FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mali will be giving away domain names for free

twotrophy
From:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/10/mali_gives_away_dotml_domains/
Quote:
African nation Mali will give away domains in its .ML digital demesne for nothing.

The giveaway starts in May, when Freedom Registry will open the floodgates, a term we use because “There will be no restrictions to registrations of free domains and anyone can claim its own .ML domain,” according to Freedom Registry's press release (PDF).

Mali has made its domain available to all because according to Moussa Dolo, General Manager of AGETIC (Mali's Agence des technologies de l’information et de la communication, aka Ministry of Communications) “By providing free domain names to internet users worldwide we will put Mali back on the map. We wish to show the rest of the world the fantastic opportunities our country has to offer.”

Good news: Mali will be giving away its domain names for free just like .tk domain names. The .ml domain will become the 2nd domain extension that will be given out for free after .tk. I hope that the .ml domain would be much more reliable than the .tk domain. In my opinion, although this would benefit many Internet users as they do not have to pay any money for such domains, I think that Mali should still charge people but for a lower price in order to promote their domain which promotes their country as they would be able to earn revenue for their country. For example, if 5000 domains are registered each month each costing $6, the country would be able to earn $30000. What do you think of this issue?
likeabreeze
Good news, indeed.
But for those who take websites really seriously, free domains should never be a good choice.
That's because a FREE domain makes your website look less professional.
And once that free domain is used by malware, the domain name gonna be flagged by most anti-virus softwares.
codegeek
That's great news. I have some ideas for great domains. Hope no one grabs them first!
Nyasro
wow, fantastic. i think i go to try that domain.
RosenCruz
How will we register these? I might use some Laughing
likeabreeze
RosenCruz wrote:

Go check out Dot ML - Mali
And you'd notice that it says "ML domains will be available for registration starting May 1st, 2013.".
So, be prepared if you really wanna some popular domain name..
cybersa
Thanks for your information.

Really this will help the people who need short domain name for free.
Because already co.cc is stopped and .tk was marked as Spam.
RosenCruz
likeabreeze wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

Go check out Dot ML - Mali
And you'd notice that it says "ML domains will be available for registration starting May 1st, 2013.".
So, be prepared if you really wanna some popular domain name..

Thanks for the information man. I will need some creative and smart ideas Laughing
twotrophy
cybersa wrote:

.ml domains may become like .tk after some time. I hope that .ml would not require personal information. But if it does, I can always fake my information. It would be good if someone creates a popular alternative DNS root just like OpenNIC such that no personal information is required.
sonam
twotrophy wrote:
cybersa wrote:

.ml domains may become like .tk after some time. I hope that .ml would not require personal information. But if it does, I can always fake my information. It would be good if someone creates a popular alternative DNS root just like OpenNIC such that no personal information is required.

I hope .ml will not go in .tk way and get SPAM mark but I think it will be really heavy to get good short domain name.

@offtopic (sorry admins I must ask)
I really don't understand why to fake info if you don't use domain in something illegal or if you haven't 18. This time is globalization time and every day are less and less space for hiding your info from others. Isn't it?

Sonam
twotrophy
sonam wrote:
twotrophy wrote:
cybersa wrote:

I hope .ml will not go in .tk way and get SPAM mark but I think it will be really heavy to get good short domain name.

@offtopic (sorry admins I must ask)
I really don't understand why to fake info if you don't use domain in something illegal or if you haven't 18. This time is globalization time and every day are less and less space for hiding your info from others. Isn't it?

Sonam

Maybe I have to adapt to the changes of the Internet where there is less space for privacy. Several years ago, people thought that giving out your personal information was dangerous. As of today, Facebook is proof that giving out your full name can be safe sometimes. By the way, I am under 18 but I won't be giving my specific age at the moment for privacy reasons. I guess that I am too secretive.
sonam
twotrophy wrote:

Maybe I have to adapt to the changes of the Internet where there is less space for privacy. Several years ago, people thought that giving out your personal information was dangerous. As of today, Facebook is proof that giving out your full name can be safe sometimes. By the way, I am under 18 but I won't be giving my specific age at the moment for privacy reasons. I guess that I am too secretive.

Thanks. I understand you if you are under 18. Few years ago I am thinking in same way but now I don't care who will see my real name, address, job, etc.

Sonam
75alex
Wow thanks for the advice, really interesting Smile If my .tk domain turns out to be a scam i will definitely register one there Smile
RoylanM
.tk domains are not bad but people just abuse them, I hope I can get a .ml domain.
dude_xyx
Hmm I check the site and this is what it says

Code:

Welcome to the Dot ML and Dot CF Sunrise Period

Freenom is happy to announce the Sunrise Period of Dot ML and Dot CF. During the Sunrise Period Dot ML and Dot CF domains can be pre-registered, if equivalent trademarks are registered with one of the supported trademark agencies.

Pre-registered domain names in the Sunrise period are not accepted on a first come first serve basis, but are accumulated during the entire Sunrise period. The Sunrise Period ends on May 31st 2013 at 23:59 UTC. For each pre-registration the following information is required:

So within Sunrise periods a Domain cost 198 USD (That was the checkout price) So I hope these will be free after the Sunrise period which ends on 31th of May.
stanloplato
This will be a great development plan for citizens of mali. It is a great idea it should be free for now and maybe they can put a prize tag later when it is widely use and becomes popular.
sonam
dude_xyx wrote:
Hmm I check the site and this is what it says

Code:

Welcome to the Dot ML and Dot CF Sunrise Period

Freenom is happy to announce the Sunrise Period of Dot ML and Dot CF. During the Sunrise Period Dot ML and Dot CF domains can be pre-registered, if equivalent trademarks are registered with one of the supported trademark agencies.

Pre-registered domain names in the Sunrise period are not accepted on a first come first serve basis, but are accumulated during the entire Sunrise period. The Sunrise Period ends on May 31st 2013 at 23:59 UTC. For each pre-registration the following information is required:

So within Sunrise periods a Domain cost 198 USD (That was the checkout price) So I hope these will be free after the Sunrise period which ends on 31th of May.

You don't read FAQ. Very Happy
http://www.dot.ml/en/faq.html

Quote:
Sunrise (1st May - 31st May): Trademark domains are available for purchase by trademark owners.
Landrush (1st June - 14th July) : ML domains can be purchased by anyone on a "first come, first served" basis.
General Availability (15th July): ML domains are available for free registration.

Sonam
dude_xyx
Yeah I didn't notice that. I just went to that link. I hope it would help locals and wouldn't spam to death. Governing body better have good control or it will become another .tk.