FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

100 word story contest, [Closed, winner declared]

watersoul
I was thinking about a 100 word contest that I entered nearly 2 years ago here. It was created by the member 'Nameless' (I wonder how he's doing these days) and was an interesting challenge.

This contest will be along similar lines although I shall be the judge based on all manner of things depending on if the entry moved me, made me laugh, proved interesting or whatever. There is no set criteria for what I think is the winner here, it will just be the one I like the most, or in the extremely unlikely event where I don't like any, the one I least dislike.

There is a slight difference though, all entries must be exactly 100 words, no plus or minus 10%, bang on 100.
You may submit as many entries as you like though.

The prize:
All my coins above 350 (the magic symbolic figure Laughing), at the moment it stands at *Edit* 113.08, but will rise further tomorrow, so whatever coins I have above 350 at the closing date of the contest will be heading towards the winner.

The topic:
100 words under the story title "A new beginning"

The closing date:
Whatever time I post "The End" before crashing to bed on Tuesday 30th April 2013 is the end of entries being accepted for submission.
Winner will be announced before I go Zzz on Tuesday 7th May 2013

I look forward to all contributions, it is always interesting to see the differing perspectives of a set title through writing. I shall also consider my own contribution over the next few days.
sonam
Two questions:
1. Title "A new beginning" is not calculated in story or we must calculate it in story?
2. English is not my mother language and I cannot guaranty right grammar. Is this OK?

Sonam
watersoul
sonam wrote:
Two questions:
1. Title "A new beginning" is not calculated in story or we must calculate it in story?
2. English is not my mother language and I cannot guaranty right grammar. Is this OK?

1. The story can be any idea you have which has meaning in some way to the title "A new beginning". If I can see some kind of link to that phrase then it is a valid entry. If I can see no obvious indication of a link between the title and the story then it is unlikely to be a winner.

2. I know that from your longtime membership here, not a problem. I've seen many posts of yours over the years and it will certainly be taken into account so you will have as much a chance as anyone.
The winner is the one I like best for my own personal arbitrary reasons.
sonam
Ok, thanks. I will try to write something d'oh!

Sonam
watersoul
sonam wrote:
Ok, thanks. I will try to write something d'oh!
I look forward to reading it Smile
watersoul
Here's a quick example of a simple 100 word entry loosely related to the title:

The noise stopped suddenly, a final dull thud with the faint creak of stressed metal.
He scrambled out of the drivers window, “nobody’s hurt, nobody‘s hurt” repeating over and over from his shocked trembling lips.
The car finally relaxed on it’s roof and almost sneered at his stupidity.

How many times had he followed that same route?
How many times had he questioned his recreational drug use?

Not enough perhaps?

Tonights drama would not be fixed easily, but served as a reminder of choices which would be considered unwise.
I'll give up tomorrow he reassured himself, again.

...a new beginning can come in many shapes and sizes Wink
onebadpenny
sounds like fun. exactly 100 words.
hmmm.. A new beginning
Suddenly I have a dozen different ideas for quick stories.

Ok, I'm in. Back in awhile Very Happy
watersoul
Excellent, I love to read the many different ideas we all have for a set title.
Remember you can submit as many entries as may pop into your head, creative writing is fun for the readers as well! Wink
sonam
Here is my entry. Don't be too critic. Razz

I am seating here, day by day, with no excuse. So many years, can you believe me? Whiskey, bear, cigars, everything for what? For nothing!

Today is my last day here. I know you don't believe me, but you will see, or better you will not see me tomorrow. Leaving, I don't want to come here anymore.

Why? I don't want to see her face anymore. Yes, I am little bit drunk now and you think I will change my mind tomorrow. OK, we will see.

F*** her! How she can tell me "No more drinks if you haven’t money".
watersoul
Ooh Sonam, I thought mine was dark and tragic but you've really pictured a wretched life of alcoholism with the sadness we see all too often in life. It actually reminds me perfectly of a guy I know who has basically wasted his life through drinking.

