FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One strange thing about VLC Media Player

likeabreeze
Open a video file with VLC Media Player, and choose the full-screen mode,
and Open a drawing software such as MSPaint,
Select the color red:0 green:0 blue:1
draw some lines,
see what you get..
the video in VLC is gonna be played in these lines!!
I'm just wondering how exactly does VLC Media Player work to make it so?
Play the video in every pixel colored rgb(0,0,1)???
Actually, you can create a web page where the background-color is rgb(0,0,1), you'll get the exactly same result!
What a weird thing about VLC Media Player!!
codegeek
This did not work for me. Which version of VLC media player are you using? I am using 2.0.1 on Windows 8. I put it on fullscreen, then pressed win+d to go to the desktop, then I had paint open with the lines that you described.
likeabreeze
codegeek wrote:
This did not work for me. Which version of VLC media player are you using? I am using 2.0.1 on Windows 8. I put it on fullscreen, then pressed win+d to go to the desktop, then I had paint open with the lines that you described.

I'm currently using VLC media player 2.0.5 Twoflower on Windows XP.
Note that the color is rgb(0,0,1), Hex: #000001
jmraker
A lot of video applications work that way. It's called a hardware overlay. The video is being drawn directly to hardware, bypassing the operating system's usual graphical system.

In a nutshell it uses that slightly more obscure than usual color to say "If the pixel is that color the video can be drawn here, if it's another color pixel it's another window above the player". If another window appears above it the video isn't drawn there unless it happens to use that color which it can do because it's drawing program. It's possible for the video player to minimize and the overlay will stay and show through when another program uses that color (at least in linux).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay

If you take a normal screenshot/print screen to the clipboard you'd probably see that it didn't capture the video that was playing, you'd see a solid box of that color.

In VLC you can change the video output method in the video settings in the preferences, there's 9 of them that may also work.
likeabreeze
jmraker wrote:
A lot of video applications work that way. It's called a hardware overlay. The video is being drawn directly to hardware, bypassing the operating system's usual graphical system.

In a nutshell it uses that slightly more obscure than usual color to say "If the pixel is that color the video can be drawn here, if it's another color pixel it's another window above the player". If another window appears above it the video isn't drawn there unless it happens to use that color which it can do because it's drawing program. It's possible for the video player to minimize and the overlay will stay and show through when another program uses that color (at least in linux).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay

If you take a normal screenshot/print screen to the clipboard you'd probably see that it didn't capture the video that was playing, you'd see a solid box of that color.

In VLC you can change the video output method in the video settings in the preferences, there's 9 of them that may also work.

Thanks for your explanation.
I didn't know there is such a thing as hardware overlay before, sounds cool.