FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OH my... My points have gone minus...

medesignz
What happens when the points go minus????
manfer
If you have a hosting account and you go beyond -5 you receive an email warning about the inactivity. If you go beyond -10 you get second warning and your account can be suspended because of inactivity.

Quote:

Q: What are the 'Points'?
The Points are used to determine how active you are (if you are hosted by us). You shouldn't worry about them, unless they become negative. The hosting accounts of users with negative Points may be removed. You can't trade or exchange Points.
You are able to earn points by posting messages on our forums. At the moment of writing this, you can earn between 1 and 5 points, depending on the length of the post. Please keep in mind that those values are regularly changing and may currently be different.
Every day, 1 Point is deducted from all hosted members. There is also a maximum of 45 Points. Two email warnings are sent at -5 and -10 Points. Your account may get removed after those two warnings if you are still inactive.
Please note that the Points are only an indication of your activeness. Frihost uses it to indicate possible inactive users. No account is removed automatically.

http://www.frihost.com/faq.php
deanhills
In practice probably won't happen soon as Bondings seems to be far FAR away. Even if he were present, he usually is very generous. If one has a fair sized number of posts, is a member of good standing, and the Website is not breaking any rules, it would take an enormous minus and very long period of inactivity for the Website account to be suspended or terminated.
twotrophy
deanhills wrote:
In practice probably won't happen soon as Bondings seems to be far FAR away. Even if he were present, he usually is very generous. If one has a fair sized number of posts, is a member of good standing, and the Website is not breaking any rules, it would take an enormous minus and very long period of inactivity for the Website account to be suspended or terminated.

Bondings also gets negative points from time to time as well. He currently has negative points at the moment. It is likely that he would post soon to make his number of points positive again.
Bluedoll
medesignz wrote:
You fall into a deep depression. Laughing
RoylanM
Bondings is a nice a man if you're a person who keeps his or her post up and you can always request your points be reseted but not frequently.
medesignz
Thats it... I'm making a conscience decision to visit this site at least 5 times a week. Will it happen... Well, if my blog posting routine is anything to go by when it comes to keeping up with schedules... Then its a no... But I will do by bloomin' bestest. I gotta get back up to 45! Razz
sark
My points were negative for a loooong time, but I guess I'm trying to make it change.
johans
Bluedoll wrote:
medesignz wrote:

dont be shock.

you need to be more active in posting.

Have a good day!
spinout
I have heard of big negative numbers... And nothing happens - that is good.
medesignz
sark wrote:
My points were negative for a loooong time, but I guess I'm trying to make it change.
You joined in 2011 and only have around 20-30 posts, that is gonna sting a bit Wink
Da Rossa
Be more active on the forums and you'll enjoy it. It will also be more difficult for you to lose your hosting Smile
Insanity
That's nice of Bondings to be so generous with accounts. I always worry that if my points go below -5 then my account will be deleted so I hurry to make posts. It's good to know that there's a good possibility that it won't happen. I'm assuming because I've been here for a while.
medesignz
Insanity wrote:
That's nice of Bondings to be so generous with accounts. I always worry that if my points go below -5 then my account will be deleted so I hurry to make posts. It's good to know that there's a good possibility that it won't happen. I'm assuming because I've been here for a while.
I always hope to be active on the forums, but sometimes I just don't get the time. :S
Da Rossa
Quote:

I know it's none of my business, but this is a forum, and forums are for big mouths like myself... so let's say it: I believe you should raise your standards regarding the "unacceptability threshold". to get to -5 you must be very very inactive, at a point it looks like you just come here for the 'minimum contribution'...

If we had anyone but people just looking to stay above -5 points then this entire forum would be as good as a zombie.. it would lose the entertainment so people would be less proactive and the whole service (the hosting) would come to an end...
medesignz
Da Rossa wrote:
I know it's none of my business, but this is a forum, and forums are for big mouths like myself... so let's say it: I believe you should raise your standards regarding the "unacceptability threshold". to get to -5 you must be very very inactive, at a point it looks like you just come here for the 'minimum contribution'...

