FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Eurovision Song Contest

jajarvin
Which country will win the Eurovision Song Contest?
medesignz
jajarvin wrote:
Which country will win the Eurovision Song Contest?
Most likely Denmark... But seeing as all former-USSR countries are in it, it may be one of them Very Happy
jajarvin
medesignz wrote:
medesignz wrote:
Most likely Denmark... But seeing as all former-USSR countries are in it, it may be one of them

My compliments to you. You were right after all, Denmark won deservedly.
medesignz
jajarvin wrote:
My compliments to you. You were right after all, Denmark won deservedly.
Thanks very much. I liked the way they announced the winner, but continued with the voting :S
kaysch
This weekend the 2014 Eurovision song contest took place. I analyzed some voting patterns according to European regions.

Let's group participating countries into the following regions:
A - Scandinavia (DK, FIN, IS, N, S)
B - Former USSR excluding Baltic countries (ARM, AZ, BY, GE, MD, RUS, UA)
C - West Balkan (AL, MK, MNE, SLO)
D - South and West Europe (A, B, CH, D, E, F, GB, GR, I, IL, IRL, M, NL, P, RSM)
E - Central Europe and Baltic countries (EST, H, LT, LV, PL, RO)

1. The different European regions all had their own preferred song:
A preferred the Netherlands and Austria
B preferred Russia
C preferred Hungary
D preferred Austria
E preferred the Netherlands

2. Regions A and B boycotted each other. Just 6-7% of their votes were given to the respective region, much less than the points those regions received in total.

3. Region C did not receive any points from outside, with one exception: ARM gave MNE 12 points.

4. Regions A, B and C kept many votes in their own region helping their neighbours. The most extreme country in this region was RUS, keeping 64% of its votes in the region by giving 12 points to BY, 10 to AZ, 8 to ARM and 7 to UA. Countries from D did the opposite, boycotting their neighbours. And many countries from Region E (namely B, D, I, E and GR) did not mind where a good song came from; they gave their own region as many points as the average of all countries. In other words: they did not help or boycot their neighbours.

5. The winning song from Austria polarized a lot. Regions B and C gave Austria 8-9% of their votes while regions A and E gave them 17-18% of their votes. The same is true for the country music song from the Netherlands, ending up second. Regions B and C only gave 2% or 7% respectively of their votes to NL while regions A and E gave 18% of their votes to NL.

What do we learn about all this? The Eurovision song contest is only partly about music, there is a lot of sympathy and antipathy between countries involved. It remains to be seen whether these patterns are recurring.
Peterssidan
I think it was sad that the audience booed when Russia got high votes. People should keep politics and music apart! Just because they are from Russia doesn't mean they sympathize with Putin and even if they did who cares? The Eurovision song contest isn't a political forum, or at least it shouldn't be.

Was the wining song really that good? I can't help but think that it might have got a lot of votes because of some gay/trans political views. Not that I really care much. Normally I don't even watch it. I watched this year only because I was with people that wanted to watch. The Eurovision song contest all about entertainment, and nothing about fairness. If it really was about making a fair contest to decide the best song the rules would have been totally different.
catscratches
Peterssidan wrote:
I think it was sad that the audience booed when Russia got high votes. People should keep politics and music apart! Just because they are from Russia doesn't mean they sympathize with Putin and even if they did who cares? The Eurovision song contest isn't a political forum, or at least it shouldn't be.
Considering the next one is hosted in the winning country, I'd say there's a fair deal of politics involved pretty much inherently.
sysna
Peterssidan wrote:

Was the wining song really that good? I can't help but think that it might have got a lot of votes because of some gay/trans political views. Not that I really care much. Normally I don't even watch it. I watched this year only because I was with people that wanted to watch. The Eurovision song contest all about entertainment, and nothing about fairness. If it really was about making a fair contest to decide the best song the rules would have been totally different.

I don't think that it was that good to win the first place ! Anyway Eurovision is become something like Oscar and it is based on some rules which you have called them as political views. This is something that we all can see in awards of recent years and I really will look for any other awards of these types. But in the past Eurovision was really a good starting point for real talented bands/singers. the best one i remember was Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah in E2006 which was a really great rock song but now compare the songs to those past ones, you can easily see that Eurovision is so going down.
Blummer
People really should keep the politics and this sort of contests apart, but there's nothing we can do anymore - Eurovision has become very political long ago. That's my personal complaint about it.
fuzzkaizer
allthough you would try to keep "politics" out of the game, you can't. instead you can still see that there is quite a social difference about along the former cold war border, so once you cross that border, the social climate is way more sexist, racist, nationalist. not that there wouldn't be similar problems in the west, but in these countries that problems are highly official and much more part of the peoples personal identity as also of the national and political identities. you wouldn't believe it, but many of them are even proud of that.
a conchita wurst for the eastern block is naturally mostly a 'no go', while for the western parts she also serves as a sign for 'look how tolerant and liberal we are', which may be a fake, but still quite different to the standards of the former eastern block.
Peterssidan
sysna wrote:
In the past Eurovision was really a good starting point for real talented bands/singers. the best one i remember was Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah in E2006 which was a really great rock song but now compare the songs to those past ones, you can easily see that Eurovision is so going down.

All I can think of are those monster costumes. They probably got a lot of votes because of them, but the song was alright too so maybe they deserved to win anyway. I don't remember.