Tis small, but you can see it pretty well. The funny part is all the food that includes corn in its ingredients will have this little "t" in the label. Can't tell for sure the percentage of GMO corn x regular corn, but I believe most of the corn here in Brazil is GMO.

TL;DR version: GMO is good, Monsanto is bad.
BigGeek
Monsanto is the evil giant that is going to destroy the worlds food supply with genetic modifications that makes it detrimental to life when consumed.

Sound a little exaggerated? Almost all of the GMO crops are modified to resist pesticides like the soybeans, or like the corn engineered to be toxic to pests. Monsanto claims that they do not have any side effects when ingested by humans, and have submitted reports to the FDA and lobbied the FDA for laws allowing their sale with no further testing.

Both the Soybeans and the corn have been shown in rats to produce toxins when ingested, does it do it in humans? I don't know about you, but I do not want to find out.

Next, their crops cross pollinate to neighboring farmers fields, so now smaller farms are growing genetically modified crops. Monsanto sues these farmers for payment for growing their crops and either puts them out of business with legal costs, or forces their payment and compliance to planting their seeds in the future. This sort of strong arm tactic is legal, and forces many farmers to give in as they do not have the finances to fight it.

As far as cross pollination goes Monsanto claims it doesn't happen, and then sues people when it does? WTF Mad

Like I said when I started, given everything I've read, and watched on TV about Monsanto leads me to believe that they are going to destroy the worlds food supply and make it toxic to human consumption, all for billions of dollars..........everyone is dead, but were rich Shocked

Sad and sick Question