FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should Frihost offer very short domain extensions?

twotrophy
Should Frihost offer extremely short sub-domains such as yourname.fh.me or yourname.fh.tk for web hosting? Would that be too expensive or would it make Frihost more popular? Such TLDs domains might be unaffordable to Frihost as it might cost thousands of dollars.
deanhills
Everything is possible twotrophy, however reasonable feasible, maybe not. Interesting suggestion however.
Peterssidan
What subdomains do new users get these days? My frihost domain is mysite.frih.net, which is quite short I think. Much better than mysite.frihost.org.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
What subdomains do new users get these days? My frihost domain is mysite.frih.net, which is quite short I think. Much better than mysite.frihost.org.
I've got .frihost.net. Received it in 2008. The Frihost Home Page says frihost.org:
Quote:
A free subdomain of your choice (eg. yoursite.frihost.org)
manfer
That was something that depended on the Server where you got your account because for some reason the way in which the Servers has been configured is by giving each Server its own domain.

So one Server is the one hosting frihost.net (Server 1, cPanel control panel), other is frih.net (Server 2, Direct Admin control panel), other frih.org (Server 3, Direct Admin control panel) and other frihost.org (Server 4, Direct Admin control panel). And as the more recent new accounts are assigned to Server 4 frihost.org that is why they receive a subdomain from frihost.org domain.

Or maybe now it is already different, as if I'm not wrong Bondings has not long ago upgraded his Server 1 which now has plenty of resources and must be still capable to host lots of websites, so not sure if new accounts are still assigned to Server 4 or are assigned to Server 1.

The Servers and their mail and nameservers can be seen on frihost FAQ.
deanhills
manfer wrote:
That was something that depended on the Server where you got your account because for some reason the way in which the Servers has been configured is by giving each Server its own domain.

So one Server is the one hosting frihost.net (Server 1, cPanel control panel), other is frih.net (Server 2, Direct Admin control panel), other frih.org (Server 3, Direct Admin control panel) and other frihost.org (Server 4, Direct Admin control panel). And as the more recent new accounts are assigned to Server 4 frihost.org that is why they receive a subdomain from frihost.org domain.

Or maybe now it is already different, as if I'm not wrong Bondings has not long ago upgraded his Server 1 which now has plenty of resources and must be still capable to host lots of websites, so not sure if new accounts are still assigned to Server 4 or are assigned to Server 1.

The Servers and their mail and nameservers can be seen on frihost FAQ.
Ay Manfer, you're a genius! Cool Now why could I not figure that out for myself ? Brick wall
watersoul
twotrophy wrote:
Such TLDs domains might be unaffordable to Frihost as it might cost thousands of dollars.

Found one from Peru - fh.pe - available for $50 per year.
Cameroon - fh.cm - available for $100 per year

Belize - fri.bz - $20 per year
Cameroon - fri.cm - $100 per year

I've always added purchased domains to my frihost space though so wouldn't see the need for this, although Bondings could be tempted, who knows.
If anyone can't afford a domain name then the free option from coins for posting here is always available.
twotrophy
I am quite surprised that such domains exist that are sold for a reasonable price. But I think that Bondings may still have difficulty affording domains that are worth $50-$100 USD. fh.pe is as short as .co.uk so it might be worth trying to get. The price for renewal is likely to increase when renewing the domain.
watersoul
twotrophy wrote:
I am quite surprised that such domains exist that are sold for a reasonable price. But I think that Bondings may still have difficulty affording domains that are worth $50-$100 USD. fh.pe is as short as .co.uk so it might be worth trying to get. The price for renewal is likely to increase when renewing the domain.

Yeah, I'm almost sorry I opened my mouth now to be honest, could have a few ideas for the fh.pe and the fh.cm myself if I had a spare $150 to blow on a gamble right now. Maybe they'll still be available in a few weeks Embarassed
taytay
I've enjoyed my frih.net. I've recently purchased a domain with godaddy to use. I've converted my gaming site onto it, and I can still use my frih.net for personal things. It's great! pondering getting another godaddy domain to replace my frih.net... I try not to complain about free stuff. Frihost has been the most amazing I've tried so far! been here several years now and I love it.
----------
edit: wow yeah. i've been here 7 years! cool. <3 Frihost!
deanhills
taytay wrote:
I've enjoyed my frih.net. I've recently purchased a domain with godaddy to use. I've converted my gaming site onto it, and I can still use my frih.net for personal things. It's great! pondering getting another godaddy domain to replace my frih.net... I try not to complain about free stuff. Frihost has been the most amazing I've tried so far! been here several years now and I love it.
----------
edit: wow yeah. i've been here 7 years! cool. <3 Frihost!
That's a great domain taytay - frih.net. Nice and short and you'd never be able to forget it either.
watersoul
I used to have frih.net back in 2006, but I lapsed on my posting and it got suspended as far as I remember, so when it got reinstated I had missed the boat and had to have frihost.net instead.
twotrophy
Combining our coins together might be a good idea for the extremely short domain extension. But it might make Frihost more popular than Bondings wants as people would get attracted to such domains. 350 coins is probably worth about $10 so we need several coupons.
manfer
twotrophy wrote:
350 coins is probably worth about $10 so we need several coupons.

Frihost coins are not real money. It seems you are totally confused about that.

Bondings offers a free domain for 350 coins because he wants to do that but that doesn't mean coins can be converted into real money taking as reference the value of a domain.

If Bondings had to pay real money in exchange of the actual members coins it wouldn't be any good for him.

I understand that the domain name offer is a one time offer. This means that we can ask for a domain at 350 coins but we can't ask for another domain when we get 350coins more (700coins) nor a third after earning 350coins more (1050 lifetime coins), etc...
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I used to have frih.net back in 2006, but I lapsed on my posting and it got suspended as far as I remember, so when it got reinstated I had missed the boat and had to have frihost.net instead.
That is just as neat! All of the members owning a variety of Frihost domains. Think I should do the same.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
That is just as neat! All of the members owning a variety of Frihost domains. Think I should do the same.

You should have one Dean if you have hosting here.
My space on Frihost is: watersoul.frihost.net (Bondings owns frihost.net)
Depending on which server you're on you should have similar (frih.net, frihost.net, frihost.org or whatever) Bondings owns all the owns mentioned in this topic, we just have a subdomain in front of it.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:

You should have one Dean if you have hosting here.
My space on Frihost is: watersoul.frihost.net (Bondings owns frihost.net)
Depending on which server you're on you should have similar (frih.net, frihost.net, frihost.org or whatever) Bondings owns all the owns mentioned in this topic, we just have a subdomain in front of it.
Embarassed I do indeed. It hit me yesterday late afternoon. Brick wall
Qantas94Heavy
What about friho.st? Having said that though, at 35 euro/yr it isn't exactly cheap. Right now, I don't think that it's of that high priority, however it's be something cool to have. I'm not sure how much Bondings earns/loses from running Frihost, so I do not know whether that is something that would reasonably be in the budget of Bonding's account or not. Cool