FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

spellchecker

nickfyoung
Is anyone like me and a terrible speller and rely on the spell check function to create a readable post.

Has anyone had problems with the spellchecker on here. I find that in many instances it is very inadequate and doesn't list the word you want and in some cases even lists a word not even remotely like what you want. I find I have to keep changing my word until it finds the one I am after and in some instances I have had to go to Google to get the correct spelling.

Being a bad speller I have to use many spell checkers on many sites and this one here is the least effective. Maybe it is just short on vocabulary.
Vanilla
What browser are you using? I tend to rely on Opera's spell checker, but I know Chrome's and Firefox's spell checker are pretty decent too. Also you have the option to add a new word when you can't find it (and you're positively sure that tis the right word). Smile
Ankhanu
nickfyoung wrote:
Has anyone had problems with the spellchecker on here. I find that in many instances it is very inadequate and doesn't list the word you want and in some cases even lists a word not even remotely like what you want. I find I have to keep changing my word until it finds the one I am after and in some instances I have had to go to Google to get the correct spelling.

Being a bad speller I have to use many spell checkers on many sites and this one here is the least effective. Maybe it is just short on vocabulary.

The spellcheck feature isn't based on the site you're using, it's a function of your web browser. If you're finding it inadequate on Frihost, but adequate elsewhere, I'm not sure what to tell you, 'cause it's the same service Wink
watersoul
Call me old fashioned but I have a 5 inch thick Webster dictionary next to my laptop and if I'm ever unsure I just turn a few old-school pages.
deanhills
Nick, what browser are you using? As I know Internet Explorer doesn't have a spell checker (at least up to IE8 which is what I'm still on with Windows XP), however you can download a spellchecker if you prefer to use IE. I use Mozilla Firefox, and that comes with a good spell checker. Don't know what I'd do without a spell checker as particularly when I'm tired I make plenty of typos.

@Watersoul. That sounds neat - having an old fashioned dictionary on hand. I haven't seen one in ages. I mostly Google words and use dictionary.com.
nickfyoung
I am using Firefox here. So is it a Firefox spell checker. Just seems really bad on here. Maybe I don't use it much anywhere else.
rx9876
nickfyoung wrote:
I am using Firefox here. So is it a Firefox spell checker. Just seems really bad on here. Maybe I don't use it much anywhere else.

When using Firefox, you could enable the spell checking function by this way.

options -> advanced -> Browsing -> Check my spelling as I type
Peterssidan
Make sure you have the correct English dictionary installed. If you use UK spelling you should probably not use the US dictionary and vice versa.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
That sounds neat - having an old fashioned dictionary on hand. I haven't seen one in ages. I mostly Google words and use dictionary.com.

Haha, I know, it's so old fashioned in our tech intensive world, but I also know that it is accurate with no US spellings inside, plus the very act of having to pick the heavy thing up and flick through the pages encourages me to remember the correct spelling in future.
onebadpenny
watersoul wrote:
...but I also know that it is accurate with no US spellings inside,

Hey now.. What's wrong with US spellings? We know how to spell. Some of us. OK, me, I know how to spell Razz
watersoul
onebadpenny wrote:
watersoul wrote:
...but I also know that it is accurate with no US spellings inside,

Hey now.. What's wrong with US spellings? We know how to spell. Some of us. OK, me, I know how to spell Razz

Haha! Accurate in the sense that any letters or emails I send in the UK will use UK spelling.
My favourite US Englsh word (and funniest) is Aluminum when the internationally recognised spelling is Aluminium, as set by IUPAC.
The US is the only country in the world which uses this spelling and pronunciation for that element. Razz
Ankhanu
Most Canadians do too.
watersoul
Ankhanu wrote:
Most Canadians do too.

I stand corrected after checking, it appears that the Canadian Oxford Dictionary uses Aluminum as well.
I guess that's 2 countries verses the rest of the world Laughing
standready
watersoul wrote:
Call me old fashioned but I have a 5 inch thick Webster dictionary next to my laptop and if I'm ever unsure I just turn a few old-school pages.

I have an old school dictionary handy as well but Google's Chrome always tags my typos.

Remember asking "How do you spell _____?" "Go look it up in the dictionary!" How can find ______ in the dictionary if I can't spell it? Laughing Rolling Eyes
watersoul
standready wrote:
Remember asking "How do you spell _____?" "Go look it up in the dictionary!" How can find ______ in the dictionary if I can't spell it? Laughing Rolling Eyes
I remember asking that as well, thats a funny memory I'd forgotten about! Laughing