FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Please For Christians Only] Is Tithing A Commandment?

miteY
I have been hearing so many people, especially online criticize churches and men of God for collecting tithes.

Please can you people share your views on the matter. Is it wrong or is it right?

Note: I am a Christian and believe in tithing, but I am open to new ideas, if founded in the Bible.
badai
miteY wrote:
I have been hearing so many people, especially online criticize churches and men of God for collecting tithes.

Please can you people share your views on the matter. Is it wrong or is it right?

Note: I am a Christian and believe in tithing, but I am open to new ideas, if founded in the Bible.

these are very conflicting.

tell me, are the doctrine of your religion require or at least encourage it? yes, why oppose? no, why do it?

tell me again, can we find new idea in Bible? it's either new and not in the Bible, or it's old and can be found in the Bible. you can never find new idea in the Bible.
nickfyoung
I believe God requires us to tithe and to give over and above that if we can. Gifts and offerings. It doesn't really matter where we tithe, although there is something to support giving to your church where you are being fed, but to give the minimum 10% is an obedience thing. It is something built into your budget to show God that you are as committed to him as you are to paying your rent etc.
Some people claim that tithing is not mentioned in the New Testament so they don't have to do it. I think that is just an excuse because they don't want to tithe anyway.
Some churches seem to go too far and coerce you to give far more than you can afford so you will be blessed even more. I think there has to be a healthy balance there.
If you hang out with God enough and pester him for an answer, he will tell you what he would like you to give in your situation.
deanhills
Depends on what your definition of tithing is. There are people who are not religious who probably do more than their equivalent of tithing, by giving of themselves (donating their time) or donating in kind, i.e. charity. I guess it's all about giving. The kind of giving that is the most generous of course is the one that is not mentioned and comes spontaneous along unconditional lines.
nickfyoung
Tithing was generally accepted to be 10% of your income, the first fruits or first 10%. After that it is offerings. Many churches call it tithes and offerings still. Many expect you to give your 10% tithe to support the church and then freewill offerings on top towards a building fund etc. As you say, giving includes your time and work and your reaching out to and helping those in need.
stanloplato
Quote:
In the Church today, some claim that God instituted the “tithe” 400 years before God brought the children of Israel under the covenant of the Law of Moses. Therefore, since the “tithe” preceded the Law of Moses it is still relevant and therefore binding in the New Covenant. But the Sabbath was also instituted before the Law of Moses; on the seventh day of creation week. (Gen 2:2-3) If it can be claimed that the “tithe” is binding in the New Testament because it is a pre-law ordinance, shouldn’t it also hold true of the Seventh Day Sabbath?

We all know that Abraham gave a tithe (or a tenth) to Melchizedek, the priest. (Gen.14:20). Many proponents of New Testament tithing use this verse to prove tithing is valid for the church today. Yes, Abraham gave 10% to the priest. But he gave it from the spoils he repossessed from the enemy kings. Abraham gave the remaining 90% to those to whom the goods belonged to in the first place and only tithed once in his lifetime (as far as the Bible recorded). Abraham had not touched his own property or income. (And he was a very wealthy man)

Gen 28:22 is another favorite verse New Testament tithing proponents use to support tithing. Jacob pledged the Lord his life and a tenth of all possessions that would become his along the way. But remember that Jacob was the person who, through deception, took his brother’s birthright and blessing. His name even means deceiver. (Gen. 27:36) Jacob made this promise of giving his tithe conditional: If God would remain with him, keep him in the way, and bring him safely home again, then he would carry out his part of the pledge. “And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.” (Gen.28:18-22)

Some try to use Deuteronomy 14:22 to support tithing. But this verse is taken completely out of context. Deut. 14:22-29 refers to the tithe during the Pilgrimage Feasts, which went to support the house of God and its services during this time. It also refers to the tithes received every third year for helping the poor and needy. This has nothing to do with the weekly tithe taught by the Christian Church.

I do not claim that believers today should not give back to God as they prosper, and as we purpose in our hearts. Believers should “give liberally” as the grace of God allows them. (2 Cor. 9:7) My argument is that the verses used by these tithing proponents are invalid and they are clearly taken out of context. Christians have grace to give, but they are not commanded to tithe. Pastors who want to do what is right should study to rightly divide the word of truth and end this fraudulent teaching.

“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven, and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.” (Malachi 3:10)

Here we have the tithing teachers’ favorite verse in the whole Bible. On this verse they hang most of this doctrine. But if we take a closer look at the verse, we will find something very interesting. In Nehemiah 10:38 we read, “And the priest, the son of Aaron, shall be with the Levites when the Levites receive tithes, and the Levites shall bring up the tenth of the tithes (tithe of the tithes)to the house of our God, to the chambers of the storehouse.” The word ‘storehouse’ is translated as ‘treasure house’ and the Hebrew (‘owtsar) is the same in both Nehemiah and Malachi.

“Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.” (Mal 3:8-9) The tithe was payable by the Levites, not the people. (See Num. 18:20- 32) Malachi is not rebuking the people, he is rebuking the Levites. (Mal.2:1) When our modern day tithing teachers use this verse to point at the people, they are really pointing at themselves –except that most of them refuse to accept this teaching and refuse to teach their congregation this Biblical Truth. 1 Timothy 6:3-5 warns, “If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.” The pastors today who claim to have authority to receive tithes place themselves in a position equivalent to the Levites. So the pastors (Levites) are the ones whom Malachi is rebuking; not the people.

