FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How To Change Domain Name

Dennise
What's the procedure to change an existing FirHost domain name?

I tried to rename an existing FriHost domain name using my FTP tool, but attempts to access the site using the new name returns"Website Not Found". What could be the problem?

e.g:
old domain name = mydomain.frih.org
renamed domain name = mdomain.frih.org

1. Need to wait for FriHost to approve the name change?
2. Need to wait for the new name to propagate to servers? (still wouldn't work after about an hour)
3. Make the name change using DirectAdmin?
4. Something else?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Dennise
Tried making the domain name change with DirectAdmin.

Both DirectAdmin and my FTP tool show the correct renamed domain name and my files are in the correct folder. The renamed domain accessed OK one time, but no longer does and I get website not found.

Help!
Qantas94Heavy
Dennise wrote:

I tried to rename an existing FriHost domain name using my FTP tool, but attempts to access the site using the new name returns"Website Not Found". What could be the problem?

e.g:

2. Need to wait for the new name to propagate to servers? (still wouldn't work after about an hour)
4. Something else?

As far as I am aware you can't get a new *.frih.org subdomain, or any of the other Frihost subdomains. Unfortunately, this means that either you'll have to resort to those so-called "free domain" sites (all but one "registrar" are just subdomains in reality though) or buy a domain.
Dennise
I appears I'm good to go now, but honestly I'm not exactly sure why or how.

I'm guessing that making a domain name change somewhere in DirectAdmin, and then waiting long enough for the name change to propagate and/or/both Bondings to take some action is what worked.

Perhaps I was too impatient. I know a new website can take time to propagate, but perhaps just as long for a name change as well?
deanhills
Dennise wrote:

e.g:

4. Something else?

Only Bondings can make a change from one sub-domain name to another sub-domain name. Or from a sub-domain to a main domain. However when you have a sub-domain, you can get any other domain to point to it, so in effect can make a domain change.

What I would do if you wanted another free domain name instead of the one you currently owned (until you can change it - otherwise you'd have to wait until Bondings returns), would be to create a dot.tk domain. Park the dot.tk domain in your DirectAdmin. Then go into your dot.tk account and get those name servers to point to the ones that are in your Frihost Account. It may take anything from a day to three days for it to propagate, but you'll be able to have a name change to another "free" name. I've been using dot.tk for almost a year now and am very happy with their service.
Dennise
deanhills wrote:

What I would do if you wanted another free domain name instead of the one you currently owned (until you can change it - otherwise you'd have to wait until Bondings returns), would be to create a dot.tk domain. Park the dot.tk domain in your DirectAdmin. Then go into your dot.tk account and get those name servers to point to the ones that are in your Frihost Account. It may take anything from a day to three days for it to propagate, but you'll be able to have a name change to another "free" name. I've been using dot.tk for almost a year now and am very happy with their service.

Thanks for the advice. Next time I'll give that a shot.
loyd
Once the domain name is registered you cannot change it. Smile
Peterssidan
Subdomain changes can be requested at the Account page.