FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Stop the free domain offer or make it more difficult?





watersoul
I've enjoyed being a member of Frihost over the years, and being involved in many of the discussions in the forums.
The requirement of decent regular posts for free hosting is totally understandable and a very good incentive for people to return and continue to contribute to debates here, to avoid negative points and hosting suspension, but the free domain does not offer such an incentive after the coupon/voucher has been provided. Anyone who has reached the 350 coin figure is free to disappear without any reason to return. Cut and run if you like.

It could easily be argued that someone could join and just make a few hundred lame 1/2/3 line posts to gain the coins then apply for the domain and basically 'do one' after they've got it.
I'm regularly disappointed with the lack of debate here compared to other forums I contribute to, and I wonder if some members are really just here for the coins. It would certainly explain the difference in posting styles to other places I frequent.

If Frihost was my site and I was relying solely on the ad revenue to fund the server space etc, I would not want to be issuing domain vouchers to any people who I suspected were here solely for the domain. I would want people who contribute to the forum community with interesting and thought out posts, while enjoying an actual conversation with other members. If members are not interested in the effort of anything more than one or two lame lines just for points then I wouldn't be opening my wallet to provide them with a free domain.

That said, ,my suggestion would be to either ditch the free domain offer completely (which I would because the free hosting is a pretty damn good offer in itself), or make it such that any coins (or part thereof) are only awarded for 5 point posts.
I think this would improve conversation and weed out the lame one/two liners which in my opinion appear to be solely in search of a domain and not for the benefit of the forum community.

For the record, I'm not even here for the hosting these days as I use a paid site. My thoughts are related solely to community conversation.
deanhills
I would agree if we had plenty of other activities and incentives ongoing Watersoul, but a free domain is pretty much the only incentive other than the obligatory posts for Web hosting of course. I don't think there are that many members who ask for free domains and I haven't seen them running either after they received their domains. There are some who have used their coins to renew their domains as well. Bondings would probably know better, but as far as I can see the majority going for domains are regular posters. And I guess one has to become regular of sorts in order to earn 350 coins as for your average poster vs posters like us who find it much more easy to make posts, making enough posts to earn 350 coins is quite an achievement.

Having said that, it would be nice if the competitions for free domains could be revived as that was pretty neat and generated a special kind of value added activity. Last competition we had was two years ago. But for someone like Bondings who doesn't seem to have much time available maybe free domains for extra posts is easier to implement.
truespeed
Earning 350 coins for a new member is really difficult,you only start earning at the 45 point mark,and from then on it takes at least a couple of months to get the required coins to earn a domain,so it is anything but easy.

I think those who apply for domains are also the ones who are more likely to hang around,as they have a website,which also needs hosting,they only keep their hosting by making sure their points are positive.

I don't think removing the domain requests would improve debate on the forums as most posters would still be posting for hosting and you will still get those who solely post for points and who have no interest in genuine debate or interaction.

I don't know how debate could be improved on these forums,the only place where real debate happens is P&R. Possibly if Bondings made more use of the featured topics,with "hot topics" being featured,that would probably help,but the featured topics has only ever really been used for site announcements,so it has always been a kind of wasted feature.
rx9876
IMHO, the best way to increase the post count is to set specific topics.
It's just like the old saying goes, "Birds of a feather flock together."
There are many forums on the world.
People want to discuss a topic, they will tend to find a forum developed for that category.

First, picks a specific topic and gathers some professional / enthusiastic people to make the forums active.
Senond, expends the number of professional topics.
manfer
deanhills wrote:
...350 coins is quite an achievement.

If you don't take into account the possible movement of coins from account to account, so the system is easily exploitable.

But that doesn't seems to me the problem for lack of debate. Most people doesn't will to debate anything. On these days there is a culture of minimal effort and there is very little people that make any effort on their writings (some maybe not because of this but because they find it more difficult to use english)

In here there is almost only a forum with a regular "debate" but not a forum that will get too many members interested in it in my opinion. People don't use to like to be rudely treated. In fact joining that forum can easily make you want to vanish from frihost totally.
watersoul
truespeed wrote:
Earning 350 coins for a new member is really difficult,you only start earning at the 45 point mark,and from then on it takes at least a couple of months to get the required coins to earn a domain,so it is anything but easy.

