FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost's Activity Measure

Frihost Monthly Activity Level
Always Improving - Best Activity Yet!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
At a Mountain Top - Very High Activity
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
At the Cliff - Has or is predicted to have a major activity fallout.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Falling - Lower Activity than Normal
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Valley - Unusually Low Activity
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Lowest Activity Yet!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Flatland/Plateau - Normal or Average Activity
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Newer Member - Haven't been around enough to accurately gauge Frihost's forum activity.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Ircher
Is it just me or is Frihost and its forums are losing popularity; pretty soon, I believe that it'll be an ancient legend if it weren't for the fact you must post to host. We MUST do something to revitalize Frihosts and its forums. Give me reasons alongside your opinion about Frihost's current state Wink Idea.

Edit: Okay, I'll say that Frihost isn't dying, but rather just having a drop in activity like all forums which have been outdone by social media.
Ankhanu
Frih is suffering from the same way most forums are these days. Yes, popularity is reduced and perhaps still falling, but, by and large it seems that many internet users consider them obsolete tech... it's a trend that's been happening for some time now and has been discussed in several communities I'm a member of, from niche guitar forums, gaming forums, to large general use forums like this one. Most users tend to turn to the various social media outlets for discussion these days, rather than going to a dedicated discussion forum.

FhiHost hosting is still largely in demand, maybe a little less than in previous years (it's likely peaked)... but it's still strong.

What can be done to fix the waning interest in messageboards and Frih specifically? Well, that's a really good question, and one to which I don't have a really solid answer. There's currently a referral system in place that rewards users for inviting new users, but I don't think it sees terribly much use. The admins could probably be doing more to promote the forum and hosting, but they seem fairly busy without the extra work... There are a few suggestions for contests, but those only seem to encourage already active members to be active (by my general observation at least)...
Solid solutions evade me, especially since I think much of the problem is cultural, not site specific.
metalfreek
I have to totally agree with above posts. Forums as a general is not that popular any more. Sites like Facebook and other social media has taken over the trend of forum discussion. I have seen a significant number of reduction of user on frihost and I think there are handful of people who actually post regularly.
twotrophy
Ankhanu wrote:
Frih is suffering from the same way most forums are these days. Yes, popularity is reduced and perhaps still falling, but, by and large it seems that many internet users consider them obsolete tech... it's a trend that's been happening for some time now and has been discussed in several communities I'm a member of, from niche guitar forums, gaming forums, to large general use forums like this one. Most users tend to turn to the various social media outlets for discussion these days, rather than going to a dedicated discussion forum.

FhiHost hosting is still largely in demand, maybe a little less than in previous years (it's likely peaked)... but it's still strong.

What can be done to fix the waning interest in messageboards and Frih specifically? Well, that's a really good question, and one to which I don't have a really solid answer. There's currently a referral system in place that rewards users for inviting new users, but I don't think it sees terribly much use. The admins could probably be doing more to promote the forum and hosting, but they seem fairly busy without the extra work... There are a few suggestions for contests, but those only seem to encourage already active members to be active (by my general observation at least)...
Solid solutions evade me, especially since I think much of the problem is cultural, not site specific.

Thank you for your idea of why Frihost is becoming less popular. A possible solution is to find a way to make forums more modern. Forums cannot replace Facebook or Twitter in my opinion as forums are different. For example, forums contain more information about news
than social media websites as well as some forums such as Frihost have better quality posts such as posts that use proper English without online slang as well as longer posts. Are there any ideas to make Frihost more modern? My idea is to make Frihost more like a social media site. However, it still needs to feel ilke a forum in order to preserve Frihost culture. Maybe, Bondings got bored of managing Frihost from time to time because it can be a chore so he became less active.
deanhills
@Ircher: Frihost has been around for a whopping eight years. I can't speak for the owner, Bondings, but having lived at Frihost for five years myself, and having worked my way through a large percentage of posts that have been made here, I'd say Bondings is pretty devoted to Frihost. That would be the main consideration for whether Frihost will be around or not.