If we had anyone but people just looking to stay above -5 points then this entire forum would be as good as a zombie.. it would lose the entertainment so people would be less proactive and the whole service (the hosting) would come to an end...
You're right... It is none of your business Wink
Da Rossa
To glad you read and understood my post, tho. Very Happy
medesignz
Seriously though, do the points continue to minus up, or do they stop at -5? The thing that stumped me was that I got restricted to 45 points. I'm sure I would have never gone minus if there was no limits.
Mr_Howl
medesignz wrote:
Seriously though, do the points continue to minus up, or do they stop at -5? The thing that stumped me was that I got restricted to 45 points. I'm sure I would have never gone minus if there was no limits.

No, they continue to go negative.

(I'm currently at -19)
manfer
medesignz wrote:

The 45 points limit has a reason that anyone can understand. If there were no limit some people would come here one day to start posting and posting and posting without having anything to say just to earn enough points to never can back in months or years. And obviously that is not the purpose of this forum that is used to pay the server bills.

If you go beyond -5 (first email warning) it continue going down of course and if it goes under -10 (second email warning) as explained in the FAQ your hosting account can be removed.

And after -10 it continue going down and down and down. And the people that have huge negative points (and almost sure with accounts removed because of inactivity) and want to get hosting again are asking for a point reset.

Allowing members with hosting accounts to dissapear for a month and a half without posting seems more than reasonable.

Seriously when I see people asking for that 45 points increased because they sometimes are too busy for more than one month and a half makes no sense and almost sure is a lie. For sure they have spare time on that month and a half but they are not interested on using that spare time in here. It is better to be playing a game, looking to a film, enjoying holidays, ..., or whatever.

Not to mention that almost all websites need maintenance so it is not common sense not paying attention to a website for more than one month and a half.

By the way I already answered this on the first reply to this thread, with a quote of the text on the FAQ that explains it and a link to the FAQ itself. So I wonder if you pay any attention to the answers.
deanhills
Haha, wonder whether Bondings received the two warnings. We'll all be in a rather precarious situation if his Website account got to be suspended so am happy that Website suspensions at Frihost aren't automatic .... Mind you if Evil Daddy had anything to do with it, it could potentially get very interesting.

Muahahaha .....
manfer
deanhills wrote:
Haha, wonder whether Bondings received the two warnings. We'll all be in a rather precarious situation if his Website account got to be suspended so am happy that Website suspensions at Frihost aren't automatic .... Mind you if Evil Daddy had anything to do with it, it could potentially get very interesting.

Muahahaha .....

I'm almost sure that particular website is not hosted in any of the 4 Servers used to give free hosting accounts. At least it has its own IP. Wink

Maybe physically is in same "machine" that host other server but logically more than probable it has its own server totally independent of the other servers management.
deanhills
manfer wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Muahahaha .....

I'm almost sure that particular website is not hosted in any of the 4 Servers used to give free hosting accounts. At least it has its own IP. Wink

Maybe physically is in same "machine" that host other server but logically more than probable it has its own server totally independent of the other servers management.
Aha .... you're right Manfer. Looks as though it is Evil Daddy proof as it is on a completely different continent than servers 1 to 4 .... Very Happy
playfungames
Don't worry, you still will have time to make up for those negative points. I see you have already. Also I have had my points go negative a couple of times and nothing happened. I just came back and fixed it. But you have to worry about getting your account suspended if you let your point go to negative for a long time.
medesignz
deanhills wrote:

Muahahaha .....
Would that be considered cannibalism, incestuous or paradoxical?
deanhills
medesignz wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Muahahaha .....
Would that be considered cannibalism, incestuous or paradoxical?
Probably none of the above.
medesignz
Interesting link in your sig to the frihost posting stats showing a major fall in posts.

Does anyone actually have an explanation about that?
dharmin
Just curious, What is the maximum number of Negative Points have you guys seen of someone?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Due to my long absence owing to my vacation recently, mine became -30, which is the maximum -ve ive seen of anyone! Embarassed
manfer
medesignz wrote:
Interesting link in your sig to the frihost posting stats showing a major fall in posts.

Does anyone actually have an explanation about that?

I don't see a recent major fall anywhere. The graph is on inverse order, the part on the left are the most recent months and the part of the right are the older ones as you can see on the data that follows the graph.

So my interpretation would be that it is long ago that the posting numbers has stabilized to mostly actual values and the peak you see on the graph is only first years of frihost.