I wouldn't say it is that difficult really, just a lot of typing.
I'm averaging around 7 coins per day from only a handful of 5 point posts in the evening. I can type almost as fast as my thoughts to be fair, but I don't spend hours crafting my replies, just blurt out my opinions via the keyboard.

If I was poor and wanted a domain I could get the coins in 51 days at the rate I've been posting for the last couple of weeks.
The first 45 points could easily be done in an evening, 9 posts worth 5 points, then continue with enough to get 7 coins per night for 50 days - I'm not sure what it is but I'm guessing about 6 or 7 decent posts per day.

OK, if you worked out the hourly rate for the 10 domain it is well below any minimum wage anywhere in the world, but It's not difficult if someone is interested in community conversation.

I'm still drawn to the coins (or part thereof) only being awarded for 5 point posts though, it would certainly encourage people chasing the domains to type a little more than one or two liners in multiple topics.

As I said, the coins don't interest me anymore, and if someone assists me with something then I often give them away as thanks, although I leave myself the magic 350 figure, if only for symbolic reasons.

*Edit*
I got 9 coins when the points reset again this evening. No great effort, and I didn't have to particularly search for anything interesting to reply to. At that rate it would take 40 days to get 350 coins.
watersoul
manfer wrote:
Most people doesn't will to debate anything. On these days there is a culture of minimal effort and there is very little people that make any effort on their writings (some maybe not because of this but because they find it more difficult to use english)

I think you could be right there, but also the choice of forum to place a topic can make a huge difference.
I've posted a few topics which have had a number of very interesting replies but then they've died off because as soon as they disappear from the View posts since last visit or the list on the Home page they die a quick death in little looked at forums such as health & beauty, or politics.
I've actually chosen to use General Chat for new topics in the past because they get vastly more page views and many more replies, even though they are technically in the wrong forum. I don't like doing that though, even if it has proven to work in the past.

Regarding English language skills, I will always defend anyone who is trying their best when it is not their first language. As long as I can get an understanding of what they are saying then that's good enough for me - Txt spk is just lzy tho + makes me Twisted Evil
manfer
watersoul wrote:
Txt spk is just lzy tho + makes me Twisted Evil


Poor legacy of the SMS era that did nothing good to languages though some people see that as a great evolution, an economy of language. I'm totally againts that view.
watersoul
manfer wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Txt spk is just lzy tho + makes me Twisted Evil


Poor legacy of the SMS era that did nothing good to languages though some people see that as a great evolution, an economy of language. I'm totally againts that view.

I agree, and it annoys me when I see it on Frihost or other forums.
I do still use it in some SMS to friends but when I'm sat in front of a keyboard it's just plain lazy.
twotrophy
I think that there should be also another requirement that your account needs to be at least 30 days old before applying for a domain. I do not think that there is a need to stop giving out free domains because of poor quality posts. This is because poor quality posts can be reduced by informing new users to write longer posts that are without online slang such as lol and brb. They should also be informed to acknowledge sources when writing posts.
truespeed
watersoul wrote:

I got 9 coins when the points reset again this evening. No great effort, and I didn't have to particularly search for anything interesting to reply to. At that rate it would take 40 days to get 350 coins.


40 days is still a huge commitment,for what is in effect a ten dollar reward.

I think that is fair,make it any more difficult and most wouldn't bother,and you would lose long term posters who only join to get the "free" domain.
deanhills
manfer wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Txt spk is just lzy tho + makes me Twisted Evil


Poor legacy of the SMS era that did nothing good to languages though some people see that as a great evolution, an economy of language. I'm totally againts that view.
Totally agreed. It hurts my eyes sometimes to look at one-liner posts with no capitals nor punctuation. And the abbreviations that I have to look up in the urban dictionary are very irritating too.

truespeed wrote:


40 days is still a huge commitment,for what is in effect a ten dollar reward.
I think it is more than a ten dollar reward for some who don't have credit cards. Quite a large number of the members here are still at school/college/university so this makes it ideal for them to get a domain.
Nyasro
Posting and being active in forum just for free domain name is bad rather after getting free domain s/he should continue to this forum.