With regard to your statement about Frihost becoming an "ancient legend" if it were not for post to hosting. This Forum has been designed to stay alive on the basis of post for hosting, with the hosting being considered the main incentive for posting and not the other way round. The hosting is technically of superior quality. As long as the hosting remains technically sound, the posting will logically continue. Otherwise people will lose their hosting. Bondings could technically stay away from the Forum for the next year or two, and the Forum would still be far from an ancient legend. However, if he should let go of the technical side of the hosting, with the servers going down for long periods of time, the Forum may decline eventually over a number of years to the extent one could call it an "ancient legend". I can't see that happening however.

As to what to do about revitalizing the Forums, there are tens of topics already existing in the Suggestions Forum where we have discussed these in exhausting detail. I suggest that you work your way through those topics if you want to make a study of the subject.
Pande
I might also add, from my experience with my developer team for a game, that the use of forums has been superceded by the presence of phones with IRC apps. We are always on IRC instead of discussing by forum, so much so that our new site probably won't even have a forum on it. Dedicated community members just use IRC on their 3G or wifi phones, which is pretty low data use and most people have unlimited data nowadays anyway.

I'm not entirely saddened by this. The logging of information is a bit harder, but we tend to use sites like Piratepad.net in order to discuss ideas, and it has features like a timeline and you can see who wrote or edited things. All in all, the forum topic which could grow to an unwieldy amount of pages has stopped being useful in the presence of phones and collaborative editors.
bukaida
There is a global slowdown in every field. The forums are not exceptions.
However, frihost is far from being extinct although the number of new members has reduced. Bondings is giving some boost in terms of hosting ( like increasing hosting space and quality of hosting) periodically. The introduction of coin system and it's exchange capability with a TLD was quite innovative. Hope Members will come out with some more ideas which will increase the number of new and active members.
watersoul
I've been away for the last week or so busy building a site for a local sports team.
At no point has the idea of a forum being included been considered at all. The site has clear links to the facebook, twitter and youtube pages and all 'discussion' will be carried out there.
Times have changed, that's for sure, I've been online since 1996 and back then forums were the cutting edge of social media.
These days you can log-on to comment on the site I made with your twitter/facebook accounts.

I don't see subject specific discussion forums disappearing completely, but the decline will continue to whichever level or amount of net users wish to use such a medium.
IceCreamTruck
I think it's forum inflation. This is a general chat thread, and I think some of the inactive forums could be shut down to keep people more concentrated in the more popular forums. This is not, however, my call.

Before there was more activity all over the place, but people don't come back, or are not encouraged to come back to a forum if they post and no one responds. I think this is what is happening in a few of the less popular forums. Since it's a requirement on frihost to post in the applicable forum for the topic, then it might serve some less popular ideas to not have their own forums, so that the threads get more exposure in the general chat.

I've wanted to see the number of forums decrease for a while. Just simply because frihost is not as popular as it once was, and not all my posts in other forums get attention. I'm not saying they should, but that it's consistently given me the idea that not enough people are browsing out into other forums like they once were.

I want to be clear that I'm not criticizing the forums that i have enjoyed for 7 years now, but trying to offer a solution to focus the energy again.
truespeed
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I think it's forum inflation. This is a general chat thread, and I think some of the inactive forums could be shut down to keep people more concentrated in the more popular forums. This is not, however, my call.

Before there was more activity all over the place, but people don't come back, or are not encouraged to come back to a forum if they post and no one responds. I think this is what is happening in a few of the less popular forums. Since it's a requirement on frihost to post in the applicable forum for the topic, then it might serve some less popular ideas to not have their own forums, so that the threads get more exposure in the general chat.

I've wanted to see the number of forums decrease for a while. Just simply because frihost is not as popular as it once was, and not all my posts in other forums get attention. I'm not saying they should, but that it's consistently given me the idea that not enough people are browsing out into other forums like they once were.

I want to be clear that I'm not criticizing the forums that i have enjoyed for 7 years now, but trying to offer a solution to focus the energy again.

I agree with this,music,movies & television,anime & comics and literature could all be put into a general "Entertainment" category.

