FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apply a Job or Resign first from Current Job

codersfriend
hi guys, I would just like to ask if it is better to apply for a new Job while you are working then resign from your current job, or you should resign first then find a new job.
Thanks Smile
TheGremlyn
I'd say it would make more sense to apply for new jobs while you're still in your current one. You never know if you'll find something and if you do there's no guarantee you'll get the job. I'm on contract right now until the end of August so I will have to start job hunting hopefully for something that starts in September. If I find a job then I'll be set just in case I'm not offered another contract. I could be waiting on that contract until a few days from its end :S I feel like I should get another contract as my workplace is looking to expand the department and keep more permanent staff on the Help Desk instead of hiring students each year. Again, this is no guarantee so you have to be prepared for the worst. I would panic if I left this job at the end and didn't have something else lined up!
codegeek
I think you should definitely apply for other jobs before resigning your current one. It is not sure when you will get the next job, so if you resign now, you could possibly be looking at months of unemployment. So, I'd say that you should go for a few interviews and get a few callbacks before typing that resignation letter. Smile
codersfriend
ah yes I guess you're right. I don't think there is anything wrong in looking for a job while working. thanks Smile
BigGeek
It is completely acceptable to look for a new job while you are currently employed.

Many employers will hire a person that is employed over one that is unemployed so having a job while searching can be a benefit. Also in my state, if you quit your job you are not eligible for unemployment so it is best to keep working while looking.

Added to all of that, all you owe your present employer is a 2 week notice. In other words you only need to tell your employer 2 weeks in advance that you are leaving. This is a courtesy and not required, not to mention that when it comes time for a lay off, no employer is going to give you the courtesy of a 2 week notice, they walk you right out the door that day.

Keep your job, and look for another, plus the other thing about being in that situation is that when you are unemployed you are in distress due to lack of income, and end up taking the first job that comes up. When you are employed, no matter how poor the job, you have an income and can afford to be choosey over who you want to work for and take the best option.

So all in all it is best to keep working while looking!!!
Insanity
You should keep your job because it offers some security while you look for another one. Unless the job you are currently at is terrible and you want to get out as soon as possible. Otherwise, I'd suggest you keep your job to keep a steady stream of income.
ZeytinGrafik
apply first / resign later. As the free-term you might serve while looking for a job can discourage you and make you lazy. oh, and the steady income thing.
c'tair
As the others have said - apply first and resign later. It depends on your contract/country, but you should have the chance to leave with anywhere from 0 to 2 weeks notice.
crazyfffan
To me it's more like resigning from the current job first then trying your best to find a new job.
Especially if your current job is a full-time in normal working day, if you stay in the job you'll have less time to find, apply, and go for interviews, it means you might be stuck in your current job forever. Quitting a job and have a couple of months unemployed seems a bit scary but in reality it gives you more motivation for a job seek.
Some job requires you to work immediately, and normally you have to give 2 week notice before resigning a job, so you'll miss a chance with this kind of new job.
johans
codersfriend wrote:
hi guys, I would just like to ask if it is better to apply for a new Job while you are working then resign from your current job, or you should resign first then find a new job.
Thanks Smile

go for the first option. apply then after resign. In this way you can guarantee work. In other words WIN WIN situation.
deanhills
codersfriend wrote:
Thanks Smile
Unless you're someone who is unique with very special credentials and specializations, I'd say candidates for a position who are employed are much more attractive to job hunters than those who are not. I'd also think your bargaining position would be much better from a position of strength.
zimmer
codersfriend wrote:
Thanks Smile

Secure your self first. Dont jupardize and end to jobless.
yurasai
It's better to look for a new job first before resigning in my opinion/experience.
bukaida
Do not leave what you already have in hand until you have something on the other hand ,else you may end up having nothing. This is an old proverb.
abhinavm24
applying for a newer and better is always good.
Cool
but don't leave your previous job until you have confirmation letter in your hand.

Smile