FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Genius and Insanity





nickfyoung
It is often said that genius borders on insanity. It is said that super intelligent minds think differently and perceive things in a different way. On this forum there are some obvious very intelligent minds and they love to demonstrate it with super intelligent postings. Some of these postings are very informative and therefore interesting while others seem to be closer to the ravings if insanity. While such posts are well written and articulate they do seem to be just intellectual googligunk and of no use to anyone. Does anyone else perceive this phenomenon or is it just my inferior intellect.
IceCreamTruck
nickfyoung wrote:
It is often said that genius borders on insanity. It is said that super intelligent minds think differently and perceive things in a different way. On this forum there are some obvious very intelligent minds and they love to demonstrate it with super intelligent postings. Some of these postings are very informative and therefore interesting while others seem to be closer to the ravings if insanity. While such posts are well written and articulate they do seem to be just intellectual googligunk and of no use to anyone. Does anyone else perceive this phenomenon or is it just my inferior intellect.


You're asking people to perceive their own insanity, and this, by definition, is impossible. You might get other people to say yet other people are insane, but that is just status quo. We're all insane in our own special way, and people often interpret "different" people's differences as insane.

These forums ask that people post in order to get free hosting, so some people struggle hard to come up with topics, and thus they might seem insane. I personally encourage insanity by posting "please hijack this topic" and "what color are your pants?" threads. I feel this at least gives some of the insanity a home, and it's welcome there.

nickfyoung wrote:
While such posts are well written and articulate they do seem to be just intellectual googligunk and of no use to anyone.


The real danger in life is not insane people sounding insane. It's insane people who sound sane -- they generally have what I call the "Hitler" effect on feeble minds.

Haha --> "googligunk" ... you've coined a term. I think yahooglijunk might also be fitting, or even more so.

I feel for people who interpret all "googligunk" as intelligent, and congratulations that you are not one of those people. Now you must achieve the next level of your training: learning to tactfully navigate googligunk that is thrown at you in life.

Insane people will never recognize their insanity and if you point it out to them, then you're likely to get hurt very badly. Just remember that there are doctors for that kind of thing, and if suggesting a person's insanity doesn't work for them then they medicate and put the subject in a padded room.

Bikerman is a great person to discuss things with, cause he's very intelligent. Deanhills is pretty well rounded too. I'd say that ocalhoun is too, but he likes ponies! Smile Just kidding, but you are right that there are lots of intelligent and nice people here. It's why I like participating here. Most social sites are total insanity. Something about free hosting forums works at collecting intellectuals, and I'm a fan of frihost forever.
nickfyoung
IceCreamTruck
Quote:
Bikerman is a great person to discuss things with, cause he's very intelligent. Deanhills is pretty well rounded too. I'd say that ocalhoun is too, but he likes ponies! Smile Just kidding, but you are right that there are lots of intelligent and nice people here.


I enjoy some of Indi's post too. Have given up on Biokerman because if you don't agree with him he tends to put you down and call you nasty names. Actually, he was one I had in mind when I started the thread. Like you say, very intelligent but I find some of his stuff over the top sometimes.
IceCreamTruck
nickfyoung wrote:
IceCreamTruck
Quote:
Bikerman is a great person to discuss things with, cause he's very intelligent. Deanhills is pretty well rounded too. I'd say that ocalhoun is too, but he likes ponies! Smile Just kidding, but you are right that there are lots of intelligent and nice people here.


I enjoy some of Indi's post too. Have given up on Biokerman because if you don't agree with him he tends to put you down and call you nasty names. Actually, he was one I had in mind when I started the thread. Like you say, very intelligent but I find some of his stuff over the top sometimes.


Yeah, not to forget about Indi. Nothing comes to mind, but I know we've discussed a thing or two on here from time to time.

Bikerman isn't perfect, and no one is. I'm sure if you dig on any one of us you'll find flaws, but that's the fun of being human. If we were all perfect we'd be machines, and our flaw then would be that we have no heart. Perfection is really a misunderstood idea, cause imperfection that we live is really what perfect is, and it took me a long time to figure that out.

Consider the fibers of rope, or cloth. Imperfection actually makes it stronger. If all the fibers lined up perfectly there would be less friction, and thus a weaker material. The same goes for boards made out of wood. Fabricators know that near perfect is weak, and flawed is strong.

Our desire for aesthetically pleasing is not always justified, and isn't our strong point as humans. We all need to start observing the beauty and strength in chaos.

Haha, loop back to topic -- For instance the lesser posts on this forum can help show what the good posts really are, and not every good post needs to be applicable, or even have comments. Maybe one good post will help one person, and that's good enough for me.
spinout
The genious are often some kind of autism suffering! Take Eistein and Tesla for example. I am amazed of Tesla, he got so dangerous he was put out of business! If Tesla wasn't shut down I am 100 procent sure we would have pyramids again on earth, working ones...
Hm, if you combine Tesla and Einstein you get Haramein, let see if he gets to dangerous also... Definately a small autism there too, that gone savant...
Bluedoll
I think it is a fair statement to say that the two characteristics can be closely related. It is sad to think that those that have so much to offer might also be subjected to mental illness.

