FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Yay! Finally getting my numbers up.

GuidanceReader
I've been rather busy the last few months so was rather shocked when I came back to Frihost and found my points at -5 Shocked I didn't realise I had been away that long!

Over the last few days I've been going through posts hoping to find something to reply to. I don't like making posts just for the sake of making them, and would rather reply to things that interest me. Today there were a few posts that I found and now I've almost reached my points goal! (so here I am making a pointless post Laughing )

Anyway, what kinds of posts do you like to post to? What interests you on the forums?
deanhills
My favourite section is the Blog Section right now. Real sense of community there and I like that. General Chat is next on the list. Not much of good discussions any longer in the World News and Politics Sub-Forums, but if there are, I usually pay attention, as it is an interest of mine. Phil&Religion is a bit of a lions' den, however now and then there is at least a good post, so do read most of the posts in this section. I also check out the other Sub-Forums if there is time left.
GuidanceReader
I'm enjoying the General Chat section. I would love the religious forum, but yeah... I don't like the lion-den feel to it. Been looking around the faith forum instead, but not quite my cup of tea.
watersoul
I only ever really click on 'View posts since last visit' and 'View your posts' from the 'Forums' page.
I tend to look at the posts headings and sometimes the username of the OP, and if either interest me then I'll have a look. If I have any useful, interesting, passionate or even lighthearted comments burning inside me then I'll post a reply.

I check the 'View your posts' link quite a lot as I try not to miss any direct reply aimed at me, or an interesting comment which may have been posted in a thread I've authored.
I'm quite opinionated though generally and can talk a glass eye to sleep so if I fall into negative points then I'll go turbo and comment on anything that I find even mildly interesting.

I have to say though that even when I speed reply, my comments are always honest and well considered as an expression of my character, not diluted as a cynical tool to regain my points. I had a lovely deep conversation with my mid-teen son some weeks ago (He took the silly picture of my new avatar with the graffiti ghost) and I gave him my username here so he could get a greater understanding of me and the way I think, and why. We have had a few funny and interesting discussions since he started investigating my couple of thousand posts.

Simple question topics along the lines of 'Do you eat beans and lentils?' or whatever, where the OP doesn't give any information about their own situation regarding eating such things, and hardly ever replies further or gets involved in a discussion, are handy to give a quick truthful reply with easy catch-up points though. Wink

*Edit*
I could cancel my hosting and avoid the negative points thing as I have paid hosting these days, but I've linked loads of stuff hosted on my space to posts I've made here over the 7 years (next week) that I've been a member of Frihost. Even if a historical post is only ever seen rarely, it would be a pity in my mind to spoil any which centered around a gif/jpg/png image which has been deleted.

...my life and general outlook is quite spontaneous and sporadic though, with structured plans only made for the things I see as important (parenting/work/etc). The same could probably be said about my posting style and frequency, as could be imagined.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
*Edit*
I could cancel my hosting and avoid the negative points thing as I have paid hosting these days, but I've linked loads of stuff hosted on my space to posts I've made here over the 7 years (next week) that I've been a member of Frihost. Even if a historical post is only ever seen rarely, it would be a pity in my mind to spoil any which centered around a gif/jpg/png image which has been deleted.
Enjoyed this post Watersoul, as you say honest, authentic and original, rather than posting for points. I also use the "View posts since last visit", although sometimes for some or other reason it gets set to "read" during my posting session, without having read them. Fortunately not that often though as that is my preferred way of posting. In lieu of that I check through Sub-Forum by Sub-Forum, usually starting with the General Chat Forum, Introductions, then World News, Politics, Phil&Rel, Faith, Health, after that Blogs, Frihost Support and Webhosting Support (I always learn from those)

