FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Posts since last visit

twotrophy
I think that the feature that allows you to view posts since your last visit is annoying because if you go elsewhere on Frihost, the time of your last visit would likely change and you would be unable to view the posts on your last visit. I think that Frihost should adjust this so that users can view the posts before they log in to solve this problem.
deanhills
It's probably because we're still on a very early version of phpBB Twotrophy. Bondings did major adjustments with plenty of unique coding to a much earlier version of Frihost to the extent if he were to upgrade to newer more up to date versions of phpBB, that it may create serious head aches and investment of time he doesn't have available.

If any modifications were possible in a more ideal world, I would prefer that if I haven't managed to work through all of the "View Posts Since Last Visit", that those I haven't viewed when I log out and log in the next time, would still be highlighted as unread. Looks as though when we log out, all posts become automatically "read" by default. At times posts may become "read" even when I'm still logged in. Then a wish that probably would never be granted any where on the Web is for phpBB to have a feature where I can unmark multiple posts at a time as read, instead of all of them. I.e. there may be a spammer who made 15 posts, or there may be 20 posts in a Language Forum I'd like to make "unread" in one sitting. I tick the 20 in one sitting and they become read, and the remainder of the unread posts remain highlighted and unread even in a few posting sessions afterwards, until I've actually read them.
truespeed
Perhaps if we had something like they do in phpbb3 "view active topics" which lists the posts from the past 7 days as default,although you can extend that search via the drop down menu to up to a year.
twotrophy
I think Bondings might need an assistant to code this website from time to time. It might be good if Bondings look for someone in the forums who is trustworthy and active not to mess up the website. I am a little bit worried about Bondings since he is extremely busy. What does he work for and what job is he in right now?
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:
I think Bondings might need an assistant to code this website from time to time. It might be good if Bondings look for someone in the forums who is trustworthy and active not to mess up the website. I am a little bit worried about Bondings since he is extremely busy. What does he work for and what job is he in right now?
@Twotrophy. Frihost is definitely not short of coders and designers and many offers have been made in the past, however the little bit I understand is that Frihost is a personal hobby/sandbox of Bondings. He prefers to do all of the coding and the design work himself, when he has time of course.

TiDrug did an interview with Bondings right at the beginning of time in 2006 while Bondings was a student. It should give you the flavour of Bondings' wish to be anonymous as well as his affection for Frihost.
http://gurdit.com/blog/2006/04/05/interview-with-steve-bondings-owner-and-site-admin-frihost/

One thing one can pick up from the interview is that Bondings is pretty much disciplined in how he spends his time. Frihost is strictly for personal time that is left over after all of his other priorities have been met. At the same time Frihost is very important to him.
Peterssidan
View your posts shows all the threads that you have replied to.
View unanswered posts shows all threads that has not been replied to.
It would be great if there was a link that showed all threads. Threads with unread posts since last visit have coloured icon so it would be easy to see what posts have been made since last visit, and so the View posts since last visit link could be removed.
twotrophy
deanhills wrote:
@Twotrophy. Frihost is definitely not short of coders and designers and many offers have been made in the past, however the little bit I understand is that Frihost is a personal hobby/sandbox of Bondings. He prefers to do all of the coding and the design work himself, when he has time of course.

TiDrug did an interview with Bondings right at the beginning of time in 2006 while Bondings was a student. It should give you the flavour of Bondings' wish to be anonymous as well as his affection for Frihost.
http://gurdit.com/blog/2006/04/05/interview-with-steve-bondings-owner-and-site-admin-frihost/

One thing one can pick up from the interview is that Bondings is pretty much disciplined in how he spends his time. Frihost is strictly for personal time that is left over after all of his other priorities have been met. At the same time Frihost is very important to him.

Thank you Deanhills for your information. I look up to you as being very experienced in Frihost. Just like Bondings, I prefer to remain anonymous as well. I think that it is possible to negotiate with Bondings in the domain request form just that I would probably have to pay for a higher amount of coins to keep myself anonymous. I did not realize that there are so many things that I do not know about Frihost. Once again, thank you for writing a very long and informative post in response to my question. He inspires and teaches me to be more time-efficient.

@Peterssidan I like your idea very much. I think that Bondings should consider your idea as it is more convenient.