I do it all the time on my forums,I look to merge.move,rename the less active categories.
Ircher
Wow Surprised! Didn't expect so many respones in such a short time!
After a brief look at the poll (I voted for Falling by the way), it appears that 2/3 of Frihost believe these forums and the website is losing popularity; however, I guess I'll have to wait since only 6 votes including mine has been posted at the time of writing. Based on the posts and the poll, I believe it is safe to say that the majority of the community is believing that Frihost is between slightly lower activity and average activity; keep on posting the great quality posts supporting your ideas Razz!
IceCreamTruck
Ircher wrote:
After a brief look at the poll (I voted for Falling by the way), it appears that 2/3 of Frihost believe these forums and the website is losing popularity; however, I guess I'll have to wait since only 6 votes including mine has been posted at the time of writing. Based on the posts and the poll, I believe it is safe to say that the majority of the community is believing that Frihost is between slightly lower activity and average activity; keep on posting the great quality posts supporting your ideas Razz!

I believe that it did decline, but that's not a new thing. There were years back where it was much more popular, and then it went down, then it would go up again. It's technically a small group of active posters, so the addition of a new group makes a big difference depending on how active they are. Years back it was really active, but new people were being added faster then they were dropping off.

I stand beside my opinion to reorganize based on the active group of users, as most of what is left are the long term users, and we don't use certain forums. I also stand beside my opinion that I'd rather hang out and discuss things here then go to other social sites. Generally social sites make me angry, cause they are filled with people posting the same message over and over: "I'm bored". I always respond: "I don't think it's sad you're bored. I think it's sad that you have no imagination"
truespeed
Frihost needs change,any change,just to shake it up a little,it has barely changed in years.

The forums as IceCreamTruck says definitely need streamlining,too many categories generating too few posts.

I think also part of the decline is (he can correct me if I am wrong) I get the impression Bondings has grown bored of the site,after 8 years that is not surprising,also as everyone says,forums are generally not as popular as they used to be,and no matter how much time and energy you put in,you are less and less likely to get the feedback and participation you want,a case of diminishing returns.
Ircher
I don't know about Bondings getting tired of the site; he himself accepted my hosting request Very Happy!

Yes, forums probably aren't as popular as they were at one time, but when a site like Frihost with a forum like this gets to this point; it is too late to start over; especially if you're paying for something like the hosting. Change is necessary, but too much or the wrong type of change would be for the worse. I wish Bondings would give me his opinion of this site; it'd be a shame if it dies.
truespeed
Ircher wrote:
it'd be a shame if it dies.

It is a long way from that,over the past 12 months it has averaged about 3500 posts month,which is a long way short of its heyday,but still not a bad return,more than most forums get.

It has about 100 people showing online at all times,mostly guest traffic,which is click through traffic,so the site is in pretty good health,it could be better,it can be better,it just needs a little something,what that something is,I don't know.
deanhills
Ircher wrote:
I didn't respond to the poll as there was no category I could tick. If there was one "none of the above", I'd have ticked it.
zimmer
frihost does not need to be popular. I think frihost is very effective the way it is.
c'tair
Nah, I think frihost will be alive and good. True, I'm having big difficulties in finding a few minutes to post now and I think many people who have been with frihost maybe have found a similar problem because heck, I started posting here when I was around 16, now I'm 23 trying to dig out a little space in the world for myself and working hard towards it.

But no, this forum has some of the most dedicated posters I've ever seen around the webs and I think it can hold despite the slimy tentacles of social media.
Ircher
I too plan to become a dedicated Frihost poster. It'll give me more benefits to keep posting than not to post Smile.
IceCreamTruck
Ircher wrote:
It'll give me more benefits to keep posting than not to post Smile.

I agree, and good luck!
Ircher
Man, no wonder so many people use Frihost; its hosting service et cetera is awesome; check out my forum in my sig using this hosting service, and help suggest forums by using the password SugAFor. If it weren't for the great people like Bondings, Deanhills, and Noobie4Life, this probably wouldn't have been as great as it truly is; the service is outstanding; I could probably host 5 forums with my subdomain and still have more room for files! Smile
jajathanja
Ok I'm still very new here but there seems to be a nice sort of a likeable atmosphere here... I don't know but my instant reaction to when you were all talking about forums losing out to social media like fb etc is to like make the setup of the forum more social media like... a half way solution kind of. It's would involve a more radical change and you might risk losing the "traditionalists". But on the other hand you might be looking at a gold-mine of an idea.....
standready
Frihost has been around for eight years which is far longer than most. Posting right now are down probably because school is close to end of year so many are hopefully taking more time to study for finals.
Pande
Theres another point i'd like to add to this, which is that Frihost has very few areas in which users can have an affect on the site or product.

