FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which 2 photos should I use?

wellerchap
....which 2 for the upcoming competition at my camera club, themed "Landscape", which is held on 15th April?
I took all these shots on a recent weekend trip to the English Lake District.
a.

b.

c.

d.

e.

f.

g.

h.

i.

j.

k.

l.

I may, or may not, take a blind bit of notice of the concensus Very Happy
Ankhanu
Geez, these are pretty good. I love your tones and degree of contrast, and the compositions are all quite strong. I can't tell you which two to choose, but I think e. and i. are probably the weakest, or least impactful compositions, and they're still enjoyable. Come to think of it, while I enjoy the content of c. as well, the stones don't stand out from the field quite well enough for a competition (?).

So, that may help you narrow down a little?

Good luck, man.
manfer
d and j are the ones I like.
nixink
Firstly, congrats on some beautiful images...
That said, my terminology / technical knowledge is somewhat... ...how do I put this politically correctly... ...crappy - but what I consider is what I feel or what story can be told be looking at said pictures.
I thought option d was quite striking - maybe my interpretation is possibly not the norm - but I get a sense of despair which in itself is incredibly emotive.

Then, I agree that c grabs me - but the impact could be lost with the similar tones... and so the winner for the no. 2 spot would have to be... ...j and I say this for no other reason than that it makes me feel like there could be a lot of things happening - fairies and elves and magic and little frodos all over the place singing and dancing and turning each other into toads...(possibly a mother in law or 2 - if that hasn't already happened)

For me, those 2 are coolade - and afterall, who goes wrong with a good d. j. Smile
Much luk 2 u!
manfer
What I wonder is if you would be allowed to do some digital retouch of the shots because those really would be highly enhanced with minimal retouches.

The shots lack a little exposure so the colors look a little matte.

Just by adding a little exposure and adding a little saturation the shots are highly enhanced. I would show how they look but as the pictures are not mine I don't like to upload a retouched version to the net as maybe you don't like people uploading your work to other places.

Anyway if you are going to show the shots printed then maybe just by being printed into gloss paper they are already enhanced.
Vanilla
What beautiful shots! Wonderful compositions, wellerchap! I'm a sucker for reflections, but I'll have to say g and j. The g one impacted me because you can see just how huge you scenery is. And the j one... Is that a HDR? Because the trees and the mountains look astoundingly beautiful. You can almost feel the moss in the trees.
deanhills
Awesome photos Wellerchap. My personal favourites are "d" and "j". "d" the composition and depth in the photo are pretty stunning. Then "j" I like as it felt alive and full of tree drama. Great composition as well.
evilryu530
2nd and fourth
Ankhanu
manfer wrote:
What I wonder is if you would be allowed to do some digital retouch of the shots because those really would be highly enhanced with minimal retouches.

Just by adding a little exposure and adding a little saturation the shots are highly enhanced. I would show how they look but as the pictures are not mine I don't like to upload a retouched version to the net as maybe you don't like people uploading your work to other places.

Anyway if you are going to show the shots printed then maybe just by being printed into gloss paper they are already enhanced.

Pretty certain they ARE edited, and the colour effect is intentional... and that it is used to spectacular effect. I think the changes you suggest would fundamentally change the tone and feel of the images; they would lose a lot of impact.
manfer
Ankhanu wrote:
manfer wrote:

Pretty certain they ARE edited, and the colour effect is intentional... and that it is used to spectacular effect. I think the changes you suggest would fundamentally change the tone and feel of the images; they would lose a lot of impact.

Not at all. I'm not suggesting a huge change. Merely making colors a little more vivid (in shots d and j which are the ones I suggested).

Just in photoshop adding 0,4-0,5 exposure and adding a 10-20% saturation and optionally adding one of the cold photo filters very very smoothly in my opinion enhances the shots.
Ankhanu
It's a subjective field, and we like what we like. I like the cold, hard almost drabness of the images; these are near perfect in my opinion. I wouldn't like them near as much with more vividness.
rx9876
F, J are my favorites.
Awesome!
wellerchap
Thanks everyone....I ended up going with D and J in the end - I came level 3rd with J and level 4th with D at the competition, out of 52 entries.
It's all VERY subjective at competition level - the old guy that judged seemed to like stuff you'd see on a chocolate box, or old lady's calendar, so I was never going to win with these.
Still, I won't give in and enter stuff the judge wants to see....I've got to stick with what I feel good with, I think.
All comments duly noted Very Happy
jajarvin
I like pictures j and k. All pictures are fine.