FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Use Old Compaq Presario for Newer Motherboard and CPU

Possum
Hi

How easy is it to use an old computer case. I am thinking of buying a better mother board and putting it my old Compaq Presario case. That way I save on the case and power supply. I am not going to get the lattest and greatest. Maybe a dual CPU and throw in a reasonable video card that handle my Multi Media needs including dual screens. Just a fun budget project. Is this sort of thing doable..

thx..
Ankhanu
As long as the board and case are the same form factor (likely ATX), it's just a matter of removing the old one and putting the new one in its place. If they're different (which is unlikely, the same main form factors have been in use for about 10-15 years), it will require some case modification to reposition the mounting studs and possibly the port layout. That's really unlikely, though.

Check the specs of your current motherboard, check its form factor and compare it to the new one; if they match it should be a simple remove/replace.
Possum
Cool thx... Will do...
william
The only thing I want to add is to make sure to check what power supply is in the Presario. Reason being that a lot of them are about 250 watts, which may struggle to run more powerful systems. The dual core CPU shouldn't be a problem, but a dedicated video card might require a minimum of 300-350 watts.
Possum
Are there low Watt video cards. Im not after anything fancy. I have a ATI Radeon HD 4000 in one of my computers. Its dated, but is ok for me.
william
Well, something like a Radeon HD 6450 would work with a 250 Watt power supply. You might be able to get away with a Radeon HD 6570, and if it's 300 Watts, you might be able to manage a Radeon HD 7750. All will be a step up from an HD 4000.

That said, I have seen plenty of stock power supplies fail when similar graphics cards were installed, so don't be surprised if the PSU fails even if the wattage is adequate. Unfortunately companies like HP and Dell don't necessarily use the highest quality units.
Possum
lol... I found the present power supply in my friend's dumpster... This is just my fight against waste... But the old Celeron and Mother board must go..
sysna
The PSU may need to be changed because when they become old their performance will decrease meaning you will have to pay more money for power bills so it is always recommended to at least change the PSU with every major upgrade you do.
Possum
Quote:
The PSU may need to be changed because when they become old their performance will decrease meaning you will have to pay more money for power bills so it is always recommended to at least change the PSU with every major upgrade you do.

Not to mention the house burning down