FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Papers Please! [Freeware Beta]

Mr_Howl
Has anyone else tried this?

Papers, Please is a game where you play as an immigration official in a dystopian world. By looking at identification documents, you have to determine who is allowed to enter the country and who to turn away. Some people are terrorists or spies. As the game progresses, things get harder as more protocols and rules are added to the immigration process.

Right now the game is only a short beta (can be finished in one sitting), but it looks promising. Definitely the most fun I've had from a seemingly boring concept.

Here's the download link. Give it a try.
cybersa
I watched the trailer and i like the concept of the game.
But it should have graphics.
Otherwise it could be a good game.

Personally i don't like 16-bit(Dos) games.
catscratches
It does have graphics.

Mr_Howl
cybersa wrote:
I watched the trailer and i like the concept of the game.
But it should have graphics.
Otherwise it could be a good game.

Personally i don't like 16-bit(Dos) games.

I'm going to disagree. I think the old-school look really adds to the dystopian feel and atmosphere of the game. If this game had 3D character models or whatever I don't think it'd be nearly as good. As is, it feels more Cold-War/1984-ish.

Also I think the juxtaposition of the old-school graphics and the modern, smooth UI is neat.

Why do you think modern graphics would make the game more fun for you?
catscratches
I think it would be possible to make it 3D, but very difficult and I'm not sure what it would add. Smoother 2D graphics is propably easier but then you'd have to avoid it getting a cartoony look. I'm not sure what it would add there either.

Anyhow, I played this a while ago and am very much looking forward to the finished thing.

I don't think it ought to be much longer. I think doing it in one sitting really strengthens it. It kinda breaks you down a bit.
Mr_Howl
catscratches wrote:
I don't think it ought to be much longer. I think doing it in one sitting really strengthens it. It kinda breaks you down a bit.

Yeah, the repetitiveness really adds to the feel of this game. But since some of the characters hint at a Resistance/underground, and there's these token things that you get, I think the creator may have a lot more content in mind. Either way I'm looking forward to v1.0.
pravojednostavno
very interesting game
Iceaxe0410
I've always found it amusing how even the most mundane of tasks in life could be made fun by a video game. If it was real life, I think most people would not enjoy it. I wonder what it is about role playing that makes it more fun. Is it the lack of responsibility if something goes wrong? Well, this definitely is a fun game. Really surprised me,