Maybe it is because of the owner being so kind and not suspending people and for that reason some doesn't even take the time to post the required posts to maintain their hosted accounts? Twisted Evil

I suppose most probable that indicates less people interested on free hosting (or just a lot more free hostings available and other alternatives too) and less people interested in posting on forums because of the huge number of social networks which is what people use more nowadays.
GuidanceReader
manfer wrote:

Maybe it is because of the owner being so kind and not suspending people and for that reason some doesn't even take the time to post the required posts to maintain their hosted accounts? Twisted Evil

Hahaha... that's what I was just thinking Razz Twisted Evil
Bluedoll
johans wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:
medesignz wrote:

dont be shock.

you need to be more active in posting.

Have a good day!

"deep depression - was meant to be a joke ie: lol

What does "dont be shock" mean?

I am doing ok in points

thanks for the good day wish. Smile
mahirh
dharmin wrote:
Just curious, What is the maximum number of Negative Points have you guys seen of someone?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Due to my long absence owing to my vacation recently, mine became -30, which is the maximum -ve ive seen of anyone! Embarassed

And then i look at mine.
*Weeps silently in the toilet*
Isn't that almost one and a half years' worth of points? Turns out I do really have a bad memory.
Ankhanu
Mahirh has one of the larger collections of -ve points I've seen, but I've seen higher; maybe into the -700s.

If a long-absent user is seriously returning, they can request a points reset to bring them back to 0.
deanhills
Well at least you can remove the DEAD from your signature mahirh. Maybe you could replace it with this instead:

Code:
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Welcome back to Frihost!

By the way, if you don't know how to get your points reset .... it's available as an automatic feature in your Account. Just click on the Points Reset Request link.
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
Well at least you can remove the DEAD from your signature mahirh. Maybe you could replace it with this instead:

Code:
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Welcome back to Frihost!

By the way, if you don't know how to get your points reset .... it's available as an automatic feature in your Account. Just click on the Points Reset Request link.
Either that or
Code:
THE LIVING DEAD
Radar
So now we progress into either discussing zombies or 'I'm not dead yet' Monty Python.
medesignz
Radar wrote:
So now we progress into either discussing zombies or 'I'm not dead yet' Monty Python.
These Humans Cease To Be....
mukesh
My points in minus current status about -191.

About 6 - 7 months after I return back.

I was busy in dot Net classes.

My points was about 240 but now 191 but now i am free and i try to get knowledge in php (Joomla).
limpands
Lol, it's so boring, posting here all the time Razz
zimmer
medesignz wrote:

I have seen a lot of complaints posting on the forum these days. I guess someone exploiting the points or is it a bugs? this must be address i guess because we users keep posting everyday and points is the only source that we are active in the forum.

If that would happen my self i should also complaint.

here is also the post complaining the points deducted suddenly http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-151362.html

I hope this will not happens to me. lol
deanhills
Zimmer, it happens when one hasn't posted for a while, as in all of the cases in this thread. If one doesn't post, then one's points go down. We go down one point every day we haven't posted.

The question in this thread was what the penalty is when one has gone through zero. And it was pretty much answered.

Having said that, now and then (VERY RARELY) something happens and we do lose a point for some or other reason. I've seen that happening to me. But it is not a great shakes loss to the extent of suddenly dropping through zero if one has been in the positive before.

Some of the people in this thread are in deep red, and that is for natural reasons. They haven't posted in a very LONG while.
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
Zimmer, it happens when one hasn't posted for a while, as in all of the cases in this thread. If one doesn't post, then one's points go down. We go down one point every day we haven't posted.

The question in this thread was what the penalty is when one has gone through zero. And it was pretty much answered.

Having said that, now and then (VERY RARELY) something happens and we do lose a point for some or other reason. I've seen that happening to me. But it is not a great shakes loss to the extent of suddenly dropping through zero if one has been in the positive before.

Some of the people in this thread are in deep red, and that is for natural reasons. They haven't posted in a very LONG while.

For you to get +56(at time of posting) surely you spend a good deal of your time commenting on the posts. Do you have any tips for those struggling to make up the points? Very Happy
Bluedoll
@deanhills Would you say those acquiring negative points are potentially putting coins back into the global economy?

