FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there any free CDN?

likeabreeze
I'm currently considering using a CDN to my site.
But most CDN are pretty expensive, is there any free ones though?
metalfreek
Have you thought of using dropbox as CDN. Even though its not exactly a CDN but it can be manipulated to do so with minor tweeks. It should do the trick for smaller sites.

I haven't tried it yet though. Its just a thought.
sysna
how can we use drop box as a CDN ? because as far as i know drop box doesn't give you any permanent direct link to anything you've stored so how can you use it as a storage for CDN ?

i'm searching for examples and i found that there is nearly no free service that we can use as CDN
metalfreek
I have seen people use dropbox as CDN for their wordpress blog.
eckorock
metalfreek wrote:

explain how?

Have you looked at Cloudflare , I don't know exactly what CDN functionality you are looking for but they provide some CDN style options for free.
playfungames
eckorock wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

explain how?

Have you looked at Cloudflare , I don't know exactly what CDN functionality you are looking for but they provide some CDN style options for free.

I do this. I host all the images and static files of my wordpress in dropbox. Then my wordpress accesses it just like a cdn.

This is how to do it:

1. Create a directory called cdn in your dropbox public folder
2. Create a subdomain such as cdn.yoursite.com and redirect it to your cdn folder in dropbox using .htacess
Code:
Redirect 301 / http://dl.dropbox.com/u/<userid>/cdn/

3. Move all the contents of your wp-content and wp-includes to your cdn folder in dropbox leaving 5. the directory structure intact while skipping .php files.
4. Install the WP Super Cache Plugin for Wordpress
5. In the options of this plugin go to CDN and enter your subdomain http://cdn.dropbox.com

You are done. It is that easy.

Note: If you or your wordpress addons add new static files to your wp-content and wp-includes folder, you must move them to dropbox manually. For example. when you upload new images to your wordpress, you will have to upload it to dropbox as well. It is not that conventional.[/list]
eckorock
playfungames wrote:
eckorock wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

explain how?

I do this. I host all the images and static files of my wordpress in dropbox. Then my wordpress accesses it just like a cdn.

This is how to do it:

1. Create a directory called cdn in your dropbox public folder
2. Create a subdomain such as cdn.yoursite.com and redirect it to your cdn folder in dropbox using .htacess
Code:
Redirect 301 / http://dl.dropbox.com/u/<userid>/cdn/

3. Move all the contents of your wp-content and wp-includes to your cdn folder in dropbox leaving 5. the directory structure intact while skipping .php files.
4. Install the WP Super Cache Plugin for Wordpress
5. In the options of this plugin go to CDN and enter your subdomain http://cdn.dropbox.com

You are done. It is that easy.

Note: If you or your wordpress addons add new static files to your wp-content and wp-includes folder, you must move them to dropbox manually. For example. when you upload new images to your wordpress, you will have to upload it to dropbox as well. It is not that conventional.[/list]

that is a really boss idea ! Smile

do you do it to speed up page load times or to provide security/redundancy of some kind?
Nyasro
i also need some free CDN
harrer
Use Google App Engine