FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

smoothwall probs

Reyntjensw
hi,

i want to make a firewall on a pc to protect my network, i've chosen smoothwall, but when i get connected, i can't surf, i only can get my mail, can someone tell me how to configer it?
or does someone can give another program (another firewall)

grtz
bananaphone
Don't know about SmoothWall, but the best Firewall around (including paid ones), is ZoneAlarm. There is a Free Edition as well as a paid version, but the free one should be fine for most people.

Hope this helps.
crimsonessence
bananaphone wrote:
Don't know about SmoothWall, but the best Firewall around (including paid ones), is ZoneAlarm. There is a Free Edition as well as a paid version, but the free one should be fine for most people.

im not sure id go that far, Zone alarm is ok, but its only as secure as the platform its running on..

im familiar with smoothwall, its a nice distro, however any linux distro can perform as a firewall using ipchains, however i wouldnt leave too many things on default! so unless you dive into linux, smoothwall is great for a firewall/router

..id be more than happy to help ya..
toshlad
The question of firewalls is all about configuration.

I don't know smoothwall but I'm sure it has an allow and dis-allow screen. You have to tell the software what can and can't come in.

Zone Alarm is very good as it gives a clear picture of what is and what is not allowed.

This software gets my vote but as other users will tell you, the software is not water tight. Even the best firewalls can be beaten if the hacker has the skills and patience.

I hope this helps.