FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Bizarre Story

nickfyoung
I have copy pasted an article that I got straight from an email below. It is an astounding story of bizarre coincidences. What do you think.

Quote:
At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, (AAFS) President, Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story:

On March 23, 1994....... the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus, and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head.
Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten-story building intending to commit suicide. He left a note to the effect indicating his despondency. As he fell past the ninth floor, his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window, which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the deceased was aware that a safety net had been installed just below the eighth floor level to protect some building workers and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned.

The room on the ninth floor, where the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigorously and he was threatening her with a shotgun! The man was so upset that when he pulled the trigger, he completely missed his wife, and the pellets went through the window, striking Mr. Opus.

When one intends to kill subject 'A' but kills subject 'B' in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject 'B.' When confronted with the murder charge, the old man and his wife were both adamant, and both said that they thought the shotgun was not loaded.
The old man said it was a long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, assuming the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident.. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother.

Since the loader of the gun was aware of this, he was guilty of the murder even though he didn't actually pull the trigger. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.

Now comes the exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the old couple's son was, in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder.

This led him to jump off the ten-story building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast passing through the ninth story window.

The son, Ronald Opus, had actually murdered himself. So the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

MOD - Quotes added; please provide which sites you used for your Sources.
Material you did not write should be quoted and sourced. Please refer to the forum rules here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html
- Ankhanu
badai
you must be very new to the Internet

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/opus.asp
nickfyoung
I checked for links but there are none to be had.

Like it was stated in the post I copied it straight from an email that I received with no links to anywhere in it.

You can delete it if you wish. I just thought it may amuse some one.
watersoul
Copy and paste a section of it into a search engine first, Snopes.com will usually give details of a known urban myth:

Snopes.com

This is an old one I must admit.
You're not alone Nick, I see loads of fake stories with images being shared on Facebook so I always have a quick check on the background before I share anything myself. Nearly all are fake and some so obviously that I cringe for the gullibility of the friend who shared it.

As well as silly, the most dangerous one I've seen was "Emergency police help at ATM cash machines" claiming that if a robber was demanding your money/card then you type your access security (PIN) number backwards and the police are automatically alerted. The obvious flaw is if your number was something like 1221 or 0660 then it would not work. So convinced was a really dizzy girl I know that I typed it myself in front of her at a cashpoint to prove nothing happens. I didn't want to embarrass her, just prevent her relying on something that doesn't work, especially when screaming for help from passers by would be more useful.
badai
watersoul wrote:
Copy and paste a section of it into a search engine first, Snopes.com will usually give details of a known urban myth:

Snopes.com

This is an old one I must admit.
You're not alone Nick, I see loads of fake stories with images being shared on Facebook so I always have a quick check on the background before I share anything myself. Nearly all are fake and some so obviously that I cringe for the gullibility of the friend who shared it.

As well as silly, the most dangerous one I've seen was "Emergency police help at ATM cash machines" claiming that if a robber was demanding your money/card then you type your access security (PIN) number backwards and the police are automatically alerted. The obvious flaw is if your number was something like 1221 or 0660 then it would not work. So convinced was a really dizzy girl I know that I typed it myself in front of her at a cashpoint to prove nothing happens. I didn't want to embarrass her, just prevent her relying on something that doesn't work, especially when screaming for help from passers by would be more useful.

gullible or attention whor*? most people on facebook are the later.

you don't necessarily share what you believe, but you will post anything to get notice.
TheGremlyn
Sounds like it could be a movie. They show you the ending bit with a bit of a inner monologue and then they take you back to the beginning where everything started. As you watch the movie you see how everything unfolds and you see the humour or irony of the situation. I can't recall the names of the movies I've seen like this but they're out there and this reminds me of it.
watersoul
badai wrote:
gullible or attention whor*? most people on facebook are the later.

you don't necessarily share what you believe, but you will post anything to get notice.
I agree that there are many people on Facebook who appear to embark on a tactic of telling the world everything, but I wouldn't say most people using the site are attention ******.
I have less than 100 Fbook friends, but they are all real friends from 'real' life. It is a useful tool for keeping in touch with what's going on in my social group, parties, live music nights, camping weekends or festivals, whatever.
I've lost count how many 'friends of friends' I ignore requesting friendship on Fbook though, if someone is an acquaintance and not a friend in the non-digital world then they don't get accepted.

