FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux on laptop

markkula
I have always been hugely interested of Linux, but the problem has normaly been the installation. Is there a distribution that would work with laptop without problems? And what will happen with the hard drive partition, will it mess up?

-Joni
wutangdan
Another question, is it true you can run Linux on an Xbox, or is my friend just making stuff up?
blueknot
i have never heard of linux on xbox

and yes, you are run linux on laptop. you just need to get the proper drivers for your hardware.
quartz
About linux on xbox is true
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2271
leodv
http://www.xbox-linux.org/ this is the website for installing linux into your xbox. As for linux install into laptop, you could first use linux live-cds and test the compatibility of using linux on your laptop, if you are having some problems, it might be driver problem, as the hardware supported by linux is usual on desktop, although there are many successful linux installation on laptops.
Electrfunch
markkula, what laptop are we talking about? Thoshiba, Acer, Asus etc?
bananaphone
Try using Knoppix (runs from CD) while you get used to it. Then try Ubuntu - its probably the best release around!! And its easy for novices.
Dino
I know that Ubuntu works great on most laptops. I ran it for few months on my HP NC6120, and it was ok, everything was recognized and properly installed. Now i`m running mandriva 2005, and slack 10.01, mandriva recognized all, but slackware has a problem. First, the touchpad isn`t recognized, i`m from Croatia, and we have different keyboard layout with special caracters like ونšžِ, so that is`t recognized, but i think that it wouldn`t make a problem with other keyb. layouts. I`m delighted with mandriva, but slack will be removed
dragonflame
almost any linux runs on laptops, however some were made 'compact' . Two that come to mind are knoppix and linspire, but several runs on a cd, so you can try before install.

this site is probably what you need.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
Dino
www.linux-laptop.net is grat site
markkula
I have a Acer 1693. The true guestion is that will Linux find my Wlan modem, touchpad and so on? How much would I need space for Linux on hard drive?
FiZiX
I've personally never had good luck running linux on a laptop but haven't tried it in a few years. Good luck with your Wlan unless it's a PCMCIA card. Touchpad should work fine. You're gonna need about 5 or 6 gigs for a full install depending on the distribution.
Kd527
The Xbox OS is a Linux. And for installing on a laptop, I recommend a repartition or a new hard drive. Just be careful not to screw up ur windoze.
leodv
If your wireless card is integrated, you might come across some problems in accessing it. Most likely it is a missing driver problem, find out the card's name in windoze and search on the net for solutions of drivers posted by other programmer.
Dino
leodv wrote:
If your wireless card is integrated, you might come across some problems in accessing it. Most likely it is a missing driver problem, find out the card's name in windoze and search on the net for solutions of drivers posted by other programmer.
i didn`t have that problem
cokdes
To install linux on laptop, is the same way like on desktop.

but, you must use Linux which is have big database of driver. Because, usually the devices on laptop is require special driver
aardvark
I've tried most of the main Linux distros on a laptop and the one that seems to work best with 100% recognition of devices (such as wireless networking) is Mandriva. The new 2006 version is particularly good and is on the cover DVD of Linux Magazine this month.
Xcelerate
The first distribution I did on a laptop was feather linux. I just transferred it with my USB key to see if it would work, and it did! It even picked up the wireless internet, which I definitely did not think would work. Some of the larger distributions of linux I found didn't work so well.