As, free web hosting is good, great enough in itself for people like us with such much of space, bandwidth, unlimited database, emails, etc. we mustn't leave frihost back just by fulfilling our demand as free domain.

I don't request admin of frihost to make getting free domain complex rather I would say users like us to continue your activity in this forum.

This forum in not just all about getting free web host or coins or free domains, it's all about making our community, joining each other, sharing our views and problems.

Be active in this forum not only make frihost happy but also users like us by sharing, getting different kinds of knowledge, problems, views, etc.

Hope to see you all again and again
watersoul
twotrophy wrote:
I think that there should be also another requirement that your account needs to be at least 30 days old before applying for a domain.
I wonder is that even possible?
I'm not sure what the maximum coin per reset limit is, if any.

truespeed wrote:
40 days is still a huge commitment,for what is in effect a ten dollar reward.
True, but if you've no big rush and out of work skint it would definitely be worth it.

Quote:
I think that is fair,make it any more difficult and most wouldn't bother,and you would lose long term posters who only join to get the "free" domain.
Wouldn't long term posters stay anyway?
I hang around here for reasons other than the coins or hosting these days. It's a nice site with an eclectic mix of members who can be extremely knowledgeable, interesting, funny, curious, annoying, entertaining, shallow, thought provoking, and inspiring. I would imagine most long term members see it similarly and not be drawn to suddenly leave if coins (or parts thereof) were only accumulated for posts worth 5 points?


deanhills wrote:
I think it is more than a ten dollar reward for some who don't have credit cards. Quite a large number of the members here are still at school/college/university so this makes it ideal for them to get a domain.
That's exactly the sort of situation I had imagined as well. It would still be worth the effort but it would require more than lots of easy one-liners to gain the coins.


Nyasro wrote:
Be active in this forum not only make frihost happy but also users like us by sharing, getting different kinds of knowledge, problems, views, etc.
That's a sentiment I share. The community is wildly mixed, and interesting new members would always be welcomed by me, but if they want coins for a domain their posts should be longer than easy one-liners in my thoughts.
johans
this is very interesting topic.

for me, the rules are perfect and it is a good thing that frihost offers like this services. based on my experience i have been request for a domain name for about 4 months now but still my request has not been action with bonding. i guess my suggestion is bonding should be active and he should have assistant or staff to issue the request and demands
watersoul
johans wrote:
this is very interesting topic.

for me, the rules are perfect and it is a good thing that frihost offers like this services. based on my experience i have been request for a domain name for about 4 months now but still my request has not been action with bonding. i guess my suggestion is bonding should be active and he should have assistant or staff to issue the request and demands
Wow, 4 months is a long time. Maybe send a message or two? That seems an unreasonable time to wait.
truespeed
watersoul wrote:

truespeed wrote:
40 days is still a huge commitment,for what is in effect a ten dollar reward.
True, but if you've no big rush and out of work skint it would definitely be worth it.


Anyone joining frihost for a free domain wants one as soon as possible,they are in a rush,I assume they join because they have an idea for a website already in place and want to get it off the ground as soon as possible,I don't see any benefit it making this process any more time consuming than it already is.


watersoul wrote:
Wouldn't long term posters stay anyway?
I hang around here for reasons other than the coins or hosting these days. It's a nice site with an eclectic mix of members who can be extremely knowledgeable, interesting, funny, curious, annoying, entertaining, shallow, thought provoking, and inspiring. I would imagine most long term members see it similarly and not be drawn to suddenly leave if coins (or parts thereof) were only accumulated for posts worth 5 points?


We are not talking about long term members,we are talking about members joining for hosting and free domains,when I first joined,I had no interest in the forums,I just wanted hosting,I wasn't a forum poster,so I found posting in the forums really difficult,that isn't the case now,but it was back then.