...I could equally be accused of attention seeking with the number of posts I've made on Frihost. I would disagree because I know that is not my intention, but I'm the only person who knows that Shocked
nickfyoung
When you go to forums such as the general area, it is fairly obvious that there are some desperately looking for something to post about or reply to. So when I come across something interesting I post it basically to give some one an opportunity to get a reply in.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
When you go to forums such as the general area, it is fairly obvious that there are some desperately looking for something to post about or reply to. So when I come across something interesting I post it basically to give some one an opportunity to get a reply in.
That's fair enough, more posts provide more possible avenues of discussion for members, I was only sharing my experiences in an attempt to help when you're reading the next internet hoax or urban myth.

It was certainly more interesting than the multitude of one liner OP's along the lines of "Do you like growing cabbages?" "How to cook potatoes?" "Do you live by a riverbank?" or whatever, and at least you actually reply to your topics so it creates conversation.

We may differ wildly in our life outlook and beliefs Nick, but I am not your foe as a result.
If you have something to share which interests me you will always get my honest reply, albeit unwelcome perhaps Wink
nickfyoung
I get a lot of those emails from well meaning Christian friends some of whom are a bit over zealous to say the least. A recent one was about a dig revealing remains of giants with photos to prove it. A bit dubious I checked on Google and found the original photos and where they had been Photoshopped on a Christian site no less.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
I get a lot of those emails from well meaning Christian friends some of whom are a bit over zealous to say the least. A recent one was about a dig revealing remains of giants with photos to prove it. A bit dubious I checked on Google and found the original photos and where they had been Photoshopped on a Christian site no less.
What is over zealous?
Any belief in unprovable things which inspires a person to share it with me is behaviour I consider just as zealous.
nickfyoung
watersoul wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
What is over zealous?
Any belief in unprovable things which inspires a person to share it with me is behaviour I consider just as zealous.

I would consider say the Jehovah's Witnesses as over zealous. Many Christians are the same and try and push their message where it is not welcome.
I don't think I have ever tried to do that on here, have I?
TheGremlyn
Ugh, Jehovah's Witnesses. Sorry. Back in the day when we saw them drive up to our house we literally turned the TV off and lights and hid! We never wanted to talk to them. I mean, my dad might since he doesn't have many friends (isolates himself by choice, really) so he would give in to conversation. However, after mom died and they came around... I think he talked to them a bit but he basically smashed their belief system and they kind of scuttled out of the house and he hasn't seen them since.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
Many Christians are the same and try and push their message where it is not welcome.
I don't think I have ever tried to do that on here, have I?
Such a question would deserve it's own topic.
If you start something along those lines I may be tempted to contribute my opinion.
nickfyoung
Repent, repent and sin no more.

Like the Pastor who couldn't get anyone to paint the church so he decided to do it himself. He got the paint out one day and felt it a bit short so watered it down and got into it with a roller and was all done in no time.
He had just stood back to admire his work when a thunderstorm broke with heavy rain and washed it all off.
He complained to God, 'What are you doing to me',

And God replied, 'Repaint, repaint and thin no more.'
TheGremlyn
nickfyoung wrote:
Repent, repent and sin no more.

Like the Pastor who couldn't get anyone to paint the church so he decided to do it himself. He got the paint out one day and felt it a bit short so watered it down and got into it with a roller and was all done in no time.
He had just stood back to admire his work when a thunderstorm broke with heavy rain and washed it all off.
He complained to God, 'What are you doing to me',

And God replied, 'Repaint, repaint and thin no more.'

A comical scene Razz Thinning paint is a bit of a shortcut. Paint wouldn't be as vibrant either I don't think...
codegeek
I have a hunch that this is more fiction than real life. However, it did amuse me. Especially the part where the guy who is shot is actually the son.
nickfyoung
It does smack of fiction doesn't it. A huge run of coincidences otherwise.
SonLight
Not only is the story in the OP interesting for the legal analysis, but the Scopes writeup is quite amusing, and the story seems quite harmless, whether believed or not. The legal implications are probably accurate, since the story was originally invented by a forensic examiner. It was of course understood to be fictional when originally told at the AFAS meeting.

Apparently the story was just too good to keep, so it remained popular in shared emails for years.
nickfyoung
Even as fiction it was very clever especially since there was a safety net the next floor down. The email was titled something like move over Agatha Cristie so I suppose that is a good clue on it's own.