Most forums are designed around either a hobby, where the user's input affects other people's creation techniques, or a product, such as a video game or game mod, where the user's input and discussion influences the game's updates.
Ircher
Around for 8 years, and Frihost is still strong! I love Frihost; 3 cheers! Anyway, I'll make sure Frihost never dies!
zimmer
Ircher wrote:
Is it just me or is Frihost and its forums are losing popularity; pretty soon, I believe that it'll be an ancient legend if it weren't for the fact you must post to host. We MUST do something to revitalize Frihosts and its forums. Give me reasons alongside your opinion about Frihost's current state Wink Idea./

Not on my side. In my personal view frihost is alwasy on top of my mind to post everyday. lol
IceCreamTruck
I would like to make a request that this thread be locked.
truespeed
IceCreamTruck wrote:

But then there would be even less posts. Wink
Ankhanu
Pande wrote:
Theres another point i'd like to add to this, which is that Frihost has very few areas in which users can have an affect on the site or product.

Most forums are designed around either a hobby, where the user's input affects other people's creation techniques, or a product, such as a video game or game mod, where the user's input and discussion influences the game's updates.

I can't say this has been my forum-going experience. While many may have been based around a common interest, most I've used are communities bound by the common interest... There's little or no product that the users are influencing. The major boards I've used have been dedicated to music appreciation or creation (personal creation, not influencing an overarching creation), specific types of instruments, dedicated to gaming systems (occasionally out of print), hobbies, etc. there's no affect on site or product.
The few forums I've used where members are users of an ongoing development type game or product have tended to be boring forums with little community to speak of... Just an interest in the product, and excessive argument about what should or shouldn't be included...
Luckily most I've used have been communities like here, though.
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Under what pretence?
dude_xyx
I don't think FriHost would have serious problems unless they stop free hosting. Probably most members who are active here are free hosting users and there will be more people who need free hosting so they will be joining too.

But people spend less time on forums and more time on Social media sites like Facebook. One reason for this this huge popularity of smart phones and tabs. It's not easy to access to forums unless for social media sites which are optimized for phones and smaller devices.
twotrophy
dude_xyx wrote:
I don't think FriHost would have serious problems unless they stop free hosting. Probably most members who are active here are free hosting users and there will be more people who need free hosting so they will be joining too.

But people spend less time on forums and more time on Social media sites like Facebook. One reason for this this huge popularity of smart phones and tabs. It's not easy to access to forums unless for social media sites which are optimized for phones and smaller devices.

My Galaxy Note 1 is big enough to use Frihost and I use Frihost most of the time on mobile although it is sometimes a bit difficult to quote websites or other users.
Ircher
dude_xyx wrote:

Yeah, I browse the Internet on my 3DS all the time; it is SMALL! Anyway, to the topic on hand, why does Frihost thrive where my new forum has no one even there? I believe we've seen that Frihost is pretty popular forum-wise, so now the question is Why does it thrive where other forums fail?
coolclay
Because of real world incentives! When I was in high school, and undergrad I actively participated on many forums. Now as I get under I don't have the time freedom to do so. Now I only actively post on 1/2 forums, but still use many others on an as needed basis. Either way, when I signed up for Frihost many many moons ago, I had very little hope in it's success, but boy was I pleasantly surprised! I think the drop in posts is natural as a forum matures, but I also think it has to do with less people making websites. Social media has replaced the need for personal websites, in that it saves time, and is easier.

Either way I don't foresee Frihost going the way of the dino's anytime soon, at least I hope not, because it really is a wonderful and very diverse community!
Ircher
coolclay wrote:
Because of real world incentives! When I was in high school, and undergrad I actively participated on many forums. Now as I get under I don't have the time freedom to do so. Now I only actively post on 1/2 forums, but still use many others on an as needed basis. Either way, when I signed up for Frihost many many moons ago, I had very little hope in it's success, but boy was I pleasantly surprised! I think the drop in posts is natural as a forum matures, but I also think it has to do with less people making websites. Social media has replaced the need for personal websites, in that it saves time, and is easier.