Though the statement might be very true, like anything, it could also be open to debate when we do see an obvious distinction between the two extremes.

Quote:
Bruce Feirstein said, "the distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
IceCreamTruck
spinout wrote:
we would have pyramids again on earth, working ones...


I assume you're talking about the Giza power plant theory? I find this sad, not that Egyptians had electricity, but that the world currently ignores the depth and beauty of their culture by summing it up as merely a few large structures and pictorial writings.

Bluedoll wrote:
Quote:
Bruce Feirstein said, "the distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."


that is a really good quote to sum up this thread.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:
Quote:
Bruce Feirstein said, "the distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."


that is a really good quote to sum up this thread.


Just stumbled upon a kickass thread about the above quote in a Philosophy Forums thread Genius vs Insanity and landed with this post - well done Cadrache (except for the Grammar and spelling)!
Cadrache of Philosophy Forums wrote:
*grins* Marcel Garcia, Van Gogh, Salvadore Dali, Nietzsche , Tesla(quesitonable). Supposedly all insane geniuses. Gotta love google lol. The problem is that for these individuals, they were both successful, and both supposedly insane and therefore contradictory towards that assumption that genius requires what people call 'success' while insanity requires lack of success. Part of the problem is that intelligence has an often un-admited aspect that intelligence is only determined through somebody else's perspective.

One of the major divisions I generally see between 'insane' and genius is that of other people. The genius is only called such when other people can understand what they are talking about. The insane person, well.. that ones up for grabs I guess.

You can't even really claim genius as being attributed as indirect success of other people based on the concept of this said individual. Many average people have made a successful living in psychology.

Question. If an opinion is equivilant to stating that you cannot have an absolute truth, then why should the original opinion towards the basis of division be any different? No absolute truth to determine genius through success. That is still only an opinion.

I also disagree that Apple are hypocrits. All they do is bully you into accepting their viewpoint alone. Religions done that for centuries already. grin They don't say try it, and decide for yourself, they claim PC is bad. They over-exagerate huge portions of the capabilities of PC's, except the virus part.


I just felt like looking through different lenses today. Have fun.


Great discussion and worthwhile checking through the rest of the thread ..... *sigh*
Bluedoll
Bruce Feirstein was an American screenwriter and humorist
deanhills wrote:
Just stumbled upon a kickass thread about the above quote in a Philosophy Forums thread Genius vs Insanity
Quote:
“Insanity and genius are like apples and oranges. Just because they are both fruit, does not mean that they can be properly compared as equivalent entities.”
Though our perspective is certainly relative to our findings should there be one more thing considered? What is the measure of success? This determination might certainly separate the two extremes.

I think the original post was focused on the usefulness of information inside posts as a measure of success. (intelligent vs ravings) It is possible that might be rationalized sufficiently unless of course those making the determination are all misinformed to begin with. lol

Still another question would be the consideration that just because information is intelligent information or inaccurate raving on's, should some random posting into a forum really suggest that the author is either a genius or a lunatic? I always thought that was an over the top assumption itself.
spinout
GIZA power plant theory... well there are many plant theories actually. Tesla had his own!
Egyptians didn't have it, it was disembled already! Them pyramids are not from the time of the egyptians.
IceCreamTruck
spinout wrote:
GIZA power plant theory... well there are many plant theories actually. Tesla had his own!
Egyptians didn't have it, it was disembled already! Them pyramids are not from the time of the egyptians.


Please start a thread on this topic, and let me know about it, thanks.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
spinout wrote:
GIZA power plant theory... well there are many plant theories actually. Tesla had his own!
Egyptians didn't have it, it was disembled already! Them pyramids are not from the time of the egyptians.


Please start a thread on this topic, and let me know about it, thanks.
Great idea! I'm intrigued as well. Cool
spinout
aha, well it is interesting!
Hm, I suppose a new thread will wind up in general chat since every time I do a new thread OR participate it always wind up in general chat. During the day I will return with some ideas if thing go well at work... Rolling Eyes
deanhills
spinout wrote:
aha, well it is interesting!
Hm, I suppose a new thread will wind up in general chat since every time I do a new thread OR participate it always wind up in general chat. During the day I will return with some ideas if thing go well at work... Rolling Eyes
General Chat is most people's favourite Forum, so measured in popularity and also interesting threads these days, I'd give it at least four stars. Angel
catscratches
So I can call people insane and say it's a compliment? Brilliant! I mean: Mad!
jajathanja
I think these honorable gentlemen here will be able to elucidate on the matter of your sanitary concern

deanhills
Think I prefer this kind of insanity myself:

Related topics
Bill Gates $$
One Liners:: Funny and Somewhat Inspiring
The Verge Of Insanity
Driver Genius Professional Edition
Genius Pen Tablet
If you speak english you must be a genius!
Poems
Pieces of my Insanity
Rampant Insanity - Crits Wanted!
Borderline Insanity
Was The Unabomber A Genius? And Is A Revolution Democratic?
Torture your mother?
Trouble getting a driver
The Genius of Darwin
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.