FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you like art movies?

diablera
Well, I've seen lots of people talk about crap movies everywhere. American (from Hollywood mostly) movies are not the best, they actually are quite bad most of the times, but film companies invest on them lots of million dollars, so they become famous and popular... but what about the art movies?

My fave film makers are: Lars Von Trier, Wim Wenders, Peter Greenaway and Ingmar Bergman...

Who are yours?

Cheers!!!! Rolling Eyes
gh0stface
What exactly are Art Movies?

I've never even of the three film makers you have listed... :/

Although I don't really pay attention to who film makers in the first place. The only one I really know is George Lucas, Steve Spielberg, Stanely Kubrick, and Woody Allen. I suppose I might know some more, but those only come to mind right now.
Naif
gh0stface wrote:
What exactly are Art Movies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_film
Ioana
diablera wrote:
Well, I've seen lots of people talk about crap movies everywhere. American (from Hollywood mostly) movies are not the best, they actually are quite bad most of the times, but film companies invest on them lots of million dollars, so they become famous and popular... but what about the art movies?

My fave film makers are: Lars Von Trier, Wim Wenders, Peter Greenaway and Ingmar Bergman...

Who are yours?

Cheers!!!! Rolling Eyes

I think the border between arts and no arts is difficult to make. But I shall just name some of my favourite authors:
Emir Kusturica, Tony Gatlif, Pedro Almodovar, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Luis Bunuel, Andrei Tarkovski, Eldar Ryazanov,...

But this list I would continue forever and might just another time put different ones on the first places. I think I chose those because their movies are rather "good mood movies" with lots of comedy too and your list is rather of the serious type - but guys I like too.
The world is full of good movies... and there are more and more being made (unfortunately I can't talk that way about percentage of movies made on the whole).
mstreet
hmmm well I would say this movie is based in art and its really interesting Powaqqatsi the interesting thing about this is that it was produced by George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola (hope I spelled the name correctly)
Nyizsa
I think these films are considered as "art" because they don't follow any rules of the story. Like "a hero saves the world" or "the lovers suffer but get together at the end and everybody is happy". Their stories are rather from the real world. And after watching one, you will think it over and over for days. (By the way, I think this makes a film good.)
Most of the people just want to sit on the sofa at the evening, tired of thinking all day, or just prepare something for dinner and the tv is just for noise. An art film can't be seen this way. I need the mood for them, I sit down, and concentrate on it - and afterwards I think on it, for days.
By the way, I like Emir Kusturicavery much, among others.
pudovkin
I don't like this label, "art".
"Art" should not be a category. Perhaps, a status.
And let's remember: "art" is not absolute, but in fact a subjective thing.
"Star wars" could be understood as a art piece.
And "Un chien andalou", not. Just a piece of junk.