FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to create a bootable DOS USB drive

likeabreeze
I know the following three files are essential for a Dos system:
MSDOS.SYS IO.SYS COMMAND.COM
In order to create a bootable DOS USB Drive, is it enough to copy these three files into a USB Drive?
tdossi
prerequisite

The Laptop-/Mainboard-Bios must support bootable USB flash drive - which should apply to most models, which are not older than 4-5 years. Recognizes the BIOS when booting a USB stick, it will be integrated either as a removable drive (Removable Drive) or as a normal drive.

These tools are required to:

Ultimate BIOS boot Edition:
- Usbdos (3 command.com hidden folder contains the MS-DOS operating system files, io.sys and msdos.sys!)
- HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool v2.2.3.exe (USB formatting software from Hewlett-Packard)
Ultimate BIOS boot Edition - 5.9MB

Instruction to create a DOS boot USB flash drives

Boot_usb_stick Open the folder from the Ultimate Edition BIOS boot.
Copy the folder usbdos to your hard drive.
Start the HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool.
Select the USB drive from the Device.
Choose a file system then FAT-32 and put a check mark Create a DOS startup disk.
Enter the path to the folder using DOS system files under usbdos located at: at.
Has formatted Click on Start and wait for the program to the USB stick and copied the 3 system files.

MOD - Serial posts combined with first in series. Please review The Forum Rules and the Frihost FAQ
-Ankhanu
badai
i just use DOSBox if i want to run DOS in Windows.
likeabreeze
I know there are lots of software can do this for me.
But what I really wanna know is how does that work.
In other words, how do these software work? Do they simply copy MSDOS.SYS IO.SYS COMMAND.COM into my USB drive?
badai
likeabreeze wrote:
I know there are lots of software can do this for me.
But what I really wanna know is how does that work.
In other words, how do these software work? Do they simply copy MSDOS.SYS IO.SYS COMMAND.COM into my USB drive?

technically?

1. the usb formatting software will format your usb with a boot sector. it will also put the two sys files and command.com in the usb. if you were destined to copy files to the boot disk as your true life's purpose, i think you can copy the command.com, but i doubt you can copy the two sys files. if i'm not mistaken, it's place on certain sector so that BIOS can find them.
2. BIOS will see this usb as just another floppy drive and boot from it.

oh yes, the software simply copy the files, albeit writing it at the right place. amazing isn't it. some small usb formatter can do that while big expensive adobe software can never save its' file without it being defragmented.