FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless through a Pringles tube?

wutangdan
Has anyone heard about this? My friend told me that there is a way to boost a wireless signal using a modified Pringles tube. Is there any truth in this or is it an Urban myth
MrBaseball34
Here is the BBC story on it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1860241.stm
dcshoes23
MrBaseball34 wrote:
Here is the BBC story on it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1860241.stm

That's pretty funny, who would have thought a prigles can would have such a great alternative use? I'm gonna try that for my brother's computer because he's got really bad reception.
Dustwars9
Wow this is just what i needed to boost my connection. Next time i get a tube of pringles and will also beable to get a better connection Very Happy
snowboardalliance
Wait how do you boost the signal with it? Right now I get 2/5 bars of signal from my room to our router. That would be an easy way to fix it.
bananaphone
It also works with a canned food can.
yjwong
LOL....Shouldn't have thrown away my Pringles tube...

Hmm...What's the reason for the boost? I don't understand...
sibbahz
I could do with that to boost my unreliable wifi connection.
Im guessing its got some sort of metal inside it that conducts the signals, unless they put something else inside it.
Slick
any one have any instruction details lol!

i have the 1st instruction!

1) Eat Contents!

done that but now stuck! Laughing
bassgs_17
Pringles Can?!?! Yes! But seriously, that is a deliciously evil idea... Too bad I already have high-speed internet. Great idea, honestly.
FiZiX
Pringles cans are nice but I'll stick with my 19db parabolic antenna with a 350mw wireless card and a 1 watt amplifier. Twisted Evil
seanooi
I have 4 pringles can lying in my room, but one of them is being used as an ashtray, hahahaha Laughing
corey
http://www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html

There's some instructions. The term often used for this type of antenna is a "Yagi-Uda", after the inventors of the type. The key is that these are directional antennas. You have to point them in the right direction to get the results. Remember, that these devices aren't legal to use in many countries, as they are not approved by the authorities that regulate radio frequencies. But, if you keep quiet about it...
Bookface
FiZiX wrote:
Pringles cans are nice but I'll stick with my 19db parabolic antenna with a 350mw wireless card and a 1 watt amplifier. Twisted Evil

Haha me too... but I think it's a good temporary solution to keep in mind for situation where you don't have the $ or the time or the equipment.
bassgs_17
Perhaps this will allow me to borrow some bandwidth from my neighbors more effectively... I'm not a thief, because...
a.) It's unencrypted
b.) They don't care
c.) I have no conscience!
-Aquastrike
lockwolf
These "Cantannas" are against FCC rules and if you are caught with one you can/will get in some serious trouble and have to pay big fines. Besides, Wifi isnt all its hyped up to be, I like hard wire, its faster!
squeakypants
sweet
ruff_ryder
lockwolf wrote:
These "Cantannas" are against FCC rules and if you are caught with one you can/will get in some serious trouble and have to pay big fines. Besides, Wifi isnt all its hyped up to be, I like hard wire, its faster!

Hum, didn't know there are actual FCC rules for WiFi antennas...in any case, they're far from me Very Happy
Anyway, this is no urban myth, it can be done. I have a few friends who have experimented with it at it works. As for the 'hard wire' remark, that depends. While you have the opportunity to use a broadband ADSL connection, some of us live in a junkyard of a country - namely, Serbia, where ADSL is something to dream about when you go to bed Laughing
Mongrel
I'm not a big fan of cantannas mostly because they are directional. I'm more of a omni guy myself Very Happy

I've never seen any laws regarding antennas, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any... Wireless is still a pretty new technology with not many laws regarding it.
justinrs32
Hmm .. wow. I have actually never heard of that. But hey whatever works, works right?

-Justin
netjunk
I heard about it when i was researching how to expand my wireless network aswell but I just thought it was someone having a laugh. It would look a bit unprofessional though.