Now getting hosting only takes 5 posts and a promise to upkeep your points,getting a domain is more difficult and takes a huge commitment for new members,I really don't think we should be putting any more barriers in their way,as once they have that domain and hosting,the likelihood is that they will be posting here for many years thereafter.


johans wrote:
this is very interesting topic.

for me, the rules are perfect and it is a good thing that frihost offers like this services. based on my experience i have been request for a domain name for about 4 months now but still my request has not been action with bonding. i guess my suggestion is bonding should be active and he should have assistant or staff to issue the request and demands


That is pretty poor from Bondings,I know he is busy,but a four month wait is unacceptable,now that would be a good reason for removing the domain offer,if they can't be issued within a reasonable time frame then they should be removed altogether.
twotrophy
johans wrote:
this is very interesting topic.

for me, the rules are perfect and it is a good thing that frihost offers like this services. based on my experience i have been request for a domain name for about 4 months now but still my request has not been action with bonding. i guess my suggestion is bonding should be active and he should have assistant or staff to issue the request and demands


It is likely that Bondings would make at least a few posts for this month because of the Frihost anniversary. The minimum points that I ever saw him was several posts below 0 so he would probably post soon as his point count is around 0 (estimate) at the moment.

I think that Bondings might want to consider getting an assistant as Frihost is taking up time in his ostensibly very busy life. This would probably require someone whom he knows in real life as this position requires a lot of trust as he or she could easily mess up the whole website. The person needs to have a significantly more free time than Bondings as well so that he or she can be more active than him.

I also wonder why Bondings have enough time to post for even 10 minutes a day. I hope that his life is okay as this is probably extremely busy for him. I would also make it a point not to take jobs that require one a lot of free time to prevent myself from being to busy when I get older. I am currently stuck whether I should be an artist or an IT professional as I am passionate in both areas.

I would also be less active over the next few weeks because of school exams which I have to study and prepare for. I would probably be 1/3 to 1/2 less active. I hope I don't miss much over the next few weeks. I would probably just post once or twice every day and no posts at all on some days.
In a way, Frihost has improved my writing skills which would be useful in school.
Bluedoll
Quote:
People don't use to like to be rudely treated. manfer wrote


Quote:
I've posted a few topics which have had a number of very interesting replies but then they've died off because as soon as they disappear from the View posts since last visit watersoul wrote


An alternative might be to figure out some way to utilise the marketplace section to give members even more reason to gather points? just a thought.
watersoul
truespeed wrote:
when I first joined,I had no interest in the forums,I just wanted hosting,I wasn't a forum poster,so I found posting in the forums really difficult,that isn't the case now,but it was back then.
That's interesting because I'll admit it pretty much sums up my own story as well. Frihost was the first forum I ever really got into, but originally I was only interested in the hosting.

twotrophy wrote:
I am currently stuck whether I should be an artist or an IT professional as I am passionate in both areas.

I would also be less active over the next few weeks because of school exams which I have to study and prepare for. I would probably be 1/3 to 1/2 less active. I hope I don't miss much over the next few weeks. I would probably just post once or twice every day and no posts at all on some days.
In a way, Frihost has improved my writing skills which would be useful in school.
I'd say work on both options until one becomes the most dominant in your life. It's never a bad thing to have multiple skills because life throws multiple options and opportunities at us.
Good luck with your upcoming exams as well. Smile

Bluedoll wrote:
An alternative might be to figure out some way to utilise the marketplace section to give members even more reason to gather points? just a thought.
That's an idea worth thinking about. If it encourages activity on the forums then I'm all for it.

Thanks for all the interesting perspectives raised in this topic though folks. Even though it seems my idea in the OP is not the most popular, it has been a useful conversation to guage general opinion so far.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Thanks for all the interesting perspectives raised in this topic though folks. Even though it seems my idea in the OP is not the most popular, it has been a useful conversation to guage general opinion so far.
Agreed. It was a great discussion.
johans
watersoul wrote:
johans wrote:
this is very interesting topic.

for me, the rules are perfect and it is a good thing that frihost offers like this services. based on my experience i have been request for a domain name for about 4 months now but still my request has not been action with bonding. i guess my suggestion is bonding should be active and he should have assistant or staff to issue the request and demands
Wow, 4 months is a long time. Maybe send a message or two? That seems an unreasonable time to wait.


here is the link on my post request. http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-146685.html

I have also PM bonding but no response.