Either way I don't foresee Frihost going the way of the dino's anytime soon, at least I hope not, because it really is a wonderful and very diverse community!

Wow! Very informal post; I believe you're right, however. So, who do you think will administrate this place after Bondings (i.e. 2nd-in-command)? If and when he stops here, will Frihost just wither away?
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Under what pretence?

It may drive off new people to discuss this topic much more. It's taking away from other topics that are more healthy if we're considering the health of frihost.
twotrophy
A possible solution to bring up the post count is to start interesting threads about world news so that more people would come and make posts.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Under what pretence?

It may drive off new people to discuss this topic much more. It's taking away from other topics that are more healthy if we're considering the health of frihost.
I totally support ICT's request for the following reasons:

1. We have too many threads like these open already, no doubt they must have inspired the author with less than a week's membership to open one more.

2. Frihost doesn't need any more negativity, we have enough of it already in all of the other open threads.

3. The topic is FALSE. Frihost is not dying. At the minimum the topic should be revised.

4. I HATE for Bondings to see the topic of this thread. I cringed the first time I saw it, just wishing I could completely delete it on the spot so he wouldn't see it.

5. On a personal level it hurts me to see the topic. It IRKS me to see the topic, it irks me even more that it was raised by a member with less than a week's membership at the time he started it.

PLEASE lock it.
Nyasro
frihost wont die until we live
twotrophy
deanhills wrote:

1. We have too many threads like these open already, no doubt they must have inspired the author with less than a week's membership to open one more.

2. Frihost doesn't need any more negativity, we have enough of it already in all of the other open threads.

3. The topic is FALSE. Frihost is not dying. At the minimum the topic should be revised.

4. I HATE for Bondings to see the topic of this thread. I cringed the first time I saw it, just wishing I could completely delete it on the spot so he wouldn't see it.

5. On a personal level it hurts me to see the topic. It IRKS me to see the topic, it irks me even more that it was raised by a member with less than a week's membership at the time he started it.

PLEASE lock it.

It may hurt Bondings if he sees this topic. I think that the person who started this topic should rename it to something like "Frihost forum activity" which is a more positive name. It is also possible for the first post to be edited to avoid or reduce offense. I did not realize that such a topic can potentially hurt people. I think that we should just try to start interesting threads which I have already repeated at least once before in order to encourage people to post and make Frihost more enjoyable. By the way, does my thread named "Where is Bondings?" cause any offense? If it does, I will take steps to reduce or remove offense such as trying to make the thread inactive and I apologize if it does.
Ircher
twotrophy wrote:
deanhills wrote:

PLEASE lock it.

It may hurt Bondings if he sees this topic. I think that the person who started this topic should rename it to something like "Frihost forum activity" which is a more positive name. It is also possible for the first post to be edited to avoid or reduce offense. I did not realize that such a topic can potentially hurt people. I think that we should just try to start interesting threads which I have already repeated at least once before in order to encourage people to post and make Frihost more enjoyable. By the way, does my thread named "Where is Bondings?" cause any offense? If it does, I will take steps to reduce or remove offense such as trying to make the thread inactive and I apologize if it does.

Do to all the complaints about the topic I'm getting, how do you rename the thread if you aren't an admin/creator/moderator/Ghost Rider? I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone or Bondings. So, if you want me to, I'll help make it a better topic as long as I know how.
watersoul
Ircher wrote:
how do you rename the thread if you aren't an admin/creator/moderator/

Just edit your first post and change the title, simple.
andro_king
Ircher wrote:
Is it just me or is Frihost and its forums are losing popularity; pretty soon, I believe that it'll be an ancient legend if it weren't for the fact you must post to host. We MUST do something to revitalize Frihosts and its forums. Give me reasons alongside your opinion about Frihost's current state Wink Idea.

Edit: Okay, I'll say that Frihost isn't dying, but rather just having a drop in activity like all forums which have been outdone by social media.

yes all the forum sites are losing nowadays .. many people are not active and this puts forum sites in danger.