As I said, it's dark, but I like it a lot. Well done, and if you have any more inspiration feel free to enter another, there is no limit Smile
watersoul
This one is a true story of a new beginning in my life:

I can feel the tears flowing down my cheeks, who cares, I'm not making any effort to stop them.
All the love in my heart goes to this amazing woman right now, so much pain, so much strength, I'm not sure I could have gone through it myself.

So many emotions, absolute love, complete joy, life will never be the same again.
I'm in her debt until the day I die, never able to pay her back for this best gift ever.

Tiny fingers, tiny toes, beautiful trusting blue eyes. Our newborn son.
Again the tears flow down my cheeks.
sonam
watersoul wrote:
This one is a true story of a new beginning in my life:

I can feel the tears flowing down my cheeks, who cares, I'm not making any effort to stop them.
All the love in my heart goes to this amazing woman right now, so much pain, so much strength, I'm not sure I could have gone through it myself.

So many emotions, absolute love, complete joy, life will never be the same again.
I'm in her debt until the day I die, never able to pay her back for this best gift ever.

Tiny fingers, tiny toes, beautiful trusting blue eyes. Our newborn son.
Again the tears flow down my cheeks.

Very nice, I like it very much.

Sonam
sonam
watersoul wrote:
Ooh Sonam, I thought mine was dark and tragic but you've really pictured a wretched life of alcoholism with the sadness we see all too often in life. It actually reminds me perfectly of a guy I know who has basically wasted his life through drinking.

As I said, it's dark, but I like it a lot. Well done, and if you have any more inspiration feel free to enter another, there is no limit Smile

He, he, maybe is too realistic because it is real story from my past life and real beginning of my change.
Laughing

Sonam
watersoul
sonam wrote:
Very nice, I like it very much.
Thanks fella, if I had a better grasp of the English language it would more accurately portray my emotions that day. Was my best attempt but will never be good enough Smile

Quote:
He, he, maybe is too realistic because it is real story from my past life and real beginning of my change.
Laughing
Ah, I thought there might be a first-hand knowledge behind that story, thanks for sharing it.
My entry in the 100 word "End of the world" contest set by Nameless a couple of years ago was also a reflection of personal experience in my life:
Quote:
The empty beer cans stared back at him conspiratorially

Even in their crushed and discarded state on the carpet, they retained a judgemental reflection of the slowly brightening morning light, reminding him, again, that he’d messed up...again.

“I guess the sky wasn’t falling in after all” he slurred aloud, with an image of Henny Penny in his mind.
It almost forced a smile...almost, but the world was still there, and now it was mocking him by its existence.

The cans remained silent

Keep them coming folks, I totally love reading other peoples interpretations of "A new beginning"
william
Hmm, I actually have an idea for this one. Twisted Evil Let's see if I can write it by the deadline.

Thanks for the contest!
watersoul
william wrote:
Hmm, I actually have an idea for this one. Twisted Evil Let's see if I can write it by the deadline.
I look forward to it, remember you can enter as many as you want before the closing date as well. I love the different ideas we all have inside us Smile
twotrophy
Thank you for creating this contest. I guess that having to write exactly 100 words would cause the quality of writing to go down as writing 100 words is more of priority as it is required to even enter than to have good grammar and vocabulary which is not needed to enter the contest although you would probably lose. It is generous of you to offer so many coins.
Bluedoll
// ->

As the train pulled quietly out of the station there was little Peterson could do except look out the railroad car window and watch the slow progression on the platform. People with unlike faces appeared in his vision and were set in motion like moving picture frames. They reminded him of his ending.

“I am sorry”, he said to himself.

He said it softly, apologising to all that he might have hurt and in that instant other words resounded in his head. Those words made everything so clear by his one final single utterance. His thoughts were I forgive you.

<-
deanhills
"This is simply not allowed", splutters Evil Daddy aloud. "Bondings, dammit, you promised us a Games Forum last year, AND the year before .... I've been waiting and waiting for our game to appear". Evil Daddy bangs the table with the flat of his hand, sending Bondings' fish tank rattling. Then throws himself on the floor wailing out loudly. The ever kind and generous Bondings makes his appearance. Gently picks up Evil Daddy and rocks him in his arms, "Now now Evil Daddy, all of it in good time buddy. I definitely have plans for a grand new beginning this summer…."
manfer
As Peter entered his class he could not help noticing two of his students. Swimming champion John, tall and slender, was mocking at Oscar, a shy and chubby classmate.