The only ones ever authorized to receive tithes were the Levites. Ever since the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D., it has been impossible to keep the tithing law. Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe because no one is qualified to receive tithes now that the priesthood and temple are gone. WHY? Because the sacrifices that needed to be offered daily has been accomplished “once and for all” (Heb. 10:11-13) There is no more work for the Levite in the administering of offerings. If Christians today need to give offerings then they also need to offer heave offerings, burnt offerings, meat and drink offerings and even peace offerings. But we no longer need to do these things because Christ made peace through his blood on the cross. (Col 1:19-20)

If you have money your family needs, but you withhold it from them in order to pay it to the Church as tithes, you are doing exactly what the Pharisees did. You are saying your money is “Corban” (a gift devoted to God) and is more important than caring for your family. Jesus taught that by doing so you were invalidating the Word of God. (Mark 7:9-13)

I commend churches I have visited that have installed a collection box in the back of their church for contributions and rarely mention tithing. This practice actually has its origin in the Jewish temple. A charity box called ‘kuppah shel tzedakah’ was a repository of public treasury. It was constructed and placed in the courts of the temple, in which the property of widows and orphans were deposited. In Mark 12:41 the term “near the treasury” seems to be used to refer to this receptacle mentioned by the rabbis where contributions were voluntarily paid by the Jews for the service of the temple and the support of the poor.

We are under the perfect law of liberty. (2 Cor. 3:17) According to scripture, we are not told where to worship, or when. (John 4:20-24) We are told to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, (Heb. 10:25) but we are not told how often to assemble. We are not told that Christ instituted a “new” Sabbath that replaces the seventh day Sabbath with the Lord’s Day-Sunday, as many preachers teach. We are not told we must be in church to assemble ourselves together. We are not told how much to give. And we are not told that all of our Christian giving must go only to the church where we are members.

The Gospel is the free gift of God in Jesus Christ. (If it were not free, it would not be a gift!) If you really think about it, discipleship is often reflected fiscally in the life of a congregation. Jesus said that repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations. (Luke 24:47) What does your congregation really need for the hearing and spreading of the Gospel? Usually, very little is needed.

For example, how large a chunk of the congregation’s budget is used up for evangelism? How much does it cost to hear a sermon? How many items on the budget have nothing to do with the spreading of the Gospel? How much more could be spent for world-wide mission work, if the non-Gospel expenses were minimized? If all the extra frills in your budget are sinking your congregation into the red, it probably means that in God’s eyes you do not really need them.

What does a Gospel-based congregation truly treasure, anyway? I remember talking to a member of a congregation that had moved into a very large building and they were now dealing with many problems within and without the congregation. When asked what time in the congregation’s history, did they remember most fondly, their response was: “The days when a few of us heard the Gospel in the pastor’s home.” Yes, it was a time when they had no building at all!

Many people wrestle everyday with poverty. Yet, Jesus did not allow people to use poverty as an excuse for failing to accomplish His purposes. Our Lord said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt. 5:6)

Jesus knows that poverty can be a blessing, instead of a curse. He said, “The poor you will always have with you.” (Mark 14:7) His statement doesn’t reflect a lack of concern for the poor because He cherishes all of humanity; rich and poor alike. Instead of allowing poverty to be used as an excuse for failure to do the will of God, Jesus made the most of whatever He had and encouraged others to do the same.

The Lord also knows that everyone who wants to get rich can fall into temptation, and get trapped into many foolish and harmful desires that can end in ruin and destruction. “For the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil.” (I Tim. 6: 9, 10)

Jesus taught His disciples to focus on doing His will before worrying about daily necessities. The Lord wants us to have our priorities right. Jesus told His disciples, “Do not worry about what you will eat or drink or what kind of clothing you will put on. Look at the birds of the air. They do not sow or reap or gather into barns and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? But seek first His kingdom and righteousness and all of these things will be added to you as well.” (Matt. 6:30-33)

Jesus commended people for giving to the poor, but His priorities involved introducing people to the new birth, discipleship, and building up His church. Ministering to others should be done out of a God love that seeks to draw people into a closer relationship with Jesus Christ.

Jesus knew that many people are easily distracted by money matters – do not fall into that trap. Jesus said, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head… Follow Me.” (Luke 9:5Cool The Lord was always actively encouraging people to be busy about the business of helping the kingdom of God grow. This seems to be God’s mission for all of us. And it isn’t dependent on our finances but on our trust in God’s ability to work through us.

Some people give less than a tithe, and because of the Gospel, they still remain recipients of God’s grace. But there will be others in the Church who will be moved to give a tenth of their income. But there may be others who wind up giving more than a tithe like the widow who gave 100% (Luke 21:4) or Zacchaeus, who gave far more then what was expected. (Luke 19:Cool You never know what is going to happen when the truth of the Gospel is preached and people are given the freedom to choose.

MOD - Quotes added; please provide which sites you used for your Sources.
Material you did not write should be quoted and sourced. Please refer to the forum rules here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html
- Ankhanu
nickfyoung
One can find plenty of articles like this written by those who oppose tithing. I suspect they write them because they don't want to tithe themselves. There is nothing wrong with giving a tithe of your income to the church. It demonstrates to God your commitment to him and your determination to use your most important object in your survival, your money, to show your obedience. The tithe is just the very beginning of your giving and the minimum you should start with. As you are blessed with more finances you can give more as he leads, and not necessarily to the church but to other needs in your community. There are always plenty of those and always plenty who are worse off than you are. I like a quote I heard once where the aim is to be a reverse tither. To get to a stage in life where you are able to live on one tenth of your income and are able to give the rest. Just test God on this and you will see the difference it will make in your life.
Ircher
No it isn't specifically specified as one of the ten commandments, so it is okay not to tithe Wink
On the otherhand, tithing is encouraged because the Lord provided you with everything, so how hard is it to return a small amount? Sad

I hope this sums it up!