Frihost is my first Free Host ever, also my first Forum. The hosting has both sentimental value as well is the best quality I've ever had. I used to use it regularly for storing plenty of photos and illustrations, but am now using Imgur for that. But still, Website wise, it's excellent space. Would be sad if I ever had to let go of it for any reason that I'd hate to imagine.
GuidanceReader
I can't ever imagine letting go of my frihost. I have NEVER experienced as great hosting for my website. I'd actually consider paying if Bondings let me (in fact I believe I asked if there was a donation button somewhere).
deanhills
GuidanceReader wrote:
I can't ever imagine letting go of my frihost. I have NEVER experienced as great hosting for my website. I'd actually consider paying if Bondings let me (in fact I believe I asked if there was a donation button somewhere).
I remember when you did. As to what we can do to help Frihost, Bondings posted an announcement about Ways to help Frihost a number of years ago; some of the content is dated, however some of it still relevant. I particularly like this paragraph:
Quote:
The best way to support us, is to make this community a better and more popular place. You can do this by being very active yourself by starting good topics and posts, helping others, using our blogs and other features, ...

Then there is the obvious one about creating links to Frihost at every opportunity we can, as well as posting honest reviews at review sites like FreeWebSpace.net. I've just noticed one ugly review that was posted in September of last year and must have been responsible for Frihost dropping in the ratings. Darn! Hope some Frihosters can make reviews so as to dilute its impact.

Note: You need to register (in the column to the left) first before making a review. If you don't have time for a review, you can also vote - refer rating stars on top of the review section next to "Rating" (click on the fifth star .... Very Happy).
watersoul
deanhills wrote:

Website wise, it's excellent space.

Absolutely agree, I tried loads of free hosts over the years and none compare in my opinion.
I would suggest Frihost to anyone looking for a free quality service, every time, without hesitation.
Qantas94Heavy
watersoul wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Website wise, it's excellent space.

Absolutely agree, I tried loads of free hosts over the years and none compare in my opinion.
I would suggest Frihost to anyone looking for a free quality service, every time, without hesitation.

Frihost isn't my first host that I've tried that was free of charge - although certainly the quality of the hosting rivals paid hosting levels. As a (complete!) noob I naïvely thought that I would be able to use it as a actual testing ground - turns out it took minutes to get into the system, and then I start uploading files (using an online guide :O) to the server, only to have my account taken down for "illegal content", and not providing any detail as to the so-called illegal content. Next turn was with Freehostia - not bad however tiny 500kb file size limit was quite ridiculous - moved off shortly after. After exhaustively looking for another free host, I turned to Frihost, setup an accounted and hoped for the best. It's only been a few months in but the speed is much better, an control panel that's actually somewhat useful and the uptime has not been faulted thus yet. Smile Hope to enjoy more time with Frihost - I really don't want to part just yet! ;(
onebadpenny
I like General Chat and blogs, seems that's close to unanimous. I like the science forums just to read. I don't really know enough to post anything there. But it's great when once in awhile something in a post makes perfect sense and I finally understand something I never did before.
I wish the literature forum was more active. I'm always looking for new book recommendations.
Oh yeah, and cooking. I wish people would post their favorite recipes. I suppose I ould do that, as well.

Anyways D
RoylanM
The post I like to make are mostly in website areas and in general discussions. I rarely make post in the other sections. Sometimes I'll have something good on my mind and then I'll make a topic to discuss it.
Aredon
I laugh in the face of your -5! Razz Not that I'm proud of this accumulated point debt, but I just can't seem to find topics to post in! Usually by the time I arrive in a thread my opinion has been stated by someone else, and posting the same thing just feels silly. I'm also not about to go around starting pointless threads (as you said). So idk, I guess I'm becoming a frihost creeper more than anything. Very Happy
deanhills
Aredon wrote:
I laugh in the face of your -5! Razz Not that I'm proud of this accumulated point debt, but I just can't seem to find topics to post in! Usually by the time I arrive in a thread my opinion has been stated by someone else, and posting the same thing just feels silly. I'm also not about to go around starting pointless threads (as you said). So idk, I guess I'm becoming a frihost creeper more than anything. Very Happy
Why not start a blog, and write about things you like to do, or plan to do or are doing? Or about things that interest you?
Deline
I also prefer the General Chat, where we can talk about anything Smile
Aredon
deanhills wrote:
Why not start a blog, and write about things you like to do, or plan to do or are doing? Or about things that interest you?

