FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite programming languages

limpands
What are you guys favorite programming languages?

My favorites is probably PHP or Java.
CHAOS-THEORY
C++ & maybe some C#

codegeek
I have only used C++ to any reasonable extent so far. Hence, it's my favourite language. I am learning Python, so this may actually change pretty soon. Very Happy
amagard
There is an interesting discussion going on on Lifehacker momentarily following the article "How I Taught Myself to Code in Eight Weeks": "What would you recommend as a first programming language?"

Here is my comment to the thread ( probably not published yet; discussion postings on Lifehacker need a review ):

I would recommend Python. I think it is very easy to learn and I like its capability to try out commands via its Interpreter and its straight forward error messages & tracebacks. This is one thing I really hate about java: its confusing error messages. And believe me: when you start with a new language you deal a lot with error messages !

To add to the discussion above: Python certainly is very different to C, absolutely not comparable. If you need to learn a C-like language go for Perl or Javascript. The latter is good to know anyway for web / browser side programming. Both are C without all the hurdles to deal with memory allocation and pointers.
Arrogant
The language is know the most is C
But I'm learning PHP and am enjoying it
dehghani
C++ and C#
venkat_60
my fav prgrmng lngs are

C , jQuerry , HTML , PHP ..
Nyasro
PHP is best for me:) and all other web programming languages
like HTML,CSS,JavaScript,AJAX,JSON,SQL...etc
neiesc
python, c/c++ and c#.
Qantas94Heavy
limpands wrote:
What are you guys favorite programming languages?

My favorites is probably PHP or Java.

I like Javascript for its relative simplicity and some of its quirkiness (though I have been programming in Javascript most of the time). Python is (as intended) really pretty on the eyes though, just one of those "attractive" languages - one is rather intrigued. For some reason, I really dislike PHP - just feels so "clunky" for me, don't know why.
Arrogant
Haven't used much
But C forms the base for all
I love all the languages I use
bellalines
Perl. Type freedom.
Pippo90
The language I know best is C++, which is also the most useful for me. However, my favourite language is definitely Python.

You can immediately feel that C++ is an old language, developed in the '80s, and sometimes its "grammar" is quite odd (although surely less than the original C). Instead, with Python I can focus more on the algorithmic problems themselves than to have also to understand how to code something.
Arrogant
Recently I was working on PHP
So it must be my favourite
I forgot the previous language I used.
cybersa
Java,C,C++
BlankODE
Visual Basic, but still i have to learn more.
Arrogant
Now it must be C++. It's just powerful
myfncs
Visual Basic now, but im learning java at school. Same structure, it justs takes time.
ax0692
I love Python! It's so easy to read and understand; there's unnecessary bloat (i.e. brackets and semicolons) in the code and you can just type the words for what you want to do rather than translating it into weird operators like "|" or "&".

That being said, it's an interpreted language, so it suffers in performance. (At least that's what I've been told; I've personally never had any problems)
jgsedi
amagard wrote:
I would recommend Python. I think it is very easy to learn and I like its capability to try out commands via its Interpreter and its straight forward error messages & tracebacks. This is one thing I really hate about java: its confusing error messages. And believe me: when you start with a new language you deal a lot with error messages !

To add to the discussion above: Python certainly is very different to C, absolutely not comparable. If you need to learn a C-like language go for Perl or Javascript. The latter is good to know anyway for web / browser side programming. Both are C without all the hurdles to deal with memory allocation and pointers.

I agree to the first paragraph but not to the second because all things perl can do python can - JavaScript is ugly but the engine is in every browser, so ok.

In General: Each programming language has its own advantages. If you learn a language at the first time python is absolute the best. Programming in python is pretty easy. Code developmant is very fast because of the python interpreter. In the interpreter you can check your snippets immediatly - no compilation at all. Getting success in python is a question of hours not days - not comparable to C, C++ or Java.

If you have learned the basics in python and you are then interested in further programming concepts python fits too - functional programming, object oriented programming, procedural programming - python fits.

But - If you think of learning a basic language which is a base for many others i think C is better - but much harder to learn.
Marcuzzo
jgsedi wrote:
amagard wrote:

I agree to the first paragraph but not to the second because all things perl can do python can - JavaScript is ugly but the engine is in every browser, so ok.

In General: Each programming language has its own advantages. If you learn a language at the first time python is absolute the best. Programming in python is pretty easy. Code developmant is very fast because of the python interpreter. In the interpreter you can check your snippets immediatly - no compilation at all. Getting success in python is a question of hours not days - not comparable to C, C++ or Java.

If you have learned the basics in python and you are then interested in further programming concepts python fits too - functional programming, object oriented programming, procedural programming - python fits.

But - If you think of learning a basic language which is a base for many others i think C is better - but much harder to learn.

since you're new I'll take it easy :p
IMO, javascript is not ugly at all, it's a beautifull ecma dialect that has been raped till infinity by manufacturers and thus misunderstood by mot people.

besides, you can't compare python with javascript, c'mon... thats like comparing a race horse with a race car. sure, both race, but c'mon. javascript isn't in python's league by a long shot.

as far as my favorite language goes, for some this may not come as a total shock, I'm an ecma guy. I love C, C++, C#, java and even it's little evil step nephew javascript.

but I've got a confession. when I need to write a simple powerfull tool... I use AutoIt Razz the language is vb style (ish) which I don't like at all, but it does the job pretty well without the hassle of having stuff installed to run the application