You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[English] What do you call a road that does not turn?

What do you call a road that does not turn? Using online translation services I get the word "straight" but it sounds wrong, maybe because I have never heard it used in this context. When driving a car behind a slow vehicle that I want to overtake I could say "I'll wait until I get to a straight"? Is that really how you would say it?
'Straightaway' is the word you're looking for, I believe.
Yes, that is all one word, and yes, it means exactly what you're talking about: a section of road (or other path) that doesn't turn.
I think that only a few people would know the meaning of straightaway. The best way is to refer to a road that does not turn as a straight road. I hope this helps you.
Update: I'm sorry if I was wrong. (May 2014)
I don't want to use a word that no one knows. And straightaway seems to be mostly for racing tracks.
Wiktionary wrote:
straightaway (plural straightaways)
  1. A straight section of a racetrack.

Calling it a straight road is probably better. Thank you!
Peterssidan wrote:

Calling it a straight road is probably better. Thank you!

Your welcome. I hope this helps you.
If it's any help here are my thoughts.

"I want to overtake but I'll wait until the road straightens out"
"I'll overtake when we get to a straight section"

If I'd been go-cart racing or something with friends then I'd say "I overtook you at the straight" because "the straight" is a recognised term for that particular section of track.
I might use "the straight" if my passenger also knows the road ahead of us, or "a straight" on an unknown road, if both are understood names/labels by a driver friend in my car.

With others (non drivers perhaps) I could also say "I want to overtake but I'll wait until it's straight" because the assumption would be that I'm talking about the road.

With my Welsh/Devon hybrid accent and dialect I would only speak like that in a professional setting or similar though. If a student of English as a second language heard conversations with my friends then I think we'd have to slow down and revert to 'work speak' Wink
Straightaway was the word I and my family always used as well. I'm fairly certain that everyone in my area would understand it quite easily, though maybe the term is mainly used in my region only.
I think most people will recognize what a straightaway is, even if they don't use it often.
I thought you overtake using the fast lane?
redhakaw wrote:
I thought you overtake using the fast lane?

Not always; for example, if you're on a two lane road, and are at a section with a broken yellow line, you can overtake... but that lane's not the "fast lane", it's the opposing lane. Fast lane (or passing lane, which is what they're called here) is a specific situation, where there are more than one lane in the same direction, but it's generally more of a common term than an official one.
how about <Straightway>? take away the <A>
nokick wrote:
how about <Straightway>? take away the <A>

I don't know. What's more commonly used?
"Straightway" is not in my vocabulary. I found it in a dictionary reference though, and it seems to refer to immediate time rather than a condition of a road in most cases.

The term sounds vaguely British to me. I'll wait and see how many of our Brits protest or disown the word.

PS. My first sentence is self-falsifying, since the word entered my vocabulary at the moment I wrote it.
Related topics
FCC requires VoIP to clean up its 911 act
Gunz Online
any news on dirge of cerberus
Define Religion?
The Naruto Series
What's great about your country?
State your Political Philosophy! (1000 FRIH$ to the best!)
Computer doesn't boot up at all.
Albert Camus
The Best Signature Line
If you're wrong, are you a liar?
I Google®-d and Photoshop®ped
Are sins real?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Language Forums -> Languages and Translation

© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.