John: greasy, how many burgers today??? You pig!!!
Peter: John, what are you doing!!!. Let's see if you learn well a little respect and good manners at the end of classes.
John: But professor you are breaking my right to freedom of speech!!!

Peter was speechless. John was right. From that very moment on school flies the flag of freedom of speech.

A new beginning or the beginning of the end!!!
watersoul
twotrophy wrote:
Thank you for creating this contest. I guess that having to write exactly 100 words would cause the quality of writing to go down as writing 100 words is more of priority
It does make it a little more difficult, I agree, but it can be a very useful exercise in finding different ways to phrase a message within a set number of words. If an entry is from someone who uses English as a second language I'm not going to be a grammar cop too much if I can clearly understand it (I'm no scholar of English myself), but I will offer friendly advice if it is just a grammar issue needed to make me like it more though.
Feel free to have a go, the prize is going up every day, and although only one can win, I do enjoy reading the different perspectives in each entry Smile

Bluedoll wrote:
As the train pulled quietly out of the station there was little Peterson could do except look out the railroad car window and watch the slow progression on the platform. People with unlike faces appeared in his vision and were set in motion like moving picture frames. They reminded him of his ending.

“I am sorry”, he said to himself.

He said it softly, apologising to all that he might have hurt and in that instant other words resounded in his head. Those words made everything so clear by his one final single utterance. His thoughts were I forgive you.
I like this, another entry tinged with some sadness, although hopeful. I'm imagining some guy who's 'running away', perhaps a broken relationship, or some unhappy incidents in a social circle he no longer feels wanted in? Interesting.

deanhills wrote:
"This is simply not allowed", splutters Evil Daddy aloud. "Bondings, dammit, you promised us a Games Forum last year, AND the year before .... I've been waiting and waiting for our game to appear". Evil Daddy bangs the table with the flat of his hand, sending Bondings' fish tank rattling. Then throws himself on the floor wailing out loudly. The ever kind and generous Bondings makes his appearance. Gently picks up Evil Daddy and rocks him in his arms, "Now now Evil Daddy, all of it in good time. I definitely have plans for a grand new beginning this summer…."
This made me chuckle. A very good humourous story with a Frihost twist. I like it and your unusual idea.
Need another word somewhere though, sorry, it's only 99 because I won't accept "..." as a word Razz

manfer wrote:
As Peter entered his class he could not help noticing two of his students. Swimming champion John, tall and slender, was mocking at Oscar, a shy and chubby classmate.

Peter: John, what are you doing!!!. Let's see if you learn well a little respect and good manners at the end of classes.

Peter was speechless. John was right. From that very moment on school flies the flag of freedom of speech.

This is an interesting perspective with an unexpected political message at the end. I like the idea and think I would be more drawn into it if the script style use of names could be replaced with more story telling type words.
Good entry though, made me think.

Thanks for all the interesting entries so far folks, and please add to the topic if you have an idea for the title, I'm enjoying reading them, and there is no limit to the number of entries per person.
Feel free to edit your entries as well but please re-submit them as a new reply each time,with a short note to explain if you do Smile
deanhills
Thanks Watersoul. Have added one word. Very Happy
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
Thanks Watersoul. Have added one word. Very Happy
Cool, just counted with my finger to be sure, valid entry.
deanhills wrote:
"This is simply not allowed", splutters Evil Daddy aloud. "Bondings, dammit, you promised us a Games Forum last year, AND the year before .... I've been waiting and waiting for our game to appear". Evil Daddy bangs the table with the flat of his hand, sending Bondings' fish tank rattling. Then throws himself on the floor wailing out loudly. The ever kind and generous Bondings makes his appearance. Gently picks up Evil Daddy and rocks him in his arms, "Now now Evil Daddy, all of it in good time buddy. I definitely have plans for a grand new beginning this summer…."

Good luck, and feel free to enter more if you get hit with inspiration for another idea Wink
ocalhoun
Well, I might take a stab at it... I've built up a bit of a talent for writing recently, though I'm far more familiar with stories stretching between 6,000 and 100,000 words. Something this incredibly short will take some adjusting to.

