FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I Add a 2nd Free Website on Frihost?

Dennise
I'm on server 3.

I am attempting to use DirectAdmin to add a 2nd Website on FriHost, and cannot do so.

Entering e.g. my2ndwebsite.frih.org in the Add Domain box doesn't work nor do variations of that. It either says 'invalid domain' or 'files not found'.

Iv'e read the FAQs, but I just can't seem to get any traction for adding a 2nd FriHost free website.

What am I doing wrong? Are multiple free websites allowed on FriHost?
watersoul
Hi, you're allowed multiple sub-domains but yourspace.frih.org has to be the root.
Have you tried adding 2ndwebsite.yourspace.frih.org yet? That should work, but like I am watersoul.frihost.net, on server 1, I can only add a new space as newspace.watersoul.frihost.net.
You can always add a completely new domain which you buy blah.com and by adding it to your fri space it appears as its own dedicated site.
Hope thats helpful.
johans
Dennise wrote:
I'm on server 3.

I am attempting to use DirectAdmin to add a 2nd Website on FriHost, and cannot do so.

Entering e.g. my2ndwebsite.frih.org in the Add Domain box doesn't work nor do variations of that. It either says 'invalid domain' or 'files not found'.

Iv'e read the FAQs, but I just can't seem to get any traction for adding a 2nd FriHost free website.

Yap you are allowed to add as many domain as you need as long as your space is not in quota.
twotrophy
johans wrote:
Dennise wrote:
I'm on server 3.

Yap you are allowed to add as many domain as you need as long as your space is not in quota.

This is true. You are allowed to have unlimited domains as long as you keep to the 1500 MB space which is enough for most people. But unfortunately, I am not sure how does one create them.
Qantas94Heavy
Dennise wrote:
I'm on server 3.

Unfortunately, you cannot add another subdomain of frih.org to your website, nor any of the other various Frihost subdomains. However, there are numerous free subdomain sites, that you can use to add another one to. As well, you can add a subdomain of myfirstsite.frih.org and that will work fine.
metalfreek
Qantas94Heavy wrote:
Dennise wrote:
I'm on server 3.

Unfortunately, you cannot add another subdomain of frih.org to your website, nor any of the other various Frihost subdomains. However, there are numerous free subdomain sites, that you can use to add another one to. As well, you can add a subdomain of myfirstsite.frih.org and that will work fine.

That's not correct. I have recently added another .frih.org domain without any problem. There might be some error on domain name. It might be already taken.
Dennise
I'm really confused ...... some say yes and some say no.

May I put my question in another - more specific - way?

If - for example - my existing website today is : mywebsite1.frihost.org, can I add another completely different website: mywebsite2.frihost.org to my existing Frihost account? So my specific questions are:

1. Can I do this as in the above example?
2. Can I do this without a subdomain (I don't understand these) ?
3. I am on server 3. Exactly how do I setup the 2nd website in my account?
4. Do I use ControlPanel or DirectAdmin on server 3?

The info/help I find on Frihost mentions Frihost servers 1 and 2, but nothing is said about server 3.

Thanks for your posts, but I'm still confused. Help!
watersoul
Dennise wrote:
I'm really confused ...... some say yes and some say no.

May I put my question in another - more specific - way?

If - for example - my existing website today is : mywebsite1.frihost.org, can I add another completely different website: mywebsite2.frihost.org to my existing Frihost account?

No you you need another hosting account to do that.
mywebsite1.frihost.org is your dedicated space on server 3
My dedicated server space on server 1 is watersoul.frihost.net.

I can create sub domains to it such as mywebsite2.watersoul.frihost.net which will appear as an independent website, but I cannot change watersoul.frihost.net into watersoul2.frihost.net because Bondings allocates the space from frihost.net. He also allocates the subdomains from frihost.org.

You can add a domain which you buy such as blahblah.com and point it to mywebsite.frihost.org and it will appear as if it is in it's own space to the end user, but in reality, all your files etc will still be hosted on mywebsite.frihost.org.

So, if you have got mywebsite.frihost.org you can only add subdomains to it such as 2ndwebsite.mywebsite.frihost.org. If you want somethingdifferent.frihost.org only Bondings can make the change for you and I assume that is unlikely unless there is an important reason to do so.
Dennise
Thanks for your clarification watersoul.

Which tool do I use to setup my 2nd website? DirectAdmin or ControlPanel.

I can access DirectAdmin, but how can I access ControlPanel?
watersoul
Ah, sorry, can't help you there, I've only ever had control panel on server 1 and not direct admin.
On my own paid hosting I have control panel as well so it would be a total guess as to how any of the direct admin functions work.

This could help maybe: http://www.bluetreehost.com/support/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=31

Again though, never used it so just stabbing in the dark here now Wink

*EDIT*
If you do have access to control panel you should get to it by going to:
yourwebspace.frihost.org/cpanel

I access mine at watersoul.frihost.net/cpanel

Hope that helps.
crystalkey
I have 6 websites hosted here. Instead of using subdomains, just register a real domain name with a domain registrar such as GoDaddy, an dpoint the DNS records to frihost. Use Directadmin to create a matching domain name which you have registered, allow for 24 hours for the DNS servers to synchronize across the web, and start having fun.