@ medesignz My only suggestion is to engage others by asking questions or attempting to answer questions - comment on something you read. Interaction tends to tweak interest therefore engagement. Another alternative it create your own topics in forum or blog. I think those things are all the options?
deanhills
medesignz wrote:
deanhills wrote:

For you to get +56(at time of posting) surely you spend a good deal of your time commenting on the posts. Do you have any tips for those struggling to make up the points? Very Happy
This is a difficult one as for me every one is different. Writing posts comes easier for some than others. I'd say if you didn't have anything to say, don't make the post just for the sake of making a post. Blog instead. I'm sure there would always be something you could blog about. A hobby perhaps, or a piece of programming you're proud off, or a special event, a work of art or a photo you admire. You earn the same amount of points with blog posts than forum posts. You could also run a competition in the Contests Sub-Forum, and naturally earn points as you run the competition.
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
This is a difficult one as for me every one is different. Writing posts comes easier for some than others. I'd say if you didn't have anything to say, don't make the post just for the sake of making a post. Blog instead. I'm sure there would always be something you could blog about. A hobby perhaps, or a piece of programming you're proud off, or a special event, a work of art or a photo you admire. You earn the same amount of points with blog posts than forum posts. You could also run a competition in the Contests Sub-Forum, and naturally earn points as you run the competition.
I do actually blog, but on my own websites, not on here... BUT you have given me an idea about posting blogs about my coding of wordpress that I am currently in the middle of doing. Thanks muchly Smile
deanhills
medesignz wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I do actually blog, but on my own websites, not on here... BUT you have given me an idea about posting blogs about my coding of wordpress that I am currently in the middle of doing. Thanks muchly Smile
I'd definitely be interested to reading those medesignz as I'm sure would quite a few others. Looking forward to your blog posts about word press.
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
I'd definitely be interested to reading those medesignz as I'm sure would quite a few others. Looking forward to your blog posts about word press.
Great! I'll make sure you are up to date Smile

EDIT: Funnily enough I came up with a solution to a problem I was facing earlier, and thought it would be a good easy blog Smile http://www.frihost.com/users/medesignz/blog/
deanhills
Great post. Just read it. I couldn't comment on it unfortunately. As the comment feature must have been disabled.

EDIT: That must have been a fluke, as the reply feature is enabled now. Very Happy
zimmer
now i got also points deducted which i also started a post on this link.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-155495.html#1163075
johans
zimmer wrote:
now i got also points deducted which i also started a post on this link.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-155495.html#1163075

Lol, it happens to me also.

i think someone is hacking a points here.. lol

Well, what i did is keeping posted to gain more points.
medesignz
My points have gone down again so much... I really should get on here more often, but the sites server seem to malfunctioning more and more whenever i try and access the site. d'oh!
Qantas94Heavy
medesignz wrote:
My points have gone down again so much... I really should get on here more often, but the sites server seem to malfunctioning more and more whenever i try and access the site. d'oh!

It appears that there are some issues (both with the forums and the sites themselves - the latter much less so Smile) from time to time - unfortunate but there doesn't seem to be much done about this issue. Confused
zimmer
i think its better to update now the frihost site and do some maintenance on server. But i think some user not encounter this kind of issues.

Perhaps selected or shall i saw bug.. i am not sure.
Aredon
dharmin wrote:

Well I can only speak for myself but I haven't been able to catch up. However, my site is still very much hosted. So it's probably a safe bet I'm not the only one that's seen less than -450.

Also... hi guys! Hope life is treating you all well.
Ankhanu
Welcome back Smile

Request a points reset, if you haven't already. If you're planning to stick around and have positive points, it won't be a problem.
medesignz
Aredon wrote:
dharmin wrote:

Well I can only speak for myself but I haven't been able to catch up. However, my site is still very much hosted. So it's probably a safe bet I'm not the only one that's seen less than -450.

Also... hi guys! Hope life is treating you all well.
Thats insane. You must have been away for a year and a few months. HAHA
GuidanceReader
I have a tendency to forget the forum exists and thus go to negative quite often, but I get reminded to come back before they get too far into the negative (usually by something going wrong with my website) and then I get to madly posting to get as high as I can, so I can leave it for another month and a half. Sad, isn't it?

That being said, if I find myself involved in a good conversation, I do remember to come back and check. Until the said conversation ends or I don't get a reply to my last comment after some time.
medesignz
I try my best to start topics that I am interested in, but they never seem to gather motion.

Other than this very topic, ironically.