My requested started December 18, 2012 until now i dont have idea regarding on my request.
twotrophy
watersoul wrote:
I'd say work on both options until one becomes the most dominant in your life. It's never a bad thing to have multiple skills because life throws multiple options and opportunities at us.
Good luck with your upcoming exams as well. Smile


Thank you Watersoul for your encouragement. I would try to take your advice. I know very basic Javascript but I have a lot of difficulty creating artworks using the computer. I am much better at art that does not require a computer or other complicated techniques. I just prefer using papers and colour pencils.
codegeek
I don't know, I think getting 350 coins requires a fair amount of work. I only make 1 or 2 posts a day on the topics which I like. I have been on the forum for a while, but I'm still far away from the 350 mark. I did win 30 coins in the letter grid competition which was awesome. Very Happy . All in all, I enjoy my time on this forum very much.
watersoul
codegeek wrote:
I don't know, I think getting 350 coins requires a fair amount of work. I only make 1 or 2 posts a day on the topics which I like. I have been on the forum for a while, but I'm still far away from the 350 mark. I did win 30 coins in the letter grid competition which was awesome. Very Happy . All in all, I enjoy my time on this forum very much.
You are more than welcome to enter my 100 word story writing contest, the prize is currently 49 coins and could rise further before the closing date.
RosenCruz
I believe free domains are a nice feature of Frihost and stay.

For more interesting and revealing discussions, I believe we need other ideas
dude_xyx
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Since the Coins introduce I haven't notice huge increase in posts or topics. Seems all same. Even if you earn 5 coins a day ( Not easy not for everyone) it takes 70 days to gain Coins. So I think if anyone could do that he/she deserves it.
watersoul
dude_xyx wrote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
I'm certainly getting that general feel of opinion so far, perhaps I'll just shut up Laughing
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
I'm certainly getting that general feel of opinion so far, perhaps I'll just shut up Laughing
I guess the world would go completely off kilter in shock if that were to happen. Laughing I'm glad you started this topic however. I'm enjoying it for sure! This is probably one of the most meaningful discussions about the coins that I've seen since Bondings' official threads on the subject. Cool
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
I'm certainly getting that general feel of opinion so far, perhaps I'll just shut up Laughing
I guess the world would go completely off kilter in shock if that were to happen. Laughing
I only reply to topics which interest me on Frihost but I can pretty much have a chat about anything if I'm in a situation where there is reason for me to do so. In the non-digital world I'll even get involved in beauty product chat or shallow 'celebrity' gossip if there is a tactical reason for not saying 'your conversation is tiresome and uninteresting. Doesn't mean I particularly enjoy it though, it's just better than being thought of as a prick by female acquaintances Wink

Quote:
I'm glad you started this topic however. I'm enjoying it for sure! This is probably one of the most meaningful discussions about the coins that I've seen since Bondings' official threads on the subject. Cool
There have been some interesting opinions posted here. I guess I've just attempted to think about it from Bondings point of view if it was my site. I've no idea of the possible income from advertising revenue, but I know how much server space and domains cost.
Not my site though though so none of it matters. Some interesting thoughts shared so it was worth raising the question for that reason at the very least.

[slinks away from the thread]
Related topics
Free Domain & Redirect Services
Free domain names
Does anyone know where I could get a FREE domain name?
domains
Free Domain (com, net, org...) With No Advertisement
Free Domain Re-direction #2 - www.yourname.Net.Tc
Free Domain and Web Hosting from Microsoft
Free Domain, With Frihost Members Help!
FREE Domain Names
Free Domain Name by ezyrewards
Free .info Domains Names (LIMITED TIME OFFER)
need free domain
Free Domain + Website from Google for Indian Business
does a free host and a free domain affect SEO efforts?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.