You really need your own domain name to make the most of it. There are plenty of cheap alternatives out there.
Peterssidan
To add a subdomain in DirectAdmin go to Subdomain Management. Fill in a subdomain name where it says Add Sub-Domain: and press Create. A directory with the same name as the subdomain should now be in your public_html directory. It can take a while before the subdomain starts to work everywhere.
metalfreek
To add another domain just go to Domain Administration on direct admin, click on Add another domain and on Domain: field give your domain name like mysite2.frihost.org and hit create. That's it.
manfer
metalfreek wrote:
To add another domain just go to Domain Administration on direct admin, click on Add another domain and on Domain: field give your domain name like mysite2.frihost.org and hit create. That's it.

If this is really working you shouldn't be doing this. I don't think that Bondings pretended to have that allowed and must be a flaw on direct admin. Only Bondings which is the owner of the domain should be allowed to make subdomains of frihost.org domain.

If we all were doing this a day will come that a person subscribes to get hosting and his forum username (which is the one used for the hosting subdomain) is not available because someone has decided to create a subdomain with that name.

If there is some sort of automatic script that creates the hosting account an error is going to happen. If it is done manually it is not a big problem if it happens once but if people go on and on doing it then in the future can make it very difficult for the admin.

You should stay with subdomains of metalfreek.frihost.org or get other domains to use.

Let's make very clear that this is only my opinion of course. Only the hosting staff can say if that is allowed or not.
Peterssidan
metalfreek wrote:
Which version of DirectAdmin is this? I can't find anything called Domain Administration in DirectAdmin 1.42.1 (server 2).
manfer
Peterssidan wrote:
metalfreek wrote:
Which version of DirectAdmin is this? I can't find anything called Domain Administration in DirectAdmin 1.42.1 (server 2).

It is the one on Server 4 (at least) which has that function on the Home of Direct Admin. On that home page a list of your domains is shown with that button called Domain Administration.

But I suppose it is only a matter of configuration (or that only appears when you have more than one domain, so if you only have the assigned domain and never added one, then you don't see it). In direct admin demo site the same functionality is placed in one of the "Your account" section menu options and it is called Domain Setup. In the one on Server 2 probably looks the same. Though I bet most probable you don't see it because you have only one domain.

http://www.directadmin.com/demo.html
Dennise
OK, I tried to setup a subdomain website using DirectAdmin on server 3 (the URL I have is http://cp.frih.prg, but it brings up DirectAdmin).

It doesn't work. All I get is "Could not execute your request. You do not own that domain."

Of course I don't own the domain ..... I'm trying to create it.

Any ideas?

Help !!!
Peterssidan
manfer wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

It is the one on Server 4 (at least) which has that function on the Home of Direct Admin. On that home page a list of your domains is shown with that button called Domain Administration.

But I suppose it is only a matter of configuration (or that only appears when you have more than one domain, so if you only have the assigned domain and never added one, then you don't see it). In direct admin demo site the same functionality is placed in one of the "Your account" section menu options and it is called Domain Setup. In the one on Server 2 probably looks the same. Though I bet most probable you don't see it because you have only one domain.

http://www.directadmin.com/demo.html

Now I see it, but yeah, it's the same page you get to when clicking Domain Setup.

Dennise wrote:
OK, I tried to setup a subdomain website using DirectAdmin on server 3 (the URL I have is http://cp.frih.prg, but it brings up DirectAdmin).

It doesn't work. All I get is "Could not execute your request. You do not own that domain."

Of course I don't own the domain ..... I'm trying to create it.

Any ideas?

Help !!!

Are you sure you didn't try to add a TLD?
metalfreek
Ok here is my direct admin version DirectAdmin 1.42.1

Here is my link to domain administration page
http://mysite.frih.org:2222/CMD_ADDITIONAL_DOMAINS

My server: Server: 3 (DirectAdmin)

My IP: 64.120.224.218

I just tried it and I can successfully add another domain. My default domain is completeguide.frih.org and I was able to add another domain without error.
zimmer
just enter the server name and ip address on your host domain name provider and enter the domain name on your direct admin.
Dennise
OK, I'm getting there.

Apparently, there are multiple ways to access various versions of DirectAdmin (I think that's what I'm to use on Server 3). When I use http://www.frih.net/2222, I get a DirectAdmin version that does accept my sub domain request and appears to have set up a folder for my new website files. But there are still two questions I have.

1. After I FTP'd my files to my sub domain root folder, I ended up with two index files ...... my new website's index AND the index 'placeholder' file that DirectAdmin pre-installed when it setup my new folder. I can't seem to get rid of DirectAdmin's preinstalled index file. How do I do that?

2. In DirectAdmin, I now have newwebsite.orignialwewsite.frih.org, where newwebsite is now a sub domain of originalwebsite. What is the URL for newwebsite?

Is it newwebsite.originalwebsite.frih.org or is it just newwebsite.frih.org?

Thanks in advance for sticking with me on this!
Dennise
Got it! My second (sub-domain'd) website is now active and working.

Frihost rocks!!

Thanks to all for your timely help and suggestions!
shopquanaodoi
zimmer wrote:
just enter the server name and ip address on your host domain name provider and enter the domain name on your direct admin.

thanks