FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Neverwinter - F2P MMO

Ankhanu
Neverwinter is a new Free-to-Play MMO based in the Dungeons & Dragons setting of The Forgotten Realms, specifically around the coastal city Neverwinter in the time of the Neverwinter book series by R.A. Salvatore (1400s DR). If you played the Neverwinter Nights games in the early 2000s, it's the same setting, much further in the future. This isn't the first D&D MMO, but it's certainly better implemented than the prior efforts!

Neverwinter went open Beta on Tuesday, and the client (3.8Gb) can be downloaded from the official site:
Http://nw.perfectworld.com

After some difficulty with the servers and Windows being Windows, I've put a couple hours in this afternoon, and have brought my character to level 10 so far. The graphics are ok, and the gameplay is pretty decent with simple enough controls. The D&D 4e rule format seems to work relatively well in the MMO environment; somewhat unsurprising, given that's been the general thought since the rules were released. All in all, I've been having some fun with the game, though my video card isn't yet supported, so things get a little choppy on me from time to time.

You should check it out, it's a decently engaging MMO.
Gregoric
Oh, I did not know that they were planning to release it as free to play (well, in the end it will be pay to win but anyways Smile). But it this case, I have to tell my brother about it, he is Dungeons & Dragons freak and as far as I know, the Dungeon and Dragons Online game required monthly subscription.

I have once played Neverwinter Nights but never had any other expierience with the series.

Unfortunately my laptop which I use to work will probably not be ablt to run this game so I can only watch some screenshots and videos from the game Smile
Ankhanu
DDO did need a monthly subscription at first, then went free to play in the end, offering bonuses to those who put cash into it, and capping levels and such until in-game currency reached a certain level. How that ended up working was that if you weren't paying, you were grinding like hell to earn the points to open content... it was miserable.

Neverwinter Nights was somewhat different than Neverwinter... and they're made by different companies. The spirit is somewhat the same, however.

With perhaps the exception of video, the system requirements are pretty low for Neverwinter, so you MIGHT be able to play at low settings:
nw.perfectworld.com wrote:
Q: What are the System Requirements for Neverwinter?
Recommended System Requirements:

OS: Windows® XP SP3, Windows Vista SP 2, Windows® 7 or Windows 8
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz CPU equivalent or better
Memory: 2GB RAM or more
Video: GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 2900GT performance or better, 512MB+ video ram
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound chip or onboard audio capability with the latest sound drivers

Minimum System Requirements:

Processor: Dual-core 2.0GHz CPU or better
Memory: 1GB RAM
Video: Shader Model 2.0 or higher, GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon X850 performance, 128MB+ video ram
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound chip or onboard audio capability with the latest sound drivers

Broadband Internet Connection Required
Gregoric
Well, the problem is that my laptop was bought only for working so it has only integrated Intel GMA graphics card, which can hold HD movies or Heroes V but any new game is not playable Smile.

If I wanted to check it out, I will probably download it onto my desktop PC instead - it can hold most of games Wink.

Well, after seeing word Neverw..., my brain automatically read it as Neverwinter Nights so that is why I misread it Wink Well, as you said, the world is the same thus the game may remind the previous nes a bit.
Ankhanu
Oh, yeah... my last system had one of those integrated Intel cards... useless for gaming Smile
TheGremlyn
One of my friends posted about this and said I should play. I'm quite tempted to but I also have the same problem as Gregoric. My desktop only has integrated graphics. I bought my computer knowing this because I'm not really a PC gamer. If I could play Neverwinter on my XBOX then there wouldn't be an issue. I guess I could give it a try since its free but I won't hold my breath. Maybe I should start saving for a real computer Razz
Mr_Howl
I downloaded it. I'm not really big into MMOs, but it seems pretty good so far. I may stick with it for a while. I am interested in trying out this "Make your own quest" feature. That sounds pretty neat, and seems to be unique to this game.

One annoying thing is all the people in the chat trying to sell stuff constantly. Fills it up with useless spam.
rx9876
Mr_Howl wrote:
I downloaded it. I'm not really big into MMOs, but it seems pretty good so far. I may stick with it for a while. I am interested in trying out this "Make your own quest" feature. That sounds pretty neat, and seems to be unique to this game.

One annoying thing is all the people in the chat trying to sell stuff constantly. Fills it up with useless spam.

Public message flooding is a common situation in any MMO.
Even in some games what requires actual money to announce public message,
many people still use public channel to selling, buying, chatting, fighting.

You will get used to it very soon.
Ankhanu
rx9876 wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:

Public message flooding is a common situation in any MMO.
Even in some games what requires actual money to announce public message,
many people still use public channel to selling, buying, chatting, fighting.

You will get used to it very soon.

I keep my notification window set to "social", so I only see admin notices and info from friends/group mates... Keeps things far neater.

I didn't play much after a couple days, I'm a pretty casual gamer. I just reached level 23 this evening... One friend has been level 60 for about two weeks, another is in the mid-50s, and a couple in the high 30s.
Game play's continued to be fairly solid, with occasional lag issues.

Despite the video card in my MacBook Pro being pretty decent, the game runs smoother on low settings on my wife's system, with a card below min specs. I assume this is due to my card (Radeon HD 6750M) being unsupported still by the game... I really hope they make the game compatible with my hardware soon so I can play properly on my main system.