FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Clever, funny or unusual advertising

watersoul
I was just looking through some pics on my phone from a cloudy and not very warm September last year, when Summer had pretty much gone. Here's one that made me smile, the stall owner trying to grab more of the last few sales before closing for the season.

You can clearly see the beach below when walking behind the seawall so I've written addresses of websites in large letters quite a few times myself. This is better than any one I've ever done though.

Another good advert I saw in a multi-story car park stairwell was a cleaning company website address written by finger on all the dust covered windows. It was cleaned by the council in a few days, but I wondered how many thousands of people saw it before they did.

A friend of mine uses a stencil template and some bleach spray to promote his blog on dirty concrete paving slabs, it's not specifically illegal here and no councils in the UK have prosecuted for such actions, however doing it on private walls or whatever would be something I wouldn't want happening to my house.

Anyone else seen similar unusual advertising ideas in your area?
deanhills
The layout, composition and the letters are pretty spectacular. The guy obviously has some talent there. Very Happy
Peterssidan
.. and too few costumers. It looks like he's trying to attract people in aircrafts.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
.. and too few costumers. It looks like he's trying to attract people in aircrafts.
Good point! And probably to drop a bomb in the bulls eye he has drawn. Laughing
watersoul
Peterssidan wrote:
Ah there's reason to his madness, a coastal path on the clifftop behind. If anyone is walking down to the beach they'll have the donut idea firmly planted in their minds by the time they get there Wink
_AVG_
Interesting picture, I wonder how often he "maintains" his advertisement lol.
People walking over it would probably mess it up Rolling Eyes
standready
Very clever advertising! Now, I am hungry for donuts. See, it worked! I wonder if this vendor delivers across the pond. laugh
watersoul
_AVG_ wrote:
Interesting picture, I wonder how often he "maintains" his advertisement lol.
People walking over it would probably mess it up Rolling Eyes
During peak season the beach is rammed so he doesn't need the advert, only when it starts getting quieter he does his sand writing thing. To be honest, if there's plenty of room on the sand, nearly everyone walks around it, sort of beach/sand respect thing going on here.
As a side story, I've known the guy for years, and his son is the same age as mine. When my lad was a lot younger and I'd be down the beach with him, I would look after the donut mans son through the day, in the sea, whatever, while he would look after my wallet/phone/stuff and provide free donuts and ice-creams for us. Perfect arrangement Smile

standready wrote:
Very clever advertising! Now, I am hungry for donuts. See, it worked! I wonder if this vendor delivers across the pond. laugh
Haha, he returned for the new season last week, I'll ask him! I'll tell him I've put a pic of his sand-ad on the internet as well, that'll make him chuckle.
grofet
It's a large sand drawing. I hope he/she don't get caught for not having pay the advertisement tax. Huge advertising need a lot of money for the tax and permit from the government.
Radar
In general, I find that I appreciate clever advertising much more than normal advertising.

If it's clever, yes, you're overwhelming our senses trying to sell us something, but at least you're doing in a witty way. It's not completely devoid of meaning if we ignore the message, there's still some benefit.
codegeek
This is really good advertising. If I saw this somewhere, I'd definitely want to buy a donut.
deanhills
I guess this one is a classic among funny ones ... don't know how they did it, but thought it was quite brilliant! Cool

manfer
TNT "add drama" commercials are really great works.

deanhills
@Manfer. The first one was very surprising. Particularly when it says it was Belgium and then everything else happened afterwards. Did surprise me! Very Happy
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
@Manfer. The first one was very surprising. Particularly when it says it was Belgium and then everything else happened afterwards. Did surprise me! Very Happy
I've seen the first one before, it's really good isn't it. I'd definitely press the button if I'd been walking past Smile