FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Learn PHP

Ircher
What is a great and fun site to learn PHP at?
codegeek
I really like w3schools.com.. They provide a detailed amount of information divided into small chunks. So, you can learn a chunk, experiment around with it, and then learn another chunk. Moreover, they've got tutorials on almost everything you need to create a perfectly functioning website.

Another site I would recommend is codeacademy. They have a very interactive method of teaching. I learnt JavaScript from there. They also have PHP.

Yet another good site (but not free) is Lynda.com. They have a vast array of training videos on almost everything one needs. I have watched the PhotoShop tutorials from there, and I must say I found them absolutely amazing. However, video tutorials are not to everyone's taste, so you can also buy a good book for learning PHP.

I think you should experiment around, and finally choose the one which you like the most. Best of luck, and happy programming!
twotrophy
You can learn PHP for free at CodeAcademy.com . Code Academy is suitable for beginners although you would probably find difficulty along the way. If you get stuck in a task, you can always ask people for help in Frihost or in the Code Academy forum. I hope this would help you.
Ircher
codegeek wrote:
I really like w3schools.com.. They provide a detailed amount of information divided into small chunks. So, you can learn a chunk, experiment around with it, and then learn another chunk. Moreover, they've got tutorials on almost everything you need to create a perfectly functioning website.

Another site I would recommend is codeacademy. They have a very interactive method of teaching. I learnt JavaScript from there. They also have PHP.

Yet another good site (but not free) is Lynda.com. They have a vast array of training videos on almost everything one needs. I have watched the PhotoShop tutorials from there, and I must say I found them absolutely amazing. However, video tutorials are not to everyone's taste, so you can also buy a good book for learning PHP.

I think you should experiment around, and finally choose the one which you like the most. Best of luck, and happy programming!

First, it must be free; second neither code academy nor w3schools are interactive nor what I wanted. If you have any other FREE WEBSITE, then please post them and don't mention codeacademy.com or w3schools.com again, thank you Smile.
sonam
I am learning lot of think from old version of this tutorial. It is good organized and if you are following instructions step by step tutorials you will start understand and programming PHP very fast.

http://www.tuxradar.com/practicalphp

Sonam
Nyasro
w3schools
mukesh
First time me too take help by w3schools site.
ujjawall
twotrophy wrote:
You can learn PHP for free at CodeAcademy.com . Code Academy is suitable for beginners although you would probably find difficulty along the way. If you get stuck in a task, you can always ask people for help in Frihost or in the Code Academy forum. I hope this would help you.

I go to join this if it's really good then very useful for me.
Arrogant
W3school.com is a good site to learn PHP basics.
There are great tutorials and examples
codersfriend
Yeah you can learn a lot in codeacademy.
For further topics and other recipes, you can check out
net.tutplus.com
biolu
I would not define learning a coding language as fun, especially the first part when you just go through tons of commands. So I will advise you to go through some basic tuto, in order to know how to use main functions of PHP languages. Then just start creating a site, once you encounter a problem, or want to do something new, browse the internet to find a solution. This way you will learn much faster and it will be less boring than just reading books...
codersfriend
Coding itself is fun.. well depends on your interest
Arrogant
I recommend phpacademy.org to learn PHP for specific purposes
joetruong
[url]Lynda.com[/url]
codersfriend
Arrogant wrote:
PHP academy is also cool. Lynda on the other hand is nice but you will have to pay them to watch their tutorials
sonam
codersfriend wrote:
Arrogant wrote:
PHP academy is also cool. Lynda on the other hand is nice but you will have to pay them to watch their tutorials

Pay for tutorials. Shocked NEVER! On Internet is lot of good free tutorials and I really don't see any reason for paying it.

Sonam
vat322
If you want to learn PHP on fun basis, there is a site called codebabes. They will teach you class in fun way & then quiz. You can goto the next level only if you pass the quiz and there is a bonus after every quiz. Go and check yourselves. Wink
Here is the link: https://codebabes.com
codersfriend
vat322 wrote:
If you want to learn PHP on fun basis, there is a site called codebabes. They will teach you class in fun way & then quiz. You can goto the next level only if you pass the quiz and there is a bonus after every quiz. Go and check yourselves. Wink
Here is the link: https://codebabes.com

Funny website title. I also checked the page and it looks like nsfw haha.. although I hope it's not when I try it. It kinda reminds me of ITCuties (http://www.itcuties.com/) . Video tutorials by cute girls
naim94a
I think the best way to learn PHP is to see other peoples codes, and just to read the manual/docs @ php.net
sonam
naim94a wrote:
I think the best way to learn PHP is to see other peoples codes, and just to read the manual/docs @ php.net

The learning from others code is good way if you have basic knowledge about any type of codding and good intuition. But if you really beginner then you need good tutorial what will tech you from "Halo world". It is not at possible to see "Halo world" in others code. The poor and bad codes are second shortage and can cause lot of problems for beginners if they use it in their code. Security issues are there on first place.

All together, using php.net and other sites, code from others, invest time in research Internet for different solutions and keep in mind "Maybe I can improve this for my needs" is good way to learn PHP. Wink

Sonam
Marcuzzo
before I started with PHP I already had some experience with javascript, C# and Java so the syntax was not a big deal for me.

To learn any programming language, all you need is the official documentation.
For php that would be http://www.php.net/docs.php.

example: AutoIt is a nice scripting/programming language if you want to cook up a script for any kind of automation fast. I've written dozens of small scripts and even install wrappers ( without using mousemove and click here or there, but by using COM objects ) and I didn't even look at their forum because they've got a complete helpfile that has all the info you need.

programming isn't just about writing code, I'm an analyst/programmer by education, so I'm not the type of guy that just starts punching keys and run the code while having my fingers crossed.

You basically start with working out the concept, doing analysis, working out use cases, diagrams etc and even pseudo code.

Once your analysis is complete you've got the blueprint or architecture of your program/code/whatever.
By using the documentation as a reference you can create the building blocks you need to construct your project.

to be honest, looking at code it nice and all but that isn't going to teach you anything. You'll end up copy/pasting a lot of code and modifying it to your needs, essentially turning yourself into a scriptkiddy.

So to answer the OP's question:
Ircher wrote:
What is a great and fun site to learn PHP at?

I would answer: Work out an idea, any idea, write the code using php.net as a reference, upload your code to your fri-hosting ( I'f you've got it Razz ) and have fun