I suppose I didn't realize that the blogs counted for points. I was under the impression they didn't.
deanhills
Aredon wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I suppose I didn't realize that the blogs counted for points. I was under the impression they didn't.
They actually do. The same as posts in the other sub-forums.
jazzman
Well, I just came across your thread and am in the same boat, Am back at Frihost after a while and was a little surprised to see my negative balance. So trying to find threads to post in that can be more than simple useless posts. Looks like I am not the only one.
bukaida
Frihost forum is not a place for me just to keep my site alive. It has lots of memories associated with me in these years. I never thought that I would be associated with a forum for such a long time. Most of the people here never met with each other outside this forum, but still are familiar to each other.

And yes, if it is ever found that frihost is under monitory crisis and can not continue further, I will certainly contribute some bucks to the fund. I think we will find quite a lot people here who has the same point of view.
deanhills
bukaida wrote:
And yes, if it is ever found that frihost is under monitory crisis and can not continue further, I will certainly contribute some bucks to the fund. I think we will find quite a lot people here who has the same point of view.
Definitely count me in Bukaida.

Da Rossa
Quote:
Frihost forum is not a place for me just to keep my site alive. It has lots of memories associated with me in these years. I never thought that I would be associated with a forum for such a long time. Most of the people here never met with each other outside this forum, but still are familiar to each other.

Thats marvellous. I'd like to see more people like you (and me)! Been here since 2005 and learnt a lot with this community. Not only practising my English but getting in contact with other cultures too.
watersoul
bukaida wrote:
if it is ever found that frihost is under monitory crisis and can not continue further, I will certainly contribute some bucks to the fund. I think we will find quite a lot people here who has the same point of view.
I would certainly be interested in some private business correspondence with Bondings if he was ever intending to shut Frihost down solely for cash reasons.
deanhills
I can't ever imagine Bondings shutting Frihost down. If that were to happen I'd probably have to eat a hat or something. Would go against every ounce of logic I have. Frihost could probably survive easily for a year or more without Bondings ever visiting the Forum itself. It's at the stage of being self propelled. I'd imagine if anything would happen to the server there would be an automatic e-mail to Bondings, and it won't take much time to sort out whatever needs to be sorted out. The rest can wait.
Da Rossa
That's why I'm comfortable here Smile
playfungames
It is a good thing that you got your numbers up. I too once almost lost my Frihost hosting probably because my points were negative. I did not find about it, had forgotten about posting in frihost and one day when I checked my email, I realized that I had to be back here to get my points up.

Regarding your question on what type of posts that I like to post to, I like posts about techs, mobile phone/apps, general question like this one where you do not have to use a lot of your head and I also like to post on or at least read interesting news updates going around the world.
ratanegra
I like talking about lots of things, but nowadays not much interests me, so I left my points go down to -171. It was kind of an accident (months-long accident), but here I am, amending my errors. I'm now under the -55 mark and that is quite a feat (especially considering that I've just been posting for a couple of hours). I am indeed making tons of posts just for the sake of making them, but some of them are quality posts and the rest are on some non-quality threads anyway, so what the hell. And this one, I don't know if it has a point, but it is quite relevant, so... *clicks submit button*

*then clicks edit button* I forgot to tell you about my favorite subforums. I like hanging out in the Spanish subforum, but it's almost empty, so I spend my time on webdesign, since it's kind of the essence of why I am here on Frihost in the first place. I like to post about religion and philosophy, about history and especially about languages and music.
deanhills
OK this has made my morning. Open Frihost up and at first I thought we had a spammer and NO, that name is familiar, must mean REAL posts coming. Dang .... Ratanegra is back. Awesome! Dancing

OK Webdesign, will definitely check it out today. Razz
ratanegra
deanhills wrote:
OK this has made my morning. Open Frihost up and at first I thought we had a spammer and NO, that name is familiar, must mean REAL posts coming. Dang .... Ratanegra is back. Awesome! Dancing

Well, hello. I didn't know you were European. It's 11:41pm here.
deanhills
ratanegra wrote:
deanhills wrote:

It's 8:37 a.m. here in the UAE - Middle East. We're about two to three hours ahead of people living in the UK, Netherlands, and probably Spain as well?
ratanegra
deanhills wrote:
ratanegra wrote:
deanhills wrote:

It's 8:37 a.m. here in the UAE - Middle East. We're about two to three hours ahead of people living in the UK, Netherlands, and probably Spain as well?

