FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How To Disable Net User Command in Windows 7

miteY
Hello folks, I need your help.

My younger brother has somehow found a way to change the user password at Windows 7 login screen through net user command on command prompt.
How he brings up the command prompt window at the login screen is still a mystery to me.

What I want to do is to completely disable the Net User command. And if not possible, Command prompt as a whole. If I need to use Command Prompt in the future I can always enable it, right?

Can someone please advice me on how to go about that.

My PC is running on:
Windows 7 Ultimate, SP 1
3GB RAM
320GB HDD

It's kinda urgent. Cool
badai
most probably he get to command prompt via safe mode with command prompt. i am not sure how to disable that.

to disable net command, you can just delete, or rename c:\Windows\System32\net.exe

to disable command prompt or any other program while you running windows normally, you can use tweaknow. try to google the old free version.

but no point to disable it if your brother use safe mode with command prompt.
miteY
^^^^ Thanks for your reply.
But if I should rename net command from System32 folder, will it still be accessible in Safe mode?

BTW, he doesn't use safe mode. He boots the computer normally, and then at the Login Screen somehow brings up the Command prompt. In fact, I will like to know how to do that. Any ideas?
badai
miteY wrote:
^^^^ Thanks for your reply.
But if I should rename net command from System32 folder, will it still be accessible in Safe mode?

BTW, he doesn't use safe mode. He boots the computer normally, and then at the Login Screen somehow brings up the Command prompt. In fact, I will like to know how to do that. Any ideas?

try this: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-launch-command-prompt-or-other-programs-using-ease-of-access-button-at-login-screen-in-windows-vista-and-7/

maybe your brother do that (rename utilman to cmd). if not, you can google "access command prompt from login screen".
miteY
When I try to rename the net.exe file, I am told that I need permission from TrustedInstaller to continue. How do I get this permission?
badai
miteY wrote:
When I try to rename the net.exe file, I am told that I need permission from TrustedInstaller to continue. How do I get this permission?

try to run the thing that you are in (command prompt, windows explorer, your favorite file explorer/bulk rename tool) when you try to rename it, as administrator. right click, run as administrator.

it might not work though, because maybe it's protected system file or whatever. in that case, again, you can google the exact message (with inverted comma) that you get when you try to rename it.
cybersa
miteY wrote:

By changing the owner ship you can able to rename the file.
or
Put a linux live cd and rename it.

If cmd windows appeared after you pressed shift key five times then you need to rename the sethc.exe.
otherwise rename utilman.exe