Still, might be worth it as an exercise... trying to fit something that could be called a complete story within a paltry 100 words.
Or does it need to be a full story, complete with beginning, middle, and end? Could it just be a snippet, as if it were a section of a larger story? Now that I could have fun with.

*oh, the wheels are turning*
*off to write outline*
*writing*
*rough draft at 127 words and falling (originally 155)*
Damn, writing a 'story' this short is hard.
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, I might take a stab at it... I've built up a bit of a talent for writing recently, though I'm far more familiar with stories stretching between 6,000 and 100,000 words. Something this incredibly short will take some adjusting to.

Still, might be worth it as an exercise... trying to fit something that could be called a complete story within a paltry 100 words.
Or does it need to be a full story, complete with beginning, middle, and end? Could it just be a snippet, as if it were a section of a larger story? Now that I could have fun with.

*off to write outline*
An intensive snippet is equally interesting to me, it just has to be 100 words where I can see a clear link to 'A new beginning' without need of an explanation.
I look forward to your contribution Smile
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

*off to write outline*
An intensive snippet is equally interesting to me, it just has to be 100 words where I can see a clear link to 'A new beginning' without need of an explanation.
I look forward to your contribution Smile

Oh, and here I am making a (more or less) complete entry.
Perhaps I'll put up another one that's a snippet of one of my larger stores...

*105 words and falling*
*100 words*

And here's my (first) submission.

A New Beginning
Quote:

Stumbling up the creaky steps, Conrow exhaled deeply, mustering energy to turn the doorknob. The door squeaked... as always.

There you are. About time.” Tracey didn't turn to look. She just kept staring at her reality show. “Third time this week.”

“Honey, I–”

Now she did turn. “Don't even start with–”

“I–”

“Just shut up. Our date is off!”

“Tracey, It's because I had to stop for this!” He produced the box hiding in his pocket.

The moment she looked, the rage in her eyes withered. Conrow saw tears trying to escape. “Connie, ...is that?”

“Tracey Lucas, will you–”

Yes!

Thought I'd take a crack at writing a 100 word romance. ^.^

...and I must say myself... I'm impressed how much setting, character development, and emotional plot I was able to fit into a mere 100 words.
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:

A New Beginning
Quote:

Stumbling up the creaky steps, Conrow exhaled deeply, mustering energy to turn the doorknob. The door squeaked... as always.

There you are. About time.” Tracey didn't turn to look. She just kept staring at her reality show. “Third time this week.”

“Honey, I–”

Now she did turn. “Don't even start with–”

“I–”

“Just shut up. Our date is off!”

“Tracey, It's because I had to stop for this!” He produced the box hiding in his pocket.

The moment she looked, the rage in her eyes withered. Conrow saw tears trying to escape. “Connie, ...is that?”

“Tracey Lucas, will you–”

Yes!

Thought I'd take a crack at writing a 100 word romance. ^.^

...and I must say myself... I'm impressed how much setting, character development, and emotional plot I was able to fit into a mere 100 words.
Ah, liking this a lot, first romance in the contest and I agree, very well fitted into 100 words. Valid and competent entry, looking forward to more of the same Smile
TheGremlyn
I think I might enjoy this *cracks fingers*

-------

I was born to my parents, the youngest of three. I learned to walk and talk and I even tried my hand at finger painting.
As I grew older I started school and worked my way through grades 1 to 8, 9 to 12 and 12 again. I met my next challenge, one my parents had been told never to expect; I went to college.
Two years and I emerged with a diploma in one hand and an award in another. Another three years passed and my mom watched me walk across the stage for another and smiled to herself.

