FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Australian Deficit - Would you invest?

IndieCthulhu
In Australia there is quiet a few people that are against the Labor Government due to their spending. Since the Labor party was voted into power in 2007. They have been spending their money extraordinarily fast in a bid to set themselves up for the future.

Australia is forecast to have a $12b less in returns from tax than the original budget required.

Some people in the financial world think this will continue on to be a $25b deficit.

Much of this is being speculated to Australia's high dollar...

Being an Australian myself, I am curious. with these problems the government seems to have would you invest in the Australian dollar in the hope that the dept keeps the dollar high?

source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
source 5
c'tair
I haven't kept my eye on Australia (I'm focused on Europe). I guess it really depends on where the money is going.

If I remember correctly, the UK has a rule where the government can only borrow money and pile on debt if that money is an investment ie. building schools, roads and not consumption ie. paying out retirement, bureaucrat wages, etc. A strong currency should also (if I remember correctly) make it cheaper to import various things, which might be good for Australia due to naturally being cut off from the rest of the world by quite some distance.

What do you think?