FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[English] What do you call a road that does not turn?

Peterssidan
What do you call a road that does not turn? Using online translation services I get the word "straight" but it sounds wrong, maybe because I have never heard it used in this context. When driving a car behind a slow vehicle that I want to overtake I could say "I'll wait until I get to a straight"? Is that really how you would say it?
ocalhoun
'Straightaway' is the word you're looking for, I believe.
Yes, that is all one word, and yes, it means exactly what you're talking about: a section of road (or other path) that doesn't turn.
twotrophy
I think that only a few people would know the meaning of straightaway. The best way is to refer to a road that does not turn as a straight road. I hope this helps you.
Update: I'm sorry if I was wrong. (May 2014)
Peterssidan
I don't want to use a word that no one knows. And straightaway seems to be mostly for racing tracks.
Wiktionary wrote:
Noun
straightaway (plural straightaways)
  1. A straight section of a racetrack.

Calling it a straight road is probably better. Thank you!
twotrophy
Peterssidan wrote:

Calling it a straight road is probably better. Thank you!

Your welcome. I hope this helps you.
watersoul
If it's any help here are my thoughts.

"I want to overtake but I'll wait until the road straightens out"
"I'll overtake when we get to a straight section"

If I'd been go-cart racing or something with friends then I'd say "I overtook you at the straight" because "the straight" is a recognised term for that particular section of track.
I might use "the straight" if my passenger also knows the road ahead of us, or "a straight" on an unknown road, if both are understood names/labels by a driver friend in my car.

With others (non drivers perhaps) I could also say "I want to overtake but I'll wait until it's straight" because the assumption would be that I'm talking about the road.

With my Welsh/Devon hybrid accent and dialect I would only speak like that in a professional setting or similar though. If a student of English as a second language heard conversations with my friends then I think we'd have to slow down and revert to 'work speak' Wink
masterekat
Straightaway was the word I and my family always used as well. I'm fairly certain that everyone in my area would understand it quite easily, though maybe the term is mainly used in my region only.
Nick2008
I think most people will recognize what a straightaway is, even if they don't use it often.
redhakaw
I thought you overtake using the fast lane?
Ankhanu
redhakaw wrote:
I thought you overtake using the fast lane?

Not always; for example, if you're on a two lane road, and are at a section with a broken yellow line, you can overtake... but that lane's not the "fast lane", it's the opposing lane. Fast lane (or passing lane, which is what they're called here) is a specific situation, where there are more than one lane in the same direction, but it's generally more of a common term than an official one.
nokick
how about <Straightway>? take away the <A>
Peterssidan
nokick wrote:
how about <Straightway>? take away the <A>

I don't know. What's more commonly used?
SonLight
"Straightway" is not in my vocabulary. I found it in a dictionary reference though, and it seems to refer to immediate time rather than a condition of a road in most cases.

The term sounds vaguely British to me. I'll wait and see how many of our Brits protest or disown the word.

PS. My first sentence is self-falsifying, since the word entered my vocabulary at the moment I wrote it.