-------
codegeek
I think I might participate. Isn't 100 words a bit less though? I guess that's the challenge!
watersoul
TheGremlyn wrote:
I was born to my parents, the youngest of three. I learned to walk and talk and I even tried my hand at finger painting.
As I grew older I started school and worked my way through grades 1 to 8, 9 to 12 and 12 again. I met my next challenge, one my parents had been told never to expect; I went to college.
Two years and I emerged with a diploma in one hand and an award in another. Another three years passed and my mom watched me walk across the stage for another and smiled to herself.
I Like this. A different and unexpected style again, but I am drawn to the opinion that it is based on some truth which helps make it a nice entry meeting all the criteria of a new beginning in 100 words.

codegeek wrote:
I think I might participate. Isn't 100 words a bit less though? I guess that's the challenge!
Of course that's the challenge Smile I look forward to your contribution.
watersoul
Blatant bump of a topic Wink

The 100 word story winner will win over 100 coins now and the prize is still rising! (See OP for details)
Less than 8 days to get your entries in if you want a chance of winning the sack of gold, so get your get your thinking caps on if you fancy getting your digital hands on it.

I've enjoyed everything I've read so far for various reasons, but it's always good to see as many unique writing styles and ideas may be out there in Frihost world Smile
watersoul
Another blatant bump of this topic Wink

Just 3 days left to win over 100 coins for 100 words!
I've already got a winner in my head from the contributions so far, but if you have a burning 100 word entry along the lines of "A new beginning" then share it here for a chance of winning.

Closing date is whenever I post "The end" before crashing out to bed on Tuesday.
I hope to see a few more entries before the 30th. It is the different ideas which I like most so please do post yours here, I look forward to reading them Smile
mathiaus
Don't have the time right now, but want to let you know that I intend over the next couple of days to enter.

Nice to see our members coming up with, and running these contests. At the same time, I like the one's where the task is to write, especially when kept shorter. Good job Very Happy
manfer
manfer wrote:

When Peter joined the classroom he couldn't help noticing two of his students. Swimming champion John, tall and slender, was mocking at Oscar, a shy and chubby classmate, "greasy, how many burgers today? You pig!".

Peter pulled John aside, "what are you doing? Let's see if you learn well a little respect and good manners at the end of classes".

"But... you are breaking my right to freedom of speech!", John objected.

A new beginning or the beginning of the end!
manfer
I'm not very good at writing but, here is other one

-----------------------------------------
"Why I'm running?", thinks Peter.

He's frightened but he doesn't know why.

"What's happening? I had always been faster than John".

Peter falls and lost a shoe.

The beach is deserted. He stands up and looks for his shoe but he can't find it.

"John, wait for me!". John has always looked after Peter, his younger brother, but today he continues running.

Peter can't reach John so he sits on the burning sand looking at the waves breaking on the shore.

A phone sounds louder and louder and wakes Peter up from his dream, "Who is it?"

"Sorry, your brother..."
-----------------------------------------
zimmer
your idea is nice. that might be good for some users which are good in article or editors for sure they can contribute more.
watersoul
manfer wrote:
I'm not very good at writing but, here is other one
Your English is better than my Spanish so don't put yourself down. Good effort.
I like both your contributions, the second one has a potentially tragic tone to it's new beginning which I didn't expect.
As I said, if English is not a first language then I am taking it into account so no-one should be too concerned if grammar is a struggle. I am also happy to make any suggestions after the closing date if anyone would like me to. I'm no scholar of English, but I can offer some basic hints.

...you certainly have a chance of winning manfer, interesting ideas Smile
watersoul
Last chance today, all entries must be submitted before I crash out to bed in about 15 hours time from now! Wink
ocalhoun
manfer wrote:

When Peter joined the classroom he couldn't help noticing two of his students. Swimming champion John, tall and slender, was mocking at Oscar, a shy and chubby classmate, "greasy, how many burgers today? You pig!".

Peter pulled John aside, "what are you doing? Let's see if you learn well a little respect and good manners at the end of classes".

Um... okay, I can't stop myself this time.

Writing tips 101:
It is not necessary, or advisable, to italicize character names or dialog.
Italics are only for:
1: Interior monolog - a character's thougts
2: Conveying emphasis on a certain word in dialog
3: Quoting short bits of text within dialog
4: (to be used extremely rarely, or not at all) Conveying emphasis on a certain word in narration
...and at all times, italics should be used sparingly.

Writing tips 203:
Punctuating the end of dialog.
The ending quotation mark always goes last.
If the same sentence continues after the dialog ends, the the dialog ends with a comma:
"A bit of dialog," she said.
If the sentence does not continue, it ends with a period or exclamation point or question mark:
"A bit of dialog."
"A bit of dialog?"
"A bit of dialog!"
If the sentence continues after dialog and you need to use a question mark or exclamation point, you can put that punctuation in place of the comma:
"A bit of dialog?" she said.
If the character is interrupted or stopped before they finish speaking, use a dash:
"A bit of--"
If the character trails off and stops speaking gradually, use ellipses:
"A bit of..."
And perhaps the trickiest, if the dialog from a single character continues across multiple paragraphs, as in a long speech, do not put any closing quotation mark on the first paragraph, but still put the opening quotation mark on the next:
Quote:

"A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog.

"A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog. A bit of dialog."

...and that's my contribution of the day towards making the world a better place.
watersoul
Haha, nice one ocalhoun, we can pick it all to pieces over the next few days, but for now...

"The End."

No more entries accepted in this contest after this post Smile
manfer
manfer wrote:
manfer wrote:

English punctuation is mostly out of my knowledge so I don't know if this sorts out all those issues

-----------------------------------------------------
When Peter joined the classroom he couldn't help noticing two of his students. Swimming champion John, tall and slender, was mocking at Oscar, a shy and chubby classmate, "greasy, how many burgers today? You pig!"

Peter pulled John aside, "what are you doing? Let's see if you learn well a little respect and good manners at the end of classes."

"But... you are breaking my right to freedom of speech!" John objected.

ocalhoun
manfer wrote:

English punctuation is mostly out of my knowledge so I don't know if this sorts out all those issues

It sorts out all the issues I pointed out. ^.^ There are more, of course, but I don't want to be a grammar nazi when nobody asked me to.

(And is that how things are punctuated in Spanish? Italics for names and dialog? Huh...)
manfer
ocalhoun wrote:

(And is that how things are punctuated in Spanish? Italics for names and dialog? Huh...)

I was not taking into account any writing rule when I added the italics and the larger fontsize on the last sentence. The only intention was to beautify the text in appareance for this forum because I don't like very much how the typography looks like.
codegeek
Whoops! Completely forgot about this. A shame, especially because there were so many bump posts. Well, next time around I'm definitely going to have something.

This may no longer be necessary, but here's a simple C++ program to count the number of words in a given text. Just remove all the quotation marks in the text using find and replace, remove the Your text here. bit, and put your text within those quotations. It's not a great program or anything, but might prove useful in this context.

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int counter = 1;
    char str[1000] = "Your text here.";

for (int i = 0; str[i] != '\0'; i++)
    {
        if (str[i] == ' ')
            counter++;
    }

cout << "Number of words = " << counter << endl;

return 0;
}

It uses spaces to count the number of words. So, you do have to format the text a bit, removing the extra spaces and line breaks, and adding spaces after every period, if there is no space there. But, the formatting shouldn't take over a minute for a 100 word story. Very Happy
manfer
Good effort codegeek but it would be too much effort to compile the program anytime you want to count the words.

You have already online tools that do great job -for english text- and that take into account many more details to try to do the most accurate count. On the online tool I'm using all of these will finish in a 4 words output not 5 nor 6.

This is a , test
This is a " test "
This is a test .

I'm using http://www.wordcounter.net/ that counts characters, words, sentences and paragraphs. And it even gives you the average number of words on sentences and word density -shows you which are the most used words-. And all the count is done on the browser with javascript so no worry about privacy if for some reason is a concern as they don't send the text to the server.

As said it is for english text as it will totally fail on languages with accents or that has any character out of the set [a-zA-Z0-9'-] like spanish, portuguese, deutsch or french for example that has characters with accents.
codegeek
That's a useful site. Thanks for the link!
ocalhoun
codegeek wrote:
That's a useful site. Thanks for the link!

Yes, not only are there online options already available, but every major word processing program will also have a word count function built into it.

No need to reinvent the wheel here.
sonam
I think it will be good if watersoul use only one system for checking number of words (for example this one what manfer suggest and what is online and useful for all members). In that case no one can say I am using Word, OpenWord, or some other program where is counted 100 words and you are count 101, 99.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
I think it will be good if watersoul use only one system for checking number of words (for example this one what manfer suggest and what is online and useful for all members). In that case no one can say I am using Word, OpenWord, or some other program where is counted 100 words and you are count 101, 99.

Sonam
I think Watersoul must have been counting the words of every entry as they were being submitted. For example, he suggested I should add a word. So I don't think any of us have to be worried about which system we used. If the end result had been wrong, he'd probably have warned us.
TheGremlyn
I know I used MS Word to keep track of the number of words I was using. I was actually kind of shocked at how little you could say in 100 words. I mean, I don't tell short stories, even when I talk. I need details! I remember being in public school and high school and wondering how I'd ever right a 500 'essay' or something silly like that.
sonam
deanhills wrote:
I think Watersoul must have been counting the words of every entry as they were being submitted. For example, he suggested I should add a word. So I don't think any of us have to be worried about which system we used. If the end result had been wrong, he'd probably have warned us.

Ah, I am missing this small part of topic. In that case this is great help from Watersoul. Very Happy

Sonam
ocalhoun
TheGremlyn wrote:
I know I used MS Word to keep track of the number of words I was using. I was actually kind of shocked at how little you could say in 100 words. I mean, I don't tell short stories, even when I talk. I need details! I remember being in public school and high school and wondering how I'd ever right a 500 'essay' or something silly like that.

As someone who does write, I was expecting it to be difficult. ^.^
I've written something 1000 times as long before, and still felt rushed and unable to put in as much detail as I'd have liked to. The one I'm working on now, though it's not finished yet so I can't get a real count, I expect to come out around 50,000 to 75,000 words.

I will say, though, that doing this short challenge has helped me develop a bit... helped me improve strategies for keeping dialog and narration extremely short and to the point without telling instead of showing.
--thanks for the practice! ^.^
watersoul
I hope everyone found a small amount of enjoyment from this contest but a winner has to be chosen and I've gone for this:
sonam wrote:
I am seating here, day by day, with no excuse. So many years, can you believe me? Whiskey, bear, cigars, everything for what? For nothing!

Today is my last day here. I know you don't believe me, but you will see, or better you will not see me tomorrow. Leaving, I don't want to come here anymore.

Why? I don't want to see her face anymore. Yes, I am little bit drunk now and you think I will change my mind tomorrow. OK, we will see.

F*** her! How she can tell me "No more drinks if you haven’t money".

The grammar obviously isn't perfect, or the spelling, but the content hit me as original, emotive and deeply questioning with regard to human error and lifestyle choices. I also imagined it being spoken to me by non-native English speakers I've met from my times travelling around the world and I really felt it as much as I read the words, so for that reason sonam, you get the coins Smile

Thanks for all the entries, I enjoyed reading every one. As I said at the start this wasn't an English language exercise as such, more a search for ideas. All the ideas I have read here were interesting, and again, I'm grateful for the contributions.

126.12 coins on their way to sonam now, but when I build a few more up again I'll arrange another contest along similar lines. Hopefully we'll get a few more entries next time Smile
deanhills
Congratulations Sonam ... and well done! Applause

Kudos to you for not being a Grammar Nazi Watersoul. Thanks for the opportunity to participate. Cool
sonam
I am shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks watersoul for donation and, like deanhills wrote, for not being a Grammar Nazi. I will donate 100 coins for next contest just start new one. Wink

Sonam
ocalhoun
sonam wrote:
I will donate 100 coins for next contest just start new one. Wink

Hm... what if someone else starts a new one?
sonam
ocalhoun wrote:
sonam wrote:
I will donate 100 coins for next contest just start new one. Wink

Hm... what if someone else starts a new one?

Opsss, I was think watersoul will give new subject and end of contest time to continue with it.

Sonam
watersoul
Hi guys, sorry but I've been busy involved building a site for a local sports team and I'm kind of immersed in that in my mind at the moment. As a result, no inspiration for any story ideas or story writing right now.

If anyone else has an idea then I'll probably be willing to donate coins for the prize as well, but right now I'm unreliable with my input at Frihost so can't commit.