Oh, you're from the Emirates!? I'd never had guessed.

And just following the thread, I'm on 18 positive points already, this couldn't get any better.
deanhills
Right. You're almost over 45, which is when the coins will start to roll in. Great stuff.

Just noticed Mrs. Robota posting as well. Getting better and better. Cool
drjim
and then there's me! a new comer who's looking for hosting and a welcoming community, which this forum appears to be!

so i'm in the process of getting my numbers up via posting in hopes of getting this hosting, possibly a domain if i can post enough Razz, and make some new internet friends!
deanhills
drjim wrote:
and then there's me! a new comer who's looking for hosting and a welcoming community, which this forum appears to be!

so i'm in the process of getting my numbers up via posting in hopes of getting this hosting, possibly a domain if i can post enough Razz, and make some new internet friends!
This is wishing you best of good luck with your new hosting space. Great to have someone new in the community and hopefully with a little patience you will have hosting soon.
drjim
ah yes, the patience bit seems to most definitely be required. submitted a request for webhosting from frihost just yesterday, but i have yet to receive a conformation for the setup of said hosting. all is well though, i can practice patience no problemo. Smile

and thanks for the kind words! it's much appreciated.
arcticwolf
so people at -5 do they lose the free hosting account?
codegeek
arcticwolf wrote:
so people at -5 do they lose the free hosting account?

They're supposed to get a warning at -5 and at -10 their hosting account is suspended. However, this is handled by the staff and they're not around very often. So, it's very improbable that people will have their hosting cancelled. But you should still continue posting just to be on the safe side. Wink
Afaceinthematrix
When I have the time (which is rare these day) and am not exhausted (which is also rare these days), I like to go to the philosophy and religion forum. I enjoy the science forum as well. However, that also requires time and energy. Lately, I've been trying to fight my way out of negative and so I post in the general chat forum. I definitely do not spam but I find it easier to get out a few quick posts here and get my points up a little. I am trying to get to 45 so that I will be set for a while. I don't see that happening, though.
tonberry
I'm having a slightly bigger problem than you, I'm afraid, check my numbers to see for yourself Smile To be honest, I completely forgot that such thing as Frihost forum exists and when I got to setting up my website, that was about it.

It will probably be hard to even get to zero in my case, as there is not much activity on the forums lately. I hope they don't take it down, as it is just like you said: it is the best free hosting there is. I've had few paid options that were 5x worse than what is here for free Smile
markharris
That is great buddy, keep it up Smile
Aredon
tonberry wrote:
I'm having a slightly bigger problem than you, I'm afraid, check my numbers to see for yourself Smile To be honest, I completely forgot that such thing as Frihost forum exists and when I got to setting up my website, that was about it.

It will probably be hard to even get to zero in my case, as there is not much activity on the forums lately. I hope they don't take it down, as it is just like you said: it is the best free hosting there is. I've had few paid options that were 5x worse than what is here for free Smile

Don't worry too much, just contribute what you can. Id personally rather contribute meaningful content than insure I've farmed enough points for the day (it just feels kind of wrong I guess). I've found the community to be pretty forgiving with regards to negative points. Smile
Ankhanu
Aredon wrote:
tonberry wrote:

Don't worry too much, just contribute what you can. Id personally rather contribute meaningful content than insure I've farmed enough points for the day (it just feels kind of wrong I guess). I've found the community to be pretty forgiving with regards to negative points. Smile

That's a good approach, I think. Better have quality than quantity.

That said, perhaps the admin types will have the time to address some of the point reset requests that have been made to help people regain positive point totals. They seem pretty busy these days.