FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3D Printed Guns

Da Rossa
Hi, we're seeing this fantastic new technology of 3D Printing. Some citizens, however, got very creative about them, and foreseeing a more strict gun control policy, they're starting to manufacture their own weapons at home. Watch this:

http://youtu.be/rej9n3CDtRY

I'm against gun control and I believe every citizen should be able to own a gun. And no matter what is its make. This is a constitutional right also. However, that democratic congressman brought up an interesting point: they're plastic, not metalmade, so they'll be able to go undetected through metal detectors at airports. Terrorists could thank it!

What do you think?
c'tair
I don't think safety is an issue here. If a criminal or terrorist wants to get a gun, he's gonna get a gun any way. And if he can't get a gun on a plane, he'll take a ceramic or plastic knife, which in my humble opinion, are a 10x more dangerous than guns.

I think this is in violation of the right to private property, but I gotta run to work so I'll try to add more later.
ocalhoun
Da Rossa wrote:
they're plastic, not metalmade, so they'll be able to go undetected through metal detectors at airports.

They need a titanium firing pin.
Also, the ammunition is still largely metal: brass casing and lead bullet.

...And besides that, anybody with a knowledge of how guns work and a few basic tools could build a working gun from parts you can get at any hardware store.

Homemade guns are nothing new:

And even (pretty impressive, if you ask me!) homemade chain-fed machine guns:

...And, of course, someone with an extensive machine shop could download plans for any of the more popular guns from the internet and manufacture their own just as good or even better than commercially produced ones.

Don't let the "OMG, people will be able to make homemade guns!" argument be used to block the advance of at-home-manufacturing (AKA 3D printing)... Because there are many corporations with a very vested interest in making sure that '3D printing' never becomes widespread, and they surely will use arguments like that to convince people that it should be illegal or tightly regulated.
c'tair
ocalhoun wrote:
Because there are many corporations with a very vested interest in making sure that '3D printing' never becomes widespread, and they surely will use arguments like that to convince people that it should be illegal or tightly regulated.

This is really true and just what I was thinking. Since when has banning anything ever actually worked? Drugs are banned, but is there really any problem getting them?

Of course it's much easier to spook everyone into thinking that the only good from 3d printing is terrorism when that's totally not the case. This technology will disrupt things just the way the internet did (and is still doing) and there are people who are simply afraid of change whether it's because they see ghosts and goblins everywhere OR they are afraid they will lose money.
coolclay
Wow, that's silly on so many levels.

First this dude is obviously just doing it to piss people off and is doing a really good job of it. He didn't make anything useful or even practical. He spent more money making a piece of junk single shot pistol than you can buy an entire horde of weapons. Either way it upsets me because it's like kicking a hornets nest, just leave the gun control nuts alone, and we'll have far less regulation.

Second the people that are actually getting up set about this (Congressman Israel) are giving him exactly the attention he is looking for! The issues he raised (like getting it through a metal detector) are ridiculous. Like C'tair mentioned a ceramic or plastic knife could be much more dangerous than letting this thing get through!

Is just another pissing contest over nothing important.
Da Rossa
Quote:
They need a titanium firing pin.
Also, the ammunition is still largely metal: brass casing and lead bullet.

Retarded me. Sorry, my bad.

Quote:
Don't let the "OMG, people will be able to make homemade guns!" argument be used to block the advance of at-home-manufacturing (AKA 3D printing)... Because there are many corporations with a very vested interest in making sure that '3D printing' never becomes widespread, and they surely will use arguments like that to convince people that it should be illegal or tightly regulated.

I won't and wasn't considering it either Smile
It's such an ad terrorem argument. People can make home bombs (Boston Sad)which are far more deadly than some primary artifacts.

Quote:
First this dude is obviously just doing it to piss people off and is doing a really good job of it. He didn't make anything useful or even practical. He spent more money making a piece of junk single shot pistol than you can buy an entire horde of weapons. Either way it upsets me because it's like kicking a hornets nest, just leave the gun control nuts alone, and we'll have far less regulation.

I agree. But that's a prototype only!

Quote:
Is just another pissing contest over nothing important.

No, actually that's not. The guy is drawing an unwanted attention: now the 'moms against firearms' will have more ammounition to their rhetoric Sad And if they along with other groups like "stop the NRA" succeed in making noise, then this could be a nasty precedent over a civil liberty Sad
sark
FREE MACHINE GUN!

Jokes aside, this doesn't change anything. Terrorists WILL get guns anyway, even if it makes it easier for them.
c'tair
I think a more important preventive measure would be to make dissent illegal. That way, if anybody spoke out against the government, they (and their whole family) would be sent to special "re-education" camps so that they could once more become good citizens. Nothing takes the evil out of a man better than hard physical labor and hunger.

This way, we will be rid of bad thoughts and without bad thoughts, there won't be bad people. No more dissent, no more protests, no more fighting the establishment. We will finally have the peace, which we deserve whether anyone likes it or not.
watersoul
c'tair wrote:
I think a more important preventive measure would be to make dissent illegal. That way, if anybody spoke out against the government, they (and their whole family) would be sent to special "re-education" camps so that they could once more become good citizens. Nothing takes the evil out of a man better than hard physical labor and hunger.

This way, we will be rid of bad thoughts and without bad thoughts, there won't be bad people. No more dissent, no more protests, no more fighting the establishment. We will finally have the peace, which we deserve whether anyone likes it or not.

Wow, George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four 'Ministry of Love' comes to mind there Shocked
Any ban in the US will only affect the responsible citizens who comply. Criminals by definition will not.
Da Rossa
Quote:

That's a good idea, but still not very practical. Why don't we just implant chips on babies heads in the appropriate area to disrupt the questionary behaviour? It would be far easier!
BlankODE
wow .. cool things , i always wanted to learn 3D, but is mainly very hard for me to use it since i am only a gfx designer , and i cant draw in real life Sad
SonLight
c'tair wrote:

Hey, I'm a little slow at this (just saw this thread for the first time today). I loved your deadpan delivery, so I sent a few coins your way.

New proposal for a TV show:

"Who wants to be an autocrat"
playfungames
I heard about this some time back. Someone released 3D models of guns for 3D printers on torrents. I am not sure about how it worked but it certainly scares me that anyone can print guns and use them for real. This would be a big problem if 3D printing became more common and cheap. Why